Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

- Doom 3 did nothing a few things wrong, but it's a solid game.

- Mick Gordon is terribly overrated.

- Making Doomslayer the original Doomguy was a bad idea.

- Doom 64's not as great as people make it out to be. It's good, but not that good.

- Brutal Doom did some irreparable harm to the franchise, the fanbase and the outsiders' perception of them.

- Maps and mods that aren't compatible with vanilla don't really count as DOOM mods.

Edited by Allard

6 hours ago, sincity2100 said:

Doom is better than Quake!

That seems to be a general opinion. At least single player. Quake really redefined the multiplayer experience, but it's single player isn't nearly as memorable as Doom. 

I broadly agree with Arlene, except would narrow it to the use of gameplay-altering mods used in mapsets they aren’t designed for.

14 hours ago, Major Arlene said:

here's my awful hot take

mods for doom are for people who don't like doom :)

What about mods like Smooth Doom? they don't alter the experience significantly and still make the game feel more satisfying to play IMO.

EDIT: basically what Horus said

I don't mind DOOM 2016's slaughter maps. I just wish they were mixed with different kinds of levels as well, like more stuff like the first level in that game which is more about exploration somewhat.

It's not really that controversial an opinion. Doom 2016 and to an extent Doom Eternal do get repetitive with all the constant arena battles, they tried to mix things up with some platforming segments and the swimming section in Taras Nabad in Eternal but overall it wasn't enough to hide the repetition.

3 minutes ago, HombreSal said:

FUCK map 06 of Alien Vendetta so goddamn much. 

for a second I thought this was the DOOM fact thread, and I was wondering why this was posted there. I then realized it was the opinion thread. I'm sure it would also work in the fact thread.

On 9/13/2020 at 3:59 AM, seed said:

Honestly I agree with Arlene here, preferences or not, if you play exclusively with gameplay mods and cannot stand vanilla at all, then it's probably a safe bet that you enjoy the idea of Doom more than Doom the game itself.

I love gameplay mods, but to me, there is no better first-person shooter experience than vanilla Doom. Arlene is demonstrably incorrect.

I mean, what counts as a mod? Do Boom editing features count as a mod? MBF? FraggleScript? ACS? I love Vanilla Doom, and it will always be my favorite way to play, but mods are kind the reason we're all still here.

1 minute ago, M_W said:

mods are kind the reason we're all still here.

And WADs. Don't forget those. :)

As for another one of my controversial opinions, I would say that NRFTL would be my least favorite official DOOM/DOOM 2 episode to replay. it was fun the first time, but I don't think I could play it again. It had only 2 notable parts to it in my opinion, which was that giant red mountain, and the last boss battle. I like trial and error, which these did well on, but I don't think they were great enough moments for me to try the levels again. 

On 9/17/2020 at 12:40 PM, Kokoro Hane said:

The chaingun isn't really that bad of a weapon... but...

IT'S JUST THAT DAMN POPCORN SOUND.

Yeah the chaingun sound is just the pistol sound but...more of it which is fine for the pistol and not so fine for a chaingun.  Doom 64 did the same but the sound was meatier so it's less of an issue.  In my opinion the SSG would have been less necessary of an addition in terms of arsenal design if the chaingun had simply been better and done more damage, but it's inclusion is also a function of fun and reference while simultaneously filling out a needed mid tier weapon that you could run your extra shells through.  It seems this improved in Quake since most of the weapons seemed to fill a roll even if you had the better version with the exception of melee and the regular shotgun as it wasn't always desirable to waste tons of nails on fodder and the rocket and grenade launchers had different uses.  Plus the Perforator sounded AWESOME in Quake and so the old chaingun sound recycling issue was also addressed.  This is all subjective of course and I love the SSG as much as the next person I will admit, but it does feel like part of the reason for the inclusion was to fill in a gap from Doom 1.

On 9/25/2020 at 11:28 PM, Eric Claus said:

Yeah the chaingun sound is just the pistol sound but...more of it which is fine for the pistol and not so fine for a chaingun.

Maybe we should go back in time and replace the original pistol sound with the far superior PSX one?

1. DOOM 3's artstyle is really good and the whole atmosphere is really beautiful, and I actually like the gameplay (except for the shotguns RNG damage which is fucked)
  2. DOOM 2016's monsters look better in some aspects compared to DOOM Eternal.
  3. Sandy Petersen has pretty nice maps, just not good looking. He did say he was a designer, not an artist.
  4. DOOM Eternal is really fun yet the campaign is, sadly, pretty short.
  5. Mick Gordon is pretty overrated.
  6. HONTE is too dark and relies too much on its dynamic lighting. The darkness in some maps don't even make sense, greatest example is MAP01.

Edited by indio

1 hour ago, DCG Retrowave said:

These funny Pain Elementals are my friends :D

FUNNYMALL2.png.267cd39a25a6c40b97106a8294b974dd.png

This is not controversial, it's adorable! :)

2 minutes ago, Egg Boy said:

This is not controversial, it's adorable! :)

That is very good to hear!  I wish everyone was this kind to Pain Elementals 😭

DOOM 2 is a lazy sequel made by id, feels like a expansion pack rather than a new full game, i mean for modern modding everyone uses the IWAD yet at the time the experience barely changed, my cynical guess is that id only wanted to surf in the first game's sucess and wanted more money, i say the same for The Ultimate DOOM

2 minutes ago, Netuno said:

DOOM 2 is a lazy sequel made by id, feels like a expansion pack rather than a new full game

this is actually less of a controversial opinion than you think. I personally don't agree, but many others would. Sandy made most of the levels, and although he is pretty good at game design now, he wasn't so great when DOOM 2 came out. But still, the same amount of effort was put into the second one, and it still plays fine, and is very fun.

I think that MAP01 should be a bit more large. Yes is an introduction map but is very short :/

Edit: Im talking about DooM2, no TNT or plutonia (tnt MAP01 is a small map but plutiona one isnt)

Edited by URROVA

3 minutes ago, Chip said:

this is actually less of a controversial opinion than you think. I personally don't agree, but many others would. Sandy made most of the levels, and although he is pretty good at game design now, he wasn't so great when DOOM 2 came out. But still, the same amount of effort was put into the second one, and it still plays fine, and is very fun.

Sandy was already a great level designer by that time. You have to remember that he only had like 3 or 5 months iirc and there really was no such thing as a level editor like the ones we have today.