Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

2 hours ago, warman2012 said:

Some of us don't use baby man difficulties below HMP.

Then that's your problem.

On 1/27/2020 at 10:41 AM, Roofi said:

- A wad is not "classic" for me if I can't run it on DOSBOX.

So by that logic, any mod compatible with ZDoom 1.17 is classic because it runs with ZDoom's DOS build on DOSBOX?

Ok...

:D:D:D

On the whole "play the map the way the mapper intended" thing, it's important to remember that there are four scores and seven years that are tracked in the intermission screen: kills, items, secrets, and par time.

Now try to "win" all four of them. Get every kill, item, and secret on a map while staying under par. I don't think there's any IWAD maps where it's possible. The UV Max category doesn't bother itself with items, only kills and secrets, so finding UV Max runs under par will not be a proof it's possible to also find all items under par.

The inevitable conclusion then is that the par time is not for full completion of the map. On the intermission screen, you have three scores that encourage you to be a completionist, and one score that encourages you to skip as much as possible. And IIRC Romero said that he made the par times by racing to the exit on every level, and rounding up to the half-minute. So it's hard to claim that the game's designers didn't intend for players to skip as much as possible. Rather, they intended the levels to be played in several different ways -- including, by the way, as deathmatch arenas.

Oh, and there's the E3M6 secret exit. The intended way to get it is by rocket-jumping. So it's going to be hard to argue that the developers didn't intend momentum-boosting tricks to be used.

If there were to be a "glitchless" category for Doom, the only thing I'd really count as a glitch would be going out of bounds. But like explained in this other Jobst video, there are very few levels where going into the void is all that useful for a speed run, you need the level to have both a potential entry point and, more importantly, an exit that can be triggered from the void.

Besides the whole thing is predicated on the belief that speedrunners magically download the perfect skip route along with the map and never play it "normally" first to familiarize themselves with the map's layout. Which is a weird assumption to make.

3 hours ago, sincity2100 said:

I like this map too, my most hated map in Ultimate Doom is e4m1, this map sucks ass.

e4m1 is hard but i like it

4 hours ago, sincity2100 said:

-Mount Pain > Odyssey of Noises!!

Man, they could remove the metal from every single Cyberdemon from every single wad, it still wouldn't be nearly enough to make the balls of a statue of yours.

Anyways, for my personal unpopular opinions:

-you probably already know this very well by now, but I really like old wads. Like what @Kizoky said, the imagination contained in some of them is mindblowing, especially for the time. There so many good-looking maps too, with architecture that is still very nice to this day. The execution sometimes could be a little bit off, but the ideas themselves still make it up for me.

-conversely, I don't like how most modern wads nowadays follow an episodic format, where each episode follows an especific visual theme. IMO, it makes the maps blend in much more, and as a result, become more forgettable. I like it when they don't have any kind of relation with each other, believe it or not. Sure, you can bring in all the "but its more consistent" argument, but again, this is Doom we are talking about. The original series was never coherent and isn't supposed to be, its an action game about killing demons, and its all I want. Leave the lore to the reboot.

-the regular shotgun is very underrated.

*The regular shotgun is the most good looking weapon in all Doom games. I used to pause at the reload-animation and stroke the barrel (true story, I did this in 1995)

*I've ALWAYS disliked the fact that idle actors (including the player) is walking in place

*I've always disliked that the player's skin is wielding a rifle even though there isn't one in the game (I know it was early on) and especially when using fist or chainsaw

*Doom's multiplayer is crap compared to Duke3d and Quake

*The rocket launcher fires too fast

*Doom 3 was so bad that I haven't even played Doom (2016) or looked at Eternal

*The verticle autoaim is terrible

Edited by Old-Doomguy : Typo

7 hours ago, warman2012 said:

Lol this is like vanity sizing clothes in Doom.

Come join us in skill 1!

5 hours ago, sincity2100 said:

-Memento Mori should have been No.10 in the top 10 wads of 1995.

It's in 1996, was it released earlier than shown on /idgames portal?

5 hours ago, sincity2100 said:

-Valiant is actually Good. it's a bit hard, but I enjoyed playing the game, especially the new features and the upgraded enemies.

I haven't finished playing it but I thought people liked Valiant?

16 minutes ago, DuckReconMajor said:

I mean, some people don't so i guess that qualifies it as a controversial opinion

Personally, I think that Doom is better off without freelook. It looks ugly with software renderers.

DOOM 3 was a good DOOM game and has the best art style in the series

Evilution is as good overall as Plutonia

Doomguy and Doom Slayer being the same person is not a good idea

The single shotty is a better weapon overall than the double shotty

Mick Gordon is overrated

Vanilla-incompatible WADs and mods aren't really DOOM WADs/mods

Ooo another one, I find Eviternity practically unplayable because of the new/modded monsters. Don't mess with gameplay mechanics, man.

