Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

1 hour ago, Orchid87 said:

Mouselook and jumping in Doom engine will never feel as good and tight as vanilla game mechanics made by id themselves. I get why some people want them in Doom but it's as silly as wanting Street Fighter II with 3D arenas and side stepping.

I agree with jumping.

But thing the vertical autoaim in Doom is super wonky. You can be trying to shoot an enemy at the top of the stairs and the gun will shoot the steps in front of you instead.

Having freeaim alleviates that inconsistency.

It may not be vanilla accurate, but lets not pretend vanilla features are Perfect.

10 hours ago, DRMman said:

Playing without mouselook or any modern additions is not a valid playstyle anymore, it's not the 90's anymore, time has passed us by, and it's time to move on.

This reasoning would be equally persuasive if you were saying we should just play modern games instead.

32 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

You can be trying to shoot an enemy at the top of the stairs and the gun will shoot the steps in front of you instead.

Having freeaim alleviates that inconsistency.

I've learned to adjust my position naturally for this kind of trickier auto vertical aim shots without second thought. It's a part of Vanilla experience I guess. It's "super wonky" in some of the community wads that were made and playetested with free aim in mind though. Both kinds (hardware and software renderer) of vertical aim look awful and disorienting as hell.

2 hours ago, Orchid87 said:

It's "super wonky" in some of the community wads that were made and playetested with free aim in mind though. 

Looking up is still faster than "adjusting position"

Its wonkyeven in official IWADs and old megawads... So no, its because they "were playtested with free aim in mind".

Its just Super Wonky. Again Vanilla Doom maybe great but its not perfect.

11 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

Its just Super Wonky.

Except it's not.

It's ok, you don't have to come up with such kind of justifications for your play choices. Just play however you like, even if it's not the way intended by game/wad developers.

12 minutes ago, Orchid87 said:

Except it's not.

Based on my experience it is.

Its just ignored it since we just accepted Vanilla as Perfect and infallible. 

31 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

Based on my experience it is.

Its just ignored it since we just accepted Vanilla as Perfect and infallible. 

All of our life choices are made based on our own experiences first.

One more controversial opinion to avoid derailing the thread: E1M4 version 1.2 was better with the swastika, not because of being a Wolf 3D easter egg, but because of how fucking sinister it was seeing it there for the first time, among the hellspawn outbreak. Being a kid in the 90's, it was the symbol immediately identifiable with evil and hatred for me. Nowadays, with all these people accusing each other of being nazis it doesn't do much for me though.

Edited by Orchid87

The thing that irked me about autoaim was that e.g. an enemy was often capable of aiming at me no problem from awkward angles and positions that I couldn't retaliate from (often without even being able to see them). And yet, before I know about the Source Code, I presumed that since THEY can hit ME, there MUST be some "magical" position in any situation where I can do the same, I just needed to try harder to find it.

Haha, i've been playing Realm of Chaos and read a bit of people playing through it in the Megawadclub long ago, and to my surprise found out that people unanimously hated Map04 - Sewers, which i thought, when playing through it yesterday, and still agree with myself today, is a well-designed level that i enjoyed a lot, both in aspects of gameplay and design.  i enjoyed the bleakness of the architecture and the level of dickishness of the designer.  Oh well. :P

17 minutes ago, dei_eldren said:

Haha, i've been playing Realm of Chaos and read a bit of people playing through it in the Megawadclub long ago, and to my surprise found out that people unanimously hated Map04 - Sewers, which i thought, when playing through it yesterday, and still agree with myself today, is a well-designed level that i enjoyed a lot, both in aspects of gameplay and design.  i enjoyed the bleakness of the architecture and the level of dickishness of the designer.  Oh well. :P

Different folks, different strokes as they say. I also enjoyed that level.

52 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

Different folks, different strokes as they say. I also enjoyed that level.

Yeah that's true, i was just honestly shocked (and i do understand their arguments, why they'd think so).  Glad to hear i'm not the only one!

People who hate GZDoom for its gameplay or graphic changes are probably illiterate and don't know how to read the options menues.

Also, Texture filtering makes the game look like absolute ass

Edited by Tanksy

TNT MAP05: Hanger is kind of anticlimactic.

The first larger room has a somewhat dramatic reveal of a darkened grassy tech-enclosed courtyard overlooked by some nasty distant hitscan snipe spot ledges. This is right after you finish a tripswitch puzzle in a rather tight room and escape a short corridor section. You'd expect the way towards the courtyard needs to be explored via a similar fashion, wandering down narrow, yet bright halls with a ridiculous overuse of wide light textures (which is the actual case for unraveling another good portion of the map) but SIKE: it can be directly accessed through an openable wall in the middle, which doesn't even look like an actual door.

Oh, and how do you get up to the ledges themselves? Teleporting there. Way to lose the charm of discovery, bud.

Dunno if it's been said here, and I don't feel like scouring through 92 pages of thread, so I'll just say this:

I think The Chasm is a good map, and people who complain about the tightrope section just need to let go of the run button for a few moments.

@IrOn7HuB Now that we've got a reboot that satisfies people's expectations of what Doom is "supposed" to be, I would love a Doom game told from the perspective of an average person. Make it a survival horror RPG thing. Maybe include a chance encounter with Doomguy to make you feel weak for struggling to fight even zombies.

4 hours ago, DOEL said:

@IrOn7HuB Now that we've got a reboot that satisfies people's expectations of what Doom is "supposed" to be, I would love a Doom game told from the perspective of an average person. Make it a survival horror RPG thing. Maybe include a chance encounter with Doomguy to make you feel weak for struggling to fight even zombies.

i think a game more in the vain of doom 3 could work on that style though i think they have to focus more on making it a survival horror

52 minutes ago, Tanksy said:

Plutonia sucks

A fat bald guy, a living agitated skeleton and a skinny pyromaniac walks into a bar.........

You can fill the rest. 

I can play with any texture filtering. Yes, even trilinear. Don't mind and don't care.

I'm not sure if it's an unpopular opinion, but the damage rolls suuuuck! Yeah, sure, have the homing missile do 80 damage, but at least make it do that consistently like Vore's purple magic, much easier to notice if more health is in order during the testing, than trying to be a sage and predict every worst possible outcome one could still walk away from. 

8 hours ago, AmnesiaSilence said:

chasm is pretty fun

Curiously, I too felt the same way when I first played it.

Lost souls aren't annoying, and they don't need less health. Everyone seems to hate them, but I really don't get it.

On 2/28/2021 at 6:57 PM, DRMman said:

Playing without mouselook or any modern additions is not a valid playstyle anymore, it's not the 90's anymore, time has passed us by, and it's time to move on.

It's not up to you to decide what is valid or not. People will play the game the way they want.

Spoiler

I would say the only one who have some prerogative of what is valid or not is the map author, but that doesn't matter in this context.

Edited by Noiser

The Cyberdemon has an endless supply of ammo, but Doomguy doesn't.. what's up with that? 

He's not jack'n it from other monsters that die, like the Chain gunner might get away with..

That's fuck'n UAC shit man!

6 minutes ago, Noiser said:

It's not up to you to decide what is valid or not. People will play the game the way they want.

This thread is for opinions, NOT facts, did i claim my opinion was a fact?.