Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

3 minutes ago, Lol 6 said:

Plutonia sucks

Wow, the only opinion on this thread I'm actually offended by

6 hours ago, a.a.i. said:

You could remove doom and this would still hold true

^ This

Is not liking Doom's RNG damage system a controversial opinion? It's nowhere near as bad as in Wolf3D but it does feel like a holdover from D&D campaigns or something and by Quake 1 it was pretty much abandoned. Like if there was no RNG on damage, then the shotgun would always be able to 1-shot Chaingunners if all the tracers hit. Imagine that.

Plutonia isn't terrible, but for me the more memorable aspects of it are the obnoxious design choices, rather than the pros. It's like how Well of Souls is a nice level up until the Ravine of Stupidity.

Playing the "sequel" Plutonia WADs, PRCP and Plutonia 2, though...they take all of Plutonia's terrible aspects and dial them straight up to eleven. Overuse of the same few enemy types, cheap chaingunner/revenant placement, swarms of monsters suddenly appearing or teleporting in at every turn, terrible Cyberdemon usage...

And a few more probably-controversial opinions:

• Revenant/Arch-vile snipers are just annoying. Especially if they're in an area where you have little room to move about, or they're far enough that auto-aim doesn't kick in. They just force you to take pot-shots at them then hide before you can move on, slowing progress down.
  • On that topic, encounters that consist solely of a large group of revenants is just lazy and boring.
  • Point-blank encounters with multiple arch-viles popping up out of nowhere or behind an opened door is just cheap design that punishes the player for not already having the BFG readied.
  • Part of it stems from level design, but the Super Shotgun is becoming a really unsatisfying weapon to me. It's a combination of the slow firing speed (which can be a problem when you need to switch weapons but can't because of the reloading animation) along with the abundance of shells making it a weapon you rely on constantly, making it a weapon you use to slowly kill not-very-threatening encounters. 

I'll be honest, and I'm prepared to eat some serious shit for this, but uh

I think Doom 2 is honestly kinda overrated.

It's not like I think Doom 2 is bad, I don't. But people seem to treat it often like it's this masterpiece that was on another level compared to the first game, which doesn't really make much sense to me. Not only is the level design not as consistent or as good as the first game, but it also feels more like an expansion pack of the first game.

I mean, what did Doom 2 add that wasn't in Doom 1? A single new gun, a few new monsters... and that's it. Otherwise, it doesn't do anything to really make itself stand out as a true sequel. If I'm being really honest, Doom 2 often feels to me like it was rushed, given the as previously mentioned less consistently good level design, and it's why I prefer playing the first game over it.

For the longest time, I was convinced that Jonathan El-Bizri's "Soldier of Chaos" (TNT Evilution's MAP09: "Prison") was from Duke Nukem 3D.

Even today, whenever I hear it, I cannot help but be reminded of Duke Nukem 3D for some reason.

13 hours ago, CasualScrub said:

I'll be honest, and I'm prepared to eat some serious shit for this, but uh

I think Doom 2 is honestly kinda overrated.

It's not like I think Doom 2 is bad, I don't. But people seem to treat it often like it's this masterpiece that was on another level compared to the first game, which doesn't really make much sense to me.

This is not at all true. At best, opinions are split over which game is better and, if there is a consensus, I would say it is more likely to favour Doom; especially when the extended mapping resources of Doom 2 is taken from the equation.

Personally, I think Doom 2 is clearly superior even just in terms of level design but this is not a majority opinion.

Concerning Doom II, I think the SSG and additional monsters are awesome. It's the rest of the package that to me is a mixed bag. And I don't care for the taco bell music.

I do not like the plasma rifle. Like, it's great when it's there, the damage is good, the rate of fire is good, the cool off you need to do when you release fire is a neat balance to it and I'd rather have that than not, but god do I hate having to rely on a weapon that blocks not only most of my sight but most of my hearing as well. Situational awareness for me just plummets when I need to use the plasma rifle and I do as much as I can to just avoid having to use it.

23 hours ago, CasualScrub said:

If I'm being really honest, Doom 2 often feels to me like it was rushed, given the as previously mentioned less consistently good level design, and it's why I prefer playing the first game over it.

