Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

2 hours ago, Pechudin said:

1) The music in DooM/DooM II is not that good, compared to Duke Nukem 3D, RoTT, Marathon and other contemporaries the music track is relatively meh to boring, with a few exceptions (like E2M5/E2M6, perhaps E2M2 and certainly E2M8). It also frequently does not really complement the atmosphere, like someone slapped together random maps and music without considering if they fit together. Sorry Bobby.

I disagree. Some of the Doom/Ultimate Doom tracks are excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKHOiTE_2sM - E1M3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV9-qjskkqs - E1M8 - A particular favourite of mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5KVMnS9zgY&t=42s - E4M3

^ Wholeheartedly agree! E1M3 and E1M5 are two of my favourites. Yes, Duke 3D, Shadow Warrior, Rott etc. all have some great tracks, but also a fair amount of stinkers. Sorry Bobby² (Duke's E3M3 for instance)

On 2/26/2020 at 11:17 PM, Paul977 said:

Go 2 It is from Milo Casali not Dario : )

Sandy Petersen (original Entryway) and Milo Casali

The Pain Elemental in a secret area in E1M1 (MAP01) of PSX Doom was pointless.

On 2/13/2020 at 12:37 AM, Solmyr said:

D_RUNNIN is even worse.

Would be worse without the organ droning away in the background!

30 minutes ago, pcorf said:

Is that a controversial view though?

I think that was a nod to people who were familiar with PC Doom because if PSX Doom was your first Doom experience then you wouldn't know that the PE was not present in that location in the original version.

4 hours ago, Uncle 80 said:

^ Wholeheartedly agree! E1M3 and E1M5 are two of my favourites. Yes, Duke 3D, Shadow Warrior, Rott etc. all have some great tracks, but also a fair amount of stinkers. Sorry Bobby² (Duke's E3M3 for instance)

Hah, yeah Bobby did some Duke and RoTT soundtrack as well, true. I cannot agree, however. Maybe it's all the repeat times I have heard the DooM soundtrack that makes them sound kinda meh, but hey, it is called controversial opinions. On the whole, RoTT, Duke, Marathon seem to mesh maps and music better.

... I kinda wish Romero didn't make Bobby just rip off various metal bands, moody soudtrack would fit DooM a lot better (E2M6 being my favourite).

Aside from the few exclusive maps and different atmosphere with colored lighting and different music, Doom 2 enemies being sprinkled throughout Doom 1 maps on UV is a major thing that makes me want to play though PSXDoom on PC.   And don't think you can get the SSG to more easily contend with them until you get to the Doom 2 maps.

1 hour ago, Gokuma said:

Aside from the few exclusive maps and different atmosphere with colored lighting and different music, Doom 2 enemies being sprinkled throughout Doom 1 maps on UV is a major thing that makes me want to play though PSXDoom on PC.   And don't think you can get the SSG to more easily contend with them until you get to the Doom 2 maps.

PSX Doom has real transparency so the Spectre looks really transparent instead of the fuzzy effect. I prefer the fuzzy effect but it's interesting to see it looking differently. Moreover, there is the Nightmare Spectre, it uses subtractive blending and has twice the healthpoints, so it is literally a new monster, it is scary to meet if you just have the shotgun!

8 hours ago, Gaia74 said:

I never liked the idea that a cyberdemon or the spider demon goes from being an powerful boss, to being a recurring enemy

To me the cyberdemon is just an extremely unfun enemy to fight. Insane bullet sponge and one-shots you if you make one slip-up. It was okay on E2M8, but i'm sick of wads using him like a mini-boss.

Strain had the smart idea of making a Dehacked mini-cybie. It had the cyberdemon's attack but way less health so it functioned as a glass cannon.

15 minutes ago, whirledtsar said:

a Dehacked mini-cybie

I prefer Valiant and Eviternity's takes on those bastards.

Spoiler

The latter gave them goddamn chainguns so you are being forced to take cover immediately when you see them.

