Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

Epic 2 is a bad wad.

I played through half of it and it was filled with tight corridors, progress hidden behind random walls and a lot of unintuitive design choices. The textures are nice, and make the wad feel unique, but the detail is quite low and no location is particularly amazing to look at. My gameplay experience ranged from average to absolutely miserable while playing this wad. Hadn't I known that this came out in 2010, I would've thought it was made in the year 2001 or something.

The Marauder is one of the best designed and most interesting enemies to fight in Doom Eternal.

I keep hearing this: "The Marauder is bad because he forces you to fight differently" and I just don't understand that. That's exactly why I like him, he forced me to think and plan differently and adapt to a new challenge, which added some neat variety to the usual way of dealing with the demons. Even in an arena full of other things, I simply wiped the battlefield clean while trying to keep out of his reach, which was like a fun chase, until it was just him and I for a badass 1 on 1. Even trying to deal with him while other demons are attacking is an interesting challenge.

I love the Marauder.

I recently decided to try TNT again and Mt. Pain is one of the better levels in that mapset. The one following it, the Casali level, is even better. Cannot understand how people say it’s not worth playing after map 26.

8 hours ago, Lorenz0 said:

Epic 2 is a bad wad.

I played through half of it and it was filled with tight corridors, progress hidden behind random walls and a lot of unintuitive design choices. The textures are nice, and make the wad feel unique, but the detail is quite low and no location is particularly amazing to look at. My gameplay experience ranged from average to absolutely miserable while playing this wad. Hadn't I known that this came out in 2010, I would've thought it was made in the year 2001 or something.

That's funny because I recently played through Epic 2 and enjoyed it a lot more than I remembered from when I played it the first time. The "puzzle" style level progression is definitely not going to be for everyone though, for sure. As for detail, it's vanilla compatible, and I thought the texture use was enough to make it look good and have a lot of atmosphere.

41 minutes ago, Faceman2000 said:

I recently decided to try TNT again and Mt. Pain is one of the better levels in that mapset. The one following it, the Casali level, is even better. Cannot understand how people say it’s not worth playing after map 26.

People usually say it’s not worth playing after map 20. It is generally agreed that Evilution's last third is awful.

That being said, I disagree. Sure, Habitat is ugly and awful, we all know that, but besides that? Administration Centre and Mount Pain are nowhere near as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Lunar Mining Project, Quarry and Ballistyx are kinda forgettable but not bad by any means, just average. I like Baron's Den, although I understand why people don't like it, it is a mess. River Styx and Heck though? Genuinely great maps, some of TNT's best and absolutely worth playing. 

The last third is definitely the weakest but it's still worth playing. 

Guest Unregistered account

Doom II levels should be referred to by "Level xx" rather than "Map xx", since "map" is more of a technical term or engine definition whereas "level" is historically associated with video game... levels. But don't just take it from me, take it from the original .exe which also displays level names with "Level xx" on the automap!

Since I've known most of the caveats of Doom's gameplay for a while, some monsters have sadly become less engaging. Pain Elementals, for instance, never pose much of a threat (at least in official Doom levels) since I know I can just run in their face and they can't hurt me in any way. Demons too, since you can just hop back a bit or stay moving each time they try to bite you (which is one of the many reasons Nightmare flips the script and changes how you play for which I'm grateful for). 

On mardi 31 mars 2020 at 11:20 PM, Phobos Anomaly said:

I wish Memory Alpha could find another solution for their website. As a diehard Trekkie, I peruse it often, and I hate that they use fandom. But I understand, maintaining a website can be expensive. 

It is annoying that so many wikis are on The Shitty Wikifarm Formerly Known As Wikia. Notably there's no good independent wiki for games like Duke Nukem, Descent, Quake, etc. The independent Quake wiki that exists is only about modding for Quake 1, so it's not usable for info about the Quake levels, entities, soundtrack, etc.

For example, when filling in Doomguy's vinyl collection, I could get good interwiki links for the Wolf and Keen stuff, but not for the Quake II/III/Champions stuff. I had to fall back on Wikipedia instead.

Doom 3 is a good Doom game.

Vanilla is not a bad way to play the game at all. (This is more controversial for people that you wouldn't find in this forum)

The only things I like about Doom II are the super shotgun and additional monster roster. I really don't like the level design/texture set etc. Too many brown brick libraries!

vanilla doom is unacceptable with a modern (2005-2020) monitor due to the 16:9 aspect ratio, lack of vsync, and the low resolution. i'll give a pass to early 2000s monitors cause they were mostly still 4:3 CRTs back then with 1600x1200 max.

Sorta off-topic, but we have reached the 64th page, sometime after the re-release of DOOM 64!

On 4/4/2020 at 12:53 AM, Andromeda said:

Memento Mori is harder than Plutonia (UV from a pistol start).

I have to agree with this, MM2 is a legendary wad.

4 hours ago, versionfiv said:

vanilla doom is unacceptable with a modern (2005-2020) monitor due to the 16:9 aspect ratio, lack of vsync, and the low resolution. i'll give a pass to early 2000s monitors cause they were mostly still 4:3 CRTs back then with 1600x1200 max.

You can fix the aspect ratio with most source ports. There is even a way to fix it if you're playing the original executable through dosbox.

