Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

The big issue with Doom 3 is not the shotgun or the darkness but the annoying screen shake from enemy attacks, and how cheesable the artifact makes the DLC combat be.

Less gimmicky, harder bosses or some cool music during the fights wouldn't hurt, too.

8 minutes ago, El Inferno said:

Purple is overhyped

Orange is true love

Sunlust would like to know your location.

48 minutes ago, Mayomancer said:

The big issue with Doom 3 is not the shotgun or the darkness but the annoying screen shake from enemy attacks, and how cheesable the artifact makes the DLC combat be.

Less gimmicky, harder bosses or some cool music during the fights wouldn't hurt, too.

Finally someone who agrees with me XD

doom 3 berserk pack has all those effects on the screen that really irritate my eyes and no joke make me cry (i mean not crying in the usual sence but i need to wipe my eyes after i use it and get away from the pc for a few minutes) and thats the reason why i hate the berserk in doom 3

7 hours ago, PSXDoomer said:

I've always preferred Spectres over the Pinky demon, especially the nightmare variety.

Heh, I'm the exact opposite, I think the Spectre is one of the lamest enemies in the series. It's just a pinky but it's invisible so it's more annoying to fight; feels like a very lazy inclusion.

8 minutes ago, Redoom said:

Ultimate Doom is more moddable worthy than Doom 2

thats the biggest hot take ive seen in this tread

21 hours ago, Jacek Bourne said:

Difficult maps tend to be far better designed and enjoyable than easy maps.

Perfectly tuned balance is a lot more important for difficult maps than for easy ones.

1 hour ago, omalefico32x said:

thats the biggest hot take ive seen in this tread

I probably grew on it because I like the episodic format, I only use Doom 2 for wads when I do singular maps / mege-episodes.

1 minute ago, Redoom said:

I probably grew on it because I like the episodic format, I only use Doom 2 for wads when I do singular maps / mege-episodes.

well here is my hot take

i have yet to play a doom 1 wad that i like all the ones i play fail to do what doom 1 is best at

short simple linear maps

most of them ends up with way too many high tier enemies to take down with the shotgun and a lot of baron overuse

of course i know thats a unpopular opinion and it just is something that i dont like in genreal

doom 1 is still better then doom 2 though

1 minute ago, omalefico32x said:

I have yet to play  a doom 1 was that i like all the ones i play fail to do what doom 1 is best at

short simple linear maps.

Time to work on something to make you happy, and then work on my S E C R E T project!

4 hours ago, omalefico32x said:

well here is my hot take

i have yet to play a doom 1 wad that i like all the ones i play fail to do what doom 1 is best at

short simple linear maps

most of them ends up with way too many high tier enemies to take down with the shotgun and a lot of baron overuse

of course i know thats a unpopular opinion and it just is something that i dont like in genreal

doom 1 is still better then doom 2 though

honestly same tbh, doom 1 has far too limited of a bestiary. you have to be really talented to make it challenging, but not tedious

Doom 2 stops being fun after map08, no nostalgia I have for it can ever make me like anything past that point.

Edited by DRM-MAN

15 hours ago, Redoom said:

Ultimate Doom is more moddable worthy than Doom 2

With the umapinfo allowing Episodic format in Doom 2, I think Ultimate Doom is less modding worthy than ever before.

Hexen is the best game on the Doom engine.

It's also a precursor to S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl of all things (both are hub-based, quicksave incentivizing FPS games with an inventory system, a grim atmosphere, lots of environmental traps, strong and gimmicky enemies and great art direction).

2 hours ago, rzh said:

Hexen is the best game on the Doom engine.

It's also a precursor to S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl of all things (both are hub-based, quicksave incentivizing FPS games with an inventory system, a grim atmosphere, lots of environmental traps, strong and gimmicky enemies and great art direction).

I was just talking with my aunt about the games she played in 90s and she was primarily talking about Hexen (and also Hexen II)

She said the graphics looked better than these of Doom 2 and it was technically better (jumping, looking up and down, polyobjects, waggling floors and scripting system) plus all what you mentioned above

The monsters don't look nasty enough. I don't like the pseudo-gothic textures, torches & candelabras. Doom & Doom2 should have kept to a dark tech style. I didn't like the Doom3 gameplay, but the looks are right on. AVP & AVP2 also have this gameplay problem. Hopefully, my WAD files are going to be ready one day & show what I mean by having high tech textures & darker monsters. Still, because of the low demand in power from more modern computers, the GZDoom wads are going to be around for a long time....

SARGF2.png

22 hours ago, DRM-MAN said:

Doom 2 stops being fun after map08, no nostalgia I have for it can ever map me like anything past that point.

Same, I find it hard play through most of Doom 2 since its level design isn't as consistent or as good as the first game. Often feels more like a slog to play through.

I've always, always hated The Plutonia Experiment, and was glad it was stripped down for PSX Doom (some of it was still shit though).

HOWEVER! I am going to play it through on UV properly, with an open mind, and post a short review elsewhere. It's time to give this super-legendary wad a fair chance.

EDIT: "I hate Plutonia." - MajorRawne on map 2

Edited by MajorRawne

Both OG Dooms, fun as they are, feel a bit empty when one considers that despite how young 3D gaming was in '93/'94, with clever enough mapping and a plethora of appropriately themed props and textures, we could face gotten a more realistic experience while maintaining abstraction. Obviously the modding community has filled in the gaps, but it would have made the experience more immersive to touch upon representational environments.

I have some more, I don't think they're that controversial:

E1 is the worst Doom 1 episode.

Fireblue looks awesome and is underused.

Most of Doom's enemies look goofy and their sprite have a puerile feel. I still like them though.

Regular zombieman getting dehacked into a less useless enemy should be a standard.

1 hour ago, rzh said:

I have some more, I don't think they're that controversial:

E1 is the worst Doom 1 episode.

Fireblue looks awesome and is underused.

Most of Doom's enemies look goofy and their sprite have a puerile feel. I still like them though.

Regular zombieman getting dehacked into a less useless enemy should be a standard.

I shall fight you, sir. I shall fight you in the art of pugilism. :P

Agreed on the zombieman though, I don't know why they even bothered putting them in the game.

30 minutes ago, Lol 6 said:

The shotgun is way better than the SSG (I don't know if I already said that)

finally someone who agree with me the ssg is extremely powerfull but it has its time and place wads with too many hitscanners i usually walk around with the shotgun to conserve ammo and because of that many of the maps that people usually say has few ammo i blaze trough them without a care in the world

42 minutes ago, Lol 6 said:

The shotgun is way better than the SSG (I don't know if I already said that)

yeah, for singleplayer/coop is right. But for deathmatch its different, you want the rival dying instantly in one shot.