On 2/27/2020 at 5:49 PM, pcorf said:

Sandy Petersen (original Entryway) and Milo Casali

I wouldn't call it a 'collab map' tbh

Guest Unregistered account

I think Level 17: Tenements is fine. Only thing I dislike is that Arachnotron in the acid pit that you can't properly shoot because of vertical autoaim since it's always too close to the side of the pit you're trying to fire at it from. I can accept that it's so low and the walls either side are so high that you can't hurt it until you face it, that's cool - but then Romero should have lowered the floor you actually reach it from so that you can shoot it!

Otherwise, I think it's a fine level with some interesting traps, a simple but fun layout, and isn't ugly like a lot of others in Doom II.

Edited by Unregistered account

Just like how some people believe that you're not a true Star Wars fan until you've watched the Holiday Special, I think that you are not a true, proper, legit Doom fan... unless you've played through Maximum Doom. 

Spoiler

Not really, I'm just a sadist and want more people to suffer through it like I did

3 hours ago, Saltman said:

I don't like Refueling Base.

I actually agree. A lot of people compare it to E1 from UD (maybe because it's techbase-y and Tom Hall was involved?), but besides the barracks room, it's kind of just feels like a hodgepodge of encounters to me. I also usually don't focus on the visual details of the maps I play, but damn is it ugly...

I just replayed that bastard today, and I personally think it's one of the best in D2 - probably one of the most difficult certainly.  Screw pistol-starting this one

1 hour ago, Maximum Matt said:

Just like how some people believe that you're not a true Star Wars fan until you've watched the Holiday Special, I think that you are not a true, proper, legit Doom fan... unless you've played through Maximum Doom. 

Reveal hidden contents

Not really, I'm just a sadist and want more people to suffer through it like I did

The only was that analogy could have worked was if the Holiday Special was a fanfic and no element from it was considered Canon at any point in the franchise's history. 

1 hour ago, Maximum Matt said:

I just replayed that bastard today, and I personally think it's one of the best in D2 - probably one of the most difficult certainly.  Screw pistol-starting this one

Refulling Base is not that hard to pistol start compared to some other maps. The hardest map to pistol start in Doom 2 is probably "Barrels O'Fun". Although I haven't seriously tried pistol-starting it, I feel that it might be even harder than any map of Plutonia.

2 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Refulling Base is not that hard to pistol start compared to some other maps. The hardest map to pistol start in Doom 2 is probably "Barrels O'Fun". Although I haven't seriously tried pistol-starting it, I feel that it might be even harder than any map of Plutonia.

As someone who still dies in the IWADs occasionally, I can say that it is in fact easy to die on Refueling Base if you don't go for the weapons at the start and take the wrong route afterwards. I find that going into the hitscan infested city-like area is actually the best approach to take, because it's full of meaningful powerups. Then the one with the RL, and so on. But if you go the wrong way it is pretty easy to die actually.

Barrels of Fun is also a bitch, because of that wave of Pinkies on one sides at the start, but otherwise it's an easy map. That's pretty much the only risky area, and not getting cornered there.

@noisebloom I think the reason why it's being compared to E1 of Doom is because it WAS supposed to be part of the OG Doom, but it was not finished in time and only made it into Doom 2. I wonder where it would've fit in Doom, though, I can never imagine any possible slots for it, and I don't think its style fits the original very well. Maybe a secret map of sorts.

58 minutes ago, seed said:

As someone who still dies in the IWADs occasionally, I can say that it is in fact easy to die on Refueling Base if you don't go for the weapons at the start and take the wrong route afterwards. I find that going into the hitscan infested city-like area is actually the best approach to take, because it's full of meaningful powerups. Then the one with the RL, and so on. But if you go the wrong way it is pretty easy to die actually.