The ONLY real problem of Doom 3 is level design.

All the weakass weapons and ipad hunting wouldn't bother anyone if there was anything more to the gameplay than:

- go 5 meters in a straight line

- monster closet!

- fight off 2 to 5 enemies

- go 5 meters in a straight line...

When you don't have any variety in combat, when it's always the same tight corridors, when it's always just a handful of enemies, it gets predictable and you start to focus on how maybe shotgun doesn't sound too good, or the story is too intrusive. The ipads are part of the level design problem too, there's too many of them, they are too tightly located, they shouldn't open obligatory areas.

If they left everything as is but just re-designed the levels, this game would be an instant classic. Bad levels can kill even a game with solid mechanics.

1 hour ago, DuckReconMajor said:

There are some people hated Valiant's new features, so there was a Re-Release of the game where they removed the new features and it's a Vanilla Doom 2

Also, not watching someone over something like skill means that they're probably not even among your favorites (there's Youtubers worse than myself who I enjoy watching, for instance), and that you're not there for them either.

1 hour ago, sincity2100 said:

There are some people hated Valiant's new features, so there was a Re-Release of the game where they removed the new features

I thought this was for controversial opinions, not for rewriting history. The rerelease had nothing to do with people hating the "new features", and everything to do with using even newer features instead.

On vendredi 4 décembre 2015 at 3:26 AM, skillsaw said:

I wanted to play Valiant with Demonsteele.

This is the result: a stripped down version of my megawad with full gameplay mod compatibility. All custom monsters and weapons have been removed from this version.

If you've wanted to play Valiant with a gameplay mod, here's your chance. If you want to play Valiant but hated the custom monsters, here's your chance (although it's going to be a bit easy!).

Time to make some maps that HNTR is actually harder than UV to fix those "hey, we're not playing on HNTR difficulty or cry baby difficulty". I think it's possible to flag more monsters on HNTR than UV?

I hate damaging floors. I can't imagine someone saying: "Yeah, that area with damaging floor was fun to go through".

7 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

Time to make some maps that HNTR is actually harder than UV to fix those "hey, we're not playing on HNTR difficulty or cry baby difficulty". I think it's possible to flag more monsters on HNTR than UV?

That's right GarrettChan, in Duke3d for example the things will appear on the difficulty you set them and any below that, in Doom each skill flag (1-2, 3, 4-5) is independent of the others, so you could have one difficulty that had no monsters at all, if you wanted to.

Guest Unregistered account
4 minutes ago, dmslr said:

I hate damaging floors. I can't imagine someone saying: "Yeah, that area with damaging floor was fun to go through".

If it's mandatory, sure, but they can be well-employed to affect your movement and decision making during a fight

11 hours ago, warman2012 said:

Modern pwads these days are too hard. Turn the Dark Souls down a notch. (This one is serious.)

11 hours ago, warman2012 said:

Holy contradiction, Batman! Once again, NIH has got you pegged. 

we need more megawads that use DeHackEd monsters, even if only for a boss or something (actually, especially only for a boss).

14 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

Haha I've done this in at least a couple maps so far, having been inspired by yakfak's "painful and stupid" difficulty on spikersilk (iirc?) As welp as the general UV-or-bust mindset ;D

24 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

Controversial opinion: that seems like a jerk thing to do. When I select an easier difficulty setting, I expect the game to get easier and vice versa. Fucking with that just to irritate some guys on the Internet you don’y Like is just petty.

Just now, Muscle Witch said:

Controversial opinion: that seems like a jerk thing to do. When I select an easier difficulty setting, I expect the game to get easier and vice versa. Fucking with that just to irritate some guys on the Internet you don’y Like is just petty.

You might expect that with the vanilla game but these are custom usermaps and they don't need to follow the same guidelines. People making maps can do whatever they want in the editor. Your controversial opinion is maybe that mappers should only do things a certain way, that's more like it :)

2 minutes ago, Muscle Witch said:

Controversial opinion: that seems like a jerk thing to do. When I select an easier difficulty setting, I expect the game to get easier and vice versa.

This is a good point and something that makes me struggle with fully committing to the idea and doing it for all wads, though on the other hand a logical point could be made for using HNTR as the hardest setting since that would make ITYTD usable as a means for a """full uv experience""" while also being more accessible to general players.

3 minutes ago, reflex17 said:

You might expect that with the vanilla game but these are custom usermaps and they don't need to follow the same guidelines. People making maps can do whatever they want in the editor. Your controversial opinion is maybe that mappers should only do things a certain way, that's more like it :)

You can do what you want, but that doesn't mean you'll do something good, or unable to be criticized.