Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

On 6/29/2020 at 12:29 PM, magicsofa said:

I can't stand the overuse of "boxing ring" fights where you get closed into a small room while monsters tele in. Locking a door behind the player is only cool if it's a surprise, if you use it so much that it becomes expected, it loses the magic for me.

So how much suffering did you get from Legacy of Suffering?

Actual content: Eternal Doom is better than Doom Eternal.

Roses are red

Violets are blue

Cacodemon fireballs should be blue.

1: I prefer episode 4 (Thy Flesh Consumed) to most of Doom II's levels. This is partly because episode 4 has some of my most memorable levels out of the classic Dooms. Namely E4M1, E4M2, E4M3 and E4M6.

2: When I first played episode 4 as a teenager I was convinced the whole episode was in hell. This is because to avoid spoilers I refused to read anything about it at the time (not that it mattered, it has obvious plot holes). Result? To this day I still see it as a "hell" episode like Inferno and my brain refuses to register it as corrupted version of earth. Thus, Thy Flesh Consumed will forever be a "hell" episode to me.

Further more, I have even went so far as to convince myself that was the original vision for this episode. However, at some point someone said 'wait! instead of just another hell episode how about we market this as an early Doom II teaser?' and they shoved it in as a bridge between Doom and Doom II's.

To me, the obvious plot holes and the fact that the only level that looks remotely 'man made' is a secret level, just confirms my beard stroking has some merit. 

37 minutes ago, Final Verdict said:

However, at some point someone said 'wait! instead of just another hell episode how about we market this as an early Doom II teaser?' and they shoved it in as a bridge between Doom and Doom II's.

Thy Flesh Consumed was released about 6 months after Doom II.

3 minutes ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

Thy Flesh Consumed was released about 6 months after Doom II.

True, but you get the idea. It always seemed to me that it was originally intended as a hell themed episode, then at some point they changed it. None of the maps in it, save perhaps the secret map (Fear), even remotely resemble anything on earth.

Although I suppose the same hold true for Doom II. But eh, none of this is meant to be taken seriously anyway. 

I like official maps only.  I don't remember playing a mod, maybe I did by "accident" online in zdaemon somany years back.  I can't stand em, I like it original so it was last edited by the brains of the whole thing. 

Or maybe It's just because I havn't completed all the commercial releases of the original DOOM games, I only finished DOOM 1 & 2. 

48 minutes ago, vanilla_d00m said:

I like official maps only.  I don't remember playing a mod, maybe I did by "accident" online in zdaemon somany years back.  I can't stand em, I like it original so it was last edited by the brains of the whole thing.

The "Don't knock it until you've tried it" statement applies here. There are plenty of wads for players of various tastes and skill levels. Majority of modern maps far exceed the official maps in terms of quality.

With that being said, I recommend playing the official Final Doom wads (TNT: Evilution and The Plutonia Experiment) before jumping into custom wads.

10 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

The "Don't knock it until you've tried it" statement applies here. There are plenty of wads for players of various tastes and skill levels. Majority of modern maps far exceed the official maps in terms of quality.

Indeed.

Sorry to say but that's just pure biased drivel, you can't hate something you've never even tried or played, and most high quality mods made nowadays simply far exceed the quality of the original maps, even sponge himself agrees, and Romero said similar things in the past too. Preferences still exist, definitely, so there's nothing wrong with still preferring the original id maps over custom content, but still.

Plus you can play maps that are "vanilla style" that aim to recreate the feel of the IWADs. But hey, vanilla_d00m just registered their account last year. Give 'em time to get bored of the OG levels :P

Spoiler

Y'all do know this is the same guy that kept posting about how old, obsolete source ports have "better, more accurate" OPL/MIDI sound than newer ports, right?

(no heavy feelings mmkay)

3 minutes ago, Doom-X-Machina said:

E2M2: Containment Area manages to blow AND suck at the same time.

Sounds rather.... pleasurable

6 hours ago, FractalBeast said:

It's pointless to play without mouselook and without jumping if you're not using a grey-yellowish 486.

Ehhh we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

Anyway, controversial opinion time.
If you aren't using the SC-55 music packs, you are listening to inferior music. (Still sounds good and everyone has their own taste so when I say inferior I mean that in a subjective way.)

11 hours ago, vanilla_d00m said:

Or maybe It's just because I havn't completed all the commercial releases of the original DOOM games, I only finished DOOM 1 & 2. 

Duuuude! I would say that the the "full" classic Doom experience necessitates playing custom map packs.

The commercial map sets are like mere proofs of concept when compared to sets like Alien Vendetta, Scythe 2, Hell Revealed 2, Community Chest 4, Speed of Doom, Epic 2, Japanese Community Project, Nova III, Requiem, etc., both in gameplay and aesthetics.

And I'm saying this without any gameplay mechanic modifications involved. For me, Doom's vanilla gameplay is perfectly balanced like a fine-tuned e-sport. Watching great players' UV-Max runs of challenging maps can be exhilarating.

The Invulnerability effect should be blue like in the Jaguar port instead of eye-straining black and white.