That is probably because it was rushed: in a recent video, Sandy Petersen confirmed it when he stated that the game was put together in a year or so.

nu-Doom opinion: I'm in the camp of not liking the Marauder. I really feel like it kills the flow of combat when you suddenly have to face an enemy who's very stingy about what range you're supposed to be at and what specific weapon you should use on him to kill him quicker. I think a lot of other enemies in Eternal do a much better job of challenging your positioning and awareness than him.

Also if I hear one more ignorant redditoid blame Bethesda for a bug in Eternal/2016 I'm gonna go crazy.

Classic Doom opinion: The BFG is a really special use case weapon just because of how hacky its behavior is. Even with knowledge of BFG tracers and how the weapon works I find it hard to use unless enemies are REALLY tightly clumped together (or in cases like one-shotting Archviles). Plasma rifle and rocket launcher feel much more consistent.

Eviternity is overrated. Also Dehydration and E6M1 are the 2 worst maps in the entire WAD, don't know why they get so much praise

7 hours ago, HombreSal said:

Doom 64 is a lot uglier than Doom 1 and 2 lol.

Some models and artwork are truly inferior.

Shotgun and chaingun zombies are the most fun of doom's enemies to deal with. The way they pose an immediate serious threat, yet are easily dispatched, can make a map feel fun, fast-paced, and intense in ways that none of the other enemies from doom 2 can.

thinking about that craze where mappers would totally avoid placing lines in the four cardinal directions and giggling
one of the things that improves Doom's looks to me is the differentiation between north-south and east-west lines and deliberately dodging that robs the game of depth

i'm now so heavily into visual depth that I just shade every possible intersection of walls and it still doesn't feel like enough

the manual occluder has logged on

i'm not particularly a light sourcing person, i just like shadows and constrasts everywhere

and having played a lot of Doom stuff by the community's best I've noticed that I prefer the way Sunlust looks, to the way many of the geometry-as-detail sets look and that's at least partially down to its radical take on lighting - gradients everywhere while not being particularly bothered by logical lightsourcing

On 4/23/2021 at 7:58 AM, CasualScrub said:

I mean, what did Doom 2 add that wasn't in Doom 1? A single new gun, a few new monsters... and that's it. Otherwise, it doesn't do anything to really make itself stand out as a true sequel. If I'm being really honest, Doom 2 often feels to me like it was rushed, given the as previously mentioned less consistently good level design, and it's why I prefer playing the first game over it.

I think the new enemies and SSG are probably the main reason why people like Doom 2 over Doom 1 as they make the gameplay much more fun and diverse.

In Doom 1, all of the monsters are either melee, hitscan or they fire a simple projectile.

In Doom 2, we have:

- Enemies that fire a stream of projectiles and thus being great as turrets (Arachnotrons)

- Enemies whose projectiles require intelligent dodging rather than just circle strafing (Revenants and Mancubus)

- Area denial enemies (Archviles with their Line of Sight attack)

- Enemies the create combat urgency by replenishing the battlefield (Archviles and Pain Elementals)

Also the SSG in Doom 2 nicely bridges the gap between the workhorse weapons (shotgun, chaingun) and the power weapons (RL, Plasma Gun, BFG).

On 4/14/2021 at 5:05 PM, Percy T said:

I've had this on my mind for a while, but I have a weird issue with Karl Jobst's videos on doom, Zero-Master in particular. 

I have absolutely nothing against Karl or Zero, I think Jobst makes some absolutely great speedrunning videos and he was the one who introduced me to Doom, and Zero-Master definitely deserves praise for his amazing runs, but my issue is that I think Zero gets too much from Karl's fanbase. It kind of bugs me whenever Zero-Master uploads a new run and his YT comment section is so overwhelmingly run down by Karl fans calling him an "absolute legend" and referencing Jobst's videos, also throwing around uneducated doom speedrunning lingo. I just cant help but have a problem with all of these people pretending to know so much about speedrunning and act like they are so involved in the community when they've only seen a guy talk about doom for 15 minutes a pop. I'm sure most of the people in Zero-Masters comments dont actually respect him or care about him outside of the view that Karl has given them. It isnt Karl's fault and I guess it's kind of like this for every community. Obviously a top-tier player of any game will get tons of attention and praise from big youtubers or media sources that call them out. Anyways, that's my opinion. I just wish there were more people commenting on Zero-Masters runs who actually celebrated and gave feedback on the run itself instead of these brainless doom noobs who are just there for a pat on the back for a redundant compliment.