Yeah it is pretty easy to die if one does not know the right route. But if you know about the starting shotgun secret and the take right route, then it is not that bad. Few weeks ago, I did a casual UV pistol start of the map and managed to beat it on what was probably my 2nd attempt (and I am not even well versed with the iwads).

58 minutes ago, seed said:

Barrels of Fun is also a bitch, because of that wave of Pinkies on one sides at the start, but otherwise it's an easy map. That's pretty much the only risky area, and not getting cornered there.

Well I haven't seriously tried it yet, but I imagine that the 5-6 pain elementals could be problematic when all that the player has is only a berserk and a shotty. This is just my speculation.

EDIT: Just gave Barrels of Fun a try. I died on my first attempt due to the pain elementals. On my second attempt, I managed to berserk them quickly and then I managed to beat the rest of the map without much trouble. So maybe I was overestimating the difficulty.

Edited by ReaperAA

54 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Well I haven't seriously tried it yet, but I imagine that the 5-6 pain elementals could be problematic when all that the player has is only a berserk and a shotty. This is just my speculation.

EDIT: Just gave Barrels of Fun a try. I died on my first attempt due to the pain elementals. On my second attempt, I managed to berserk them quickly and then I managed to beat the rest of the map without much trouble. So maybe I was overestimating the difficulty.

The PEs are actually easy, even more so if you take a speedrunning approach to the area. It's the Pinkies on the other side that can be annoying sometimes.

24 minutes ago, seed said:

The PEs are actually easy, even more so if you take a speedrunning approach to the area. It's the Pinkies on the other side that can be annoying sometimes.

Odd. I actually found the pinkies to be easy (I took no damage there) while PEs gave me trouble. Though I admit the PEs were not as bad as I first imagined.

On 2/27/2020 at 5:53 PM, pcorf said:

I think , in the contrary , it was a nice touch.

Any map where you regularly find yourself holding down fire continuously for more than 45 seconds with the same weapon is boring rubbish.

Okay, I've got a pretty controversial one now-

Just started playing Paradise the other day, and while Supercharge is in my top 3 favorite weapon mods, and is adaptable to a wide variety of Wads in my opinion... I just don't think Paradise is that enjoyable. It's not bad, I don't necessarily dislike it or hate it, but it's so obsessed with being as abusively difficult as possible at every given turn, throwing waves of mid-tiers and usually a boss in closed arena after closed arena at you... even with the "ample health", the gameplay is just barbaric most of the time, to where its nearly disspiriting- "Another ambush, and I'm still below 30%". Now, of course, when you succeed you do feel like a badass, but I wish the pacing would even out a little so I could enjoy the maps instead of just feeling oppressed and assaulted at every turn. I guess when your difficulty settings go from "Casual" to "Tough" with no option in between, and I think I've played enough Doom at this point to no longer be casual... maybe that's to be expected...but still... I feel like something like Rowdy Rudy (until the last two maps) found the sweet spot on "Tough" difficulty to giving a steady and satisfying challenge that kept you on alert and engaged without crushing the player all the time. 

I want to love it, since I adore Supercharge as a mod, but I can only appreciate it and find fleeting enjoyment and a sense of accomplishment.

13 hours ago, seed said:

@noisebloom I think the reason why it's being compared to E1 of Doom is because it WAS supposed to be part of the OG Doom, but it was not finished in time and only made it into Doom 2. I wonder where it would've fit in Doom, though, I can never imagine any possible slots for it, and I don't think its style fits the original very well. Maybe a secret map of sorts.

Sandy Peterson said Tom Hall had intended for it to be the boss map at the end of the episode and he was like, “Lol wut” (direct quote) and slapped what is now E1M8 in that spot instead.

22 hours ago, noisebloom said:

I actually agree. A lot of people compare it to E1 from UD (maybe because it's techbase-y and Tom Hall was involved?), but besides the barracks room, it's kind of just feels like a hodgepodge of encounters to me. I also usually don't focus on the visual details of the maps I play, but damn is it ugly...

And the secrets are repetitive.