45 minutes ago, JXC said:

The Invulnerability effect should be blue like in the Jaguar port instead of eye-straining black and white.

I think it's fine, but I really like the gold tint heretic has for invulnerability. Someone asked recently how to replicate this effect in doom and plums actually made a pallete hack that looks pretty neat.

Here's the thread:

and, below, his answer with the link to the mod:

On 6/22/2020 at 10:33 AM, plums said:

It's a bit quantized since Heretic's colours don't match to Doom's, but here's what I got. You could probably make a slightly better one by manually picking colours from doom's palette in the yellow/gold range and extending it, but I'm not doing that right now, sorry :p

AZqPx2hl.png

heretic_invul.zip

This might not be totally controversial but...

The master levels map "Mephisto's mausoleum" Is a good map in my opinion. It brings a pretty nice challenge and overall it's not as bad as some people say it is.

And while I'm here, I'm going to go ahead and say it:

I'm Not loving Eternal. It's... okay, but as a sequel to 2016 it seems like its all over the place in terms of story, balancing, and overall quality. About the only thing I actually really enjoy are the level designs, which takes all of the best Hellish elements of 2016 and makes a game out of them. But dear gods, I do Not like this combat system. It's as though the designers fast-forwarded 2016, threw a bunch of new features into the gameplay, and tossed it all into a blender. Every time I see a Tip about "customizing your" so-called "playstyle" under the Options, I want to put a brick through the screen. The game has a certain way it demands to be played, and if you aren't playing it the "correct" way, you will die. Period. Until I got semi-accurate with the grenade launcher by the third mission, Cacodemons were butchering me, no matter how fast I was with the shotgun. Health and armor barely make a difference for survival- keep them up, get them knocked off instantly, fight like mad to wrench them back. [And what's with changing how the power ups work, like Health potions and Megaspheres? I'd rather they kept the 2016 designs so I feel less like they're scoffing at the originals' purpose]. Sure, it gets the adrenaline going, but I can't say any of its been "fun". It feels punishing. Every. Single. Fight. One mistake can mean the difference between victory and failure and with how long some of these fights have been dragged out... I don't feel like repeating another battle for six minutes because I got cornered or couldn't get halfway around the room to kill that fodder enemy after taking a plasma round to the face.

And that boss fight with the Doom Hunter... what year is it where this kind of blatant repetitive padding is acceptable?! I've seen Wads with less shoehorned boss overuse.

Ah, and of course, like a hypocrite I still want to try and finish it, but man, I'm just not seeing what everyone else thinks is this revolutionary masterpiece of FPS design, because if this manic masochism is the way of the future, I'll stick to past Doom. I'd rather be dying in a slaughtermap than against two Cacos.

On 6/27/2020 at 11:43 AM, Tammato said:

-People that are anti "save scumming" have way too much time on their hands, if a level has a par time of over 10 minutes and is also extremely hard i'm not wasting an hour doing it in one shot for bragging rights. 

I don't see it as "bragging rights", rather as a way to sharpen one's skill at the game. It's like life, you don't have the ability to go back in time and fix your mistakes, but instead you learn from them. Just my two cents.

I like the crap mouse movement in doom and never disable it. What'd make even more fun is an "invert Z axis" option in prboom+ don't at me

Doom II isn't a "true" sequel, it's more an add-on/expansion like Final Doom, so Doom 3 is really Doom II, and that would make Doom 2016 Doom 3, And Eternal is just Eternal not Doom 4 as it's more an add-on/expansion instead of a sequel.

8 hours ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

Doom II isn't a "true" sequel, it's more an add-on/expansion like Final Doom, so Doom 3 is really Doom II, and that would make Doom 2016 Doom 3, And Eternal is just Eternal not Doom 4 as it's more an add-on/expansion instead of a sequel.

I would agree with Doom 2 being more of a big expansion, since apart from a few new enemies and the SSG it didn't innovate and expand too much upon UDoom, and no big technological advances were made, but Eternal is definitely not a "glorified expansion" to 2016.

It expands on so many things like crazy that calling it as such is doing the game a huge disservice. It is also very much a direct sequel to that game, and that one is a fact, not an opinion.

Edited by seed

8 hours ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

Doom II isn't a "true" sequel, it's more an add-on/expansion like Final Doom, so Doom 64 is really Doom II, Doom 3 is really Doom 3, and that would make Doom 2016 Doom 4, And Eternal is just Eternal not Doom 5 as it's more an add-on/expansion instead of a sequel.

FIFY

Controversial one for me (at least it was in 1993/94 :-P) is when they removed the Wolfenstein reference in E1M4... :-P

I haven't played any Doom titles newer than Doom 3 so take this with a grain of salt.

The necessity of having to chainsaw demons to get ammo in Eternal seems so off to me. I would compare it to requiring sweet parkour tricks during a foot race.

Of course, I'd just want classic Doom's gameplay with updated aesthetics.

Edit: Another opinion, I find Doom 1 nearly unplayable and utterly boring because of the lack of the SSG and expanded bestiary. Though, I grew up playing Doom 2 so I'm a bit spoiled.

Edited by DOEL