It's the same in all other "arts" - most fans are just fans.

10 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

I think the new enemies and SSG are probably the main reason why people like Doom 2 over Doom 1 as they make the gameplay much more fun and diverse.

In Doom 1, all of the monsters are either melee, hitscan or they fire a simple projectile.

In Doom 2, we have:

- Enemies that fire a stream of projectiles and thus being great as turrets (Arachnotrons)

- Enemies whose projectiles require intelligent dodging rather than just circle strafing (Revenants and Mancubus)

- Area denial enemies (Archviles with their Line of Sight attack)

- Enemies the create combat urgency by replenishing the battlefield (Archviles and Pain Elementals)

Also the SSG in Doom 2 nicely bridges the gap between the workhorse weapons (shotgun, chaingun) and the power weapons (RL, Plasma Gun, BFG).

Thank you for that. 

Doom 1 is just bland compared to Doom II's features. Also I find the SSG to in fact be the workhorse weapon.

On 4/14/2021 at 8:05 AM, Percy T said:

I've had this on my mind for a while, but I have a weird issue with Karl Jobst's videos on doom, Zero-Master in particular. 

I have absolutely nothing against Karl or Zero, I think Jobst makes some absolutely great speedrunning videos and he was the one who introduced me to Doom, and Zero-Master definitely deserves praise for his amazing runs, but my issue is that I think Zero gets too much from Karl's fanbase. It kind of bugs me whenever Zero-Master uploads a new run and his YT comment section is so overwhelmingly run down by Karl fans calling him an "absolute legend" and referencing Jobst's videos, also throwing around uneducated doom speedrunning lingo. I just cant help but have a problem with all of these people pretending to know so much about speedrunning and act like they are so involved in the community when they've only seen a guy talk about doom for 15 minutes a pop. I'm sure most of the people in Zero-Masters comments dont actually respect him or care about him outside of the view that Karl has given them. It isnt Karl's fault and I guess it's kind of like this for every community. Obviously a top-tier player of any game will get tons of attention and praise from big youtubers or media sources that call them out. Anyways, that's my opinion. I just wish there were more people commenting on Zero-Masters runs who actually celebrated and gave feedback on the run itself instead of these brainless doom noobs who are just there for a pat on the back for a redundant compliment.

Never go into comments sections for speedruns on YouTube. You will always, always face the same unfunny unoriginal drivel.

Doom Eternal's tyrant is way too skinny. He should be a lot more buff, like the original cyberdemon or even 2016's one.

The original classic Doom sound effects are bad and should always be replaced with the better ones from the PS1 release. 

3 hours ago, Muusi said:

The original classic Doom sound effects are bad and should always be replaced with the better ones from Perkristian's superb high resolution Doom sound effects pack. 

Fixed that for you. :)

13 minutes ago, bLOCKbOYgAMES said:

The original classic Doom sound effects are bad and should always be replaced with the better ones from Perkristian's superb high resolution Doom sound effects pack. 

I honestly don't like the Perkristian sound effects. I find them ear grating for some reason. Especially the monster pain sounds. There is this annoying high pitched sound near the end of every sound effect which I don't know how to describe but I can't stand it for more than a few minutes.

On 4/26/2021 at 9:55 AM, idbeholdME said:

I honestly don't like the Perkristian sound effects. I find them ear grating for some reason. Especially the monster pain sounds. There is this annoying high pitched sound near the end of every sound effect which I don't know how to describe but I can't stand it for more than a few minutes.

They're saved in 8-bit 32kHz format for some reason which causes some white noise trail-off at the end of each sound. Maybe it's the maximum that DOS Doom can playback, I don't know, but I'd prefer the original 44kHz or 48kHz 24-bit sample rate that the original stock sounds are sold in now.

On 4/26/2021 at 4:41 AM, HombreSal said:

Doom Eternal's tyrant is way too skinny. He should be a lot more buff, like the original cyberdemon or even 2016's one.

Spoiler

Tyrant.png