Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Royal_Sir

SLCE- New Mapper with new concept

Hello, I'm new to the forums, and I wanted to attempt something that has not been done before. After some brainstorming, SLCE was the result.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/slce

This two-map wad is centered around a single idea: build a series of maps using the same exact map layout, and make it feel different through the use of height values, texturing, lighting, and things placement.

I understand that this may be a little confusing, so allow me to explain.

Here is my template map. A simple symmetrical 1024 layout, with octagons on three corners. It was purposely small and relatively simple so 1) I could make it quickly and 2) to show that intricate detailing isn't needed to make the same map feel different. I built 2 maps from this, one that follows a techbase layout and the other which feels like a cluster of hellish buildings.

Here is a preview of map 1, DEPOT:

Spoiler

You start in the square corner with some crates, and fight through the central area before encountering miniboss fights in the corners. This map plays almost symmetrical, and offers close combat and scarce ammo. I think it has decent map flow for a beginner mapper.

Think the next level will look rather similar? If you look closely, maybe. But TEMPLE may surprise you on how differently it looks and plays.
Spoiler

This map looks much more assymmetrical, and features fighting on the outside regions before finally pushing into the blood pools and temple. Due to issues I could not make a monster teleport for the inside region battle, which is rather disappointing, but other than that is allright in terms of gameplay. Like the previous map, ammo is scarce, and should not be wasted, although you shouldn't have to use fists if you're careful.

First version is released! Future versions will probably be found on a third party website. I only want to upload milestone versions to the archives.

To make monsters teleport, make a little room where the monsters are initially, a straight connection with only 1 pixel tall so monsters can see you pass through it and make a WR Teleport line inside the monsters' room that aims to the area where you want monsters to teleport (alongside with teleport destination things, of course).

It's easy, it's efficient, it's cool! :) This is my method, but there are thousands of others, like dropping the monsters through a ledge so tall that the top can't be seen, or teleporting them via a common teleporter inside a room where they HEAR (don't see) via a small tunnel.

Very cool to see you made this. I actually had the same idea but never acted on it. I think it would be a very interesting community project to just take the raw sectors and linedefs from the original Doom/Doom 2 maps and completely recontextualize them.

Interesting concept, though I would probably lose the symmetry in the layout and definitely dial back the number of lines that are there for purely decorative purposes. Mappers will find it easier and more inviting to come up with their own unique takes on the layout if there's less finicky detail stuff to worry about.

Looking forward to the wad, would be a cool megawad project/experiment to see if 32 maps can be made with that template without growing tiresome to the player.

There are a ton of unknown patch warnings on the startup, though the maps look fine in game. There is barely ammo that I had to play on ITYTD to have some proper supplies, but everything is too cramped to be enjoyable, I didn't even finished the maps sorry. The 1024 restriction was too much, this could have worked better if the places were a bit more expanded as the layout seems nice.

It still impressive even with 1024 limitation, Mr italian. That's what makes it impressive IMHO. Especially since rf1024 was also cramped and it still was a lot fun! :)

gaspe said:

There are a ton of unknown patch warnings on the startup, though the maps look fine in game. There is barely ammo that I had to play on ITYTD to have some proper supplies, but everything is too cramped to be enjoyable, I didn't even finished the maps sorry. The 1024 restriction was too much, this could have worked better if the places were a bit more expanded as the layout seems nice.

Yeah, sorry. I only balanced for UV, and not any other difficulties. Will remedy in the future.

Also, I don't know how to get rid of the unknown patch warnings. If someone could help me on that, I would appreciate it.

RottingZombie said:

Looking forward to the wad, would be a cool megawad project/experiment to see if 32 maps can be made with that template without growing tiresome to the player.

I may have to change the map slightly to get a lot more mileage out of it, namely by adding a couple linedefs in the two big rooms to the north and west. The two released maps shouldn't change at all, apart from some fixing up, but turning this example into a more fully developed series will require a little tweaks to the base map. I'll release it as SLCO, Same Linedef Challenge Official, to regard this.