I like playing Doom in DOSBox, actually have a (incomplete) launcher fixed up specifically for it.

Though I don't like how DOSBox loads in windowed mode, not centered to screen. 

~yes I know there's some system variables that could be set, but I don't like having to do that heh.

On 2/2/2016 at 3:57 PM, rdwpa said:

Of course, the way these threads usually turn out, it's probably going to be a compilation of pseudoedgy opinions that most people actually believe, but whatever.

Anyway: I'm getting extremely tired of the term "slaughter" in any form. The fact that it even exists bunches up my panties because it normalizes "non-slaughter gameplay" and positions slaughter in some kind of niche, when -- to me at least -- a lot of what people consider slaughter gameplay is NORMAL Doom, and you have to go way up to Sunder or CS2 scale before I consider a map a slaughtermap. How about we call slaughtermaps just maps, and invent the term "WEENIEMAP" for the combat-centric maps that don't fit the slaughter or claustrophobia or whatever else categories. (Yes, I also think it's fine -- nay, CORRECT -- to retroactively relabel old maps once considered to be slaughtermaps according to the evolved standards and expectations of the present day. Fluidity of language and all.)

I don't know if this is controversial, but I think Doom 1 is far more cohesive than Doom 2. The majority of the level design in Doom 2 i don't like - some of the levels seem rushed and hastily put together. However, the first 3 episodes of Doom 1 take me on an immersive journey that is beautifully paced and designed.

I also think the super shotgun is over-powered and makes Doom 2 far less "tactical" than Doom 1. Doom 2 tries to compensate for this by having harder monsters, and larger slaughter-style maps, but I still think the SS is overpowered and removes much of the tension that Doom 1 had. 

2 hours ago, versionfiv said:

so what, that's the least important of the three things i mentioned

I don't know how you personally rank the importance of all the issues you mentioned, and I wasn't trying to address every point you made.

My point was that the aspect ratio can be fixed in dosbox, that's it, and that addresses one of the issues you have.

That's what.

Welp here goes nothin.

1. While I do really like Sigil's hellish textural design, it's too tedious to play. It's like did Romero get a boner for claustrophobic ledges and hallways and just pitch darkness one day and try to mix it in with Plutonia-like bullshit enemy placement? Honestly very underwhelmed with it when it first came out and still am. Only few parts of it are fun to play. Also BucketHeads ost doesn't fit the atmosphere of the game at all whatsoever. It's like Romero tried too hard or something idk.

2. I know little to no secret locations in Doom and Doom II. Something I've been wanting to do though lately is find them all. I just didn't really care about it before.

3. While there's a lot of things that I do really like about Doom Eternal, sometimes it just feels like it's Hugo Martin's vision of Doom when I'm playing it. It's also a very exhausting game, it's like I need to be in this like super concentrated and energized state to play it without dying constantly. I can play the game well it's just it's usually draining.

4. I prefer the Doom 3 Hell Knight design over the original. Pardon me for preferring uniqueness and creativity rather than just a recolored model of an already existing enemy.

5. John Romero's ego was too big for his own good (may not be controversial but I know there's some Romero dick riders in the Doom community).

6. I enjoy Brootal Dewm. Have to be in a mood for it though. Can understand the criticism it gets.

7. I really liked SnapMap. Will never be anything compared to like Slade or the Doom Builders but it was just a fun little thing to play around with and make cool shit.

8. Much prefer Doom 2016's ost over Doom Eternals. Eternals has like, 2-3 cool songs, but everything else just sounds like muddled electronic noise that just gets annoying on the ears over time. The Gladiator boss fight is a perfect example of this. Whereas 2016, I swear every song was a fucking banger. The death metal chorus was pretty damn awesome though.

9. People like to argue over Eternals MP choice, and I think Arena PvP & Battlemode are both shitty choices. They should've went down a more survival-coop route, 6 players in a big open arena taking on hordes of demons together. Sounds so much better.

10. Doom 3, even BFG Edition, is a good game. It's definitely Doom. Just in different pacing.

50 minutes ago, SovereignX9 said:

I know little to no secret locations in Doom and Doom II. Something I've been wanting to do though lately is find them all. I just didn't really care about it before.

Episode 1 of Doom is the only episode in which I know where all the secrets are. Doom 2 I know the first 5-6 maps and their secrets but after that I'm just guessing. Final Doom is just guessing mostly. Doom 64, apart from the first level, I know very little secrets for.

my opinion is. Classic doom is unplayable. those controls are not ideal. i dont know how purist deal with that

7 minutes ago, Thiccnicc said:

my opinion is. Classic doom is unplayable. those controls are not ideal. i dont know how purist deal with that

You can customize the controls based on how you like to play it/what you consider ideal.

1 minute ago, Thiccnicc said:

Is there a strafe left/right option

Yes, there is.

17 hours ago, Mr.Rocket said:

I like playing Doom in DOSBox, actually have a (incomplete) launcher fixed up specifically for it.

Though I don't like how DOSBox loads in windowed mode, not centered to screen. 

~yes I know there's some system variables that could be set, but I don't like having to do that heh.

I leterally have my own file structure for configurations and .bat menus for DOSBox, I manage to even use PC Magazine's STRINGS.COM in order to set the Host IP for multiplayer.