Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

The shotgun is the most extolled and celebrated weapon in all of Doom if not all FPSes ever. 

I find original Doom doesn't scale well to epic maps and wish more people made close, intimate maps that were the bread and butter of the original games.

2 hours ago, DRMman said:

Super shotgun is pitifully boring.

Yep that's a controversial opinion, I'll give you that one!

I know this topic is named "Post Your Controversial Opinions About Doom" but goddamn, some of your guys' opinions just plain suck haha!

Me: All Doom games are great in their own way. All the music is great. All of the monsters are great (yes even though i suck at killing some of them). Mostly all of the weapons are great (yes some of Doom 3's are controversial and the Plasma gun sound in Doom 2016 is a little weak but i think everyone can agree on that). Fuck it. I'm done lol.

Now i haven't played Doom Eternal yet so i have no opinion on that one so far except that it looks fantastic.

15 minutes ago, CyberDreams said:

Me: All Doom games are great in their own way. All the music is great. All of the monsters are great (yes even though i suck at killing some of them). Mostly all of the weapons are great (yes some of Doom 3's are controversial and the Plasma gun sound in Doom 2016 is a little weak but i think everyone can agree on that). Fuck it. I'm done lol.

Literally took the words right out of my mouth. To me, there is something to value in every entry in the Doom franchise, and I'm just happy I have a series of games always just have a good time playing.

Also, I've played Eternal, and it is fantastic.

Pain Elementals are annoying monsters, but formidable enemies I like fighting. The feeling of getting to kill one or more in a room before they overrun you with lost souls is a satisfying experience. There is few pleasures greater than using a berserk pack and punching one out. 

TNT is boring and the worst MegaWAD of the official released games. There's some great maps in there, some that are more fun than the maps in Doom 2, but once you get half way through it, it don't offer much. I always get bored with TNT by the time I reach map 20. The first 6 maps are my favorites and after that, there's a few sprinkled in that I love (Crater, Heck, Dead Zone) but it's balanced with mediocre to god awful maps. Mount Pain and Habitat are some of the worst levels ever with Administration Zone and Central Processing not far from behind it. 

14 minutes ago, Quadrant339 said:

TNT is boring and the worst MegaWAD of the official released games. 

How is this controversial, lol.

4 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

How is this controversial, lol.

I've usually seen TNT get a lot more love from Plutonia in various communities. Plutonia's difficulty turns a lot of players off. 

1 hour ago, Quadrant339 said:

I've usually seen TNT get a lot more love from Plutonia in various communities. Plutonia's difficulty turns a lot of players off. 

It seems to me that a lot of players actually tend to dislike TNT more than Plutonia since the later levels in TNT tend to get "boring" and are just not very interesting maps, especially for an official release. That's really the main point though. For an official release it could of been better. That and the fact that it was paired with Plutonia, which has great maps imo although it can be immensely hard if you are new to playing it.

Also the drama that surrounded TNT back in the day is interesting to look into.

BTW, i actually like both TNT and Plutonia. 

9 hours ago, Quadrant339 said:

Plutonia's difficulty turns a lot of players off. 

Oh, people were just too hard to switch difficulties.

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

1. I despise remixes of Sign of Evil that turn it into a brutal chugga-chugga guitarfest. The original song is eerie and reserved, and a high-intensity cover just kills the mood. 

2. Outdoor terrain rarely if ever looks good in the Doom Engine. 

3. Quake is the real Doom 3. 

7 hours ago, DRMman said:

Without the SSG, Doom 2 would be Doom 1 all over again. *eye roll*

8 hours ago, DRMman said:

In my opinion the regular shotgun is kinda underrated, just my opinion though.

I came here to say this!

8 hours ago, DRMman said:

And this!

12 minutes ago, Tony_Danza_the_boss said:

Doom Eternal is a really big letdown for the series in general

is this even controversial at this point? Hating on Eternal seems to be the trendy thing around its release.

If the series can survive after TNT it can survive after Doom Eternal

9 hours ago, DRMman said:

In my opinion the regular shotgun is kinda underrated, just my opinion though.

The regular shotgun would definitely get more use if you could switch to it without using the SSG first. (Yes I know you can in some ports.)

2 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

2. Outdoor terrain rarely if ever looks good in the Doom Engine.

A few PWADS would like to have a word with you.

The best outdoor scenes come from Ancient Aliens.

The best map I can think of is Alien Vendetta Map 20, that has such a great starting area.

31 minutes ago, Bob9001 said:

The best outdoor scenes come from Ancient Aliens.

Nah, that goes to Lost Civilization.

47 minutes ago, Bob9001 said:

The best map I can think of is Alien Vendetta Map 20, that has such a great starting area.

Here comes another controversial opinion from me. Map 20 of AV is kinda overrated. Sure it is a great map from its time, but it has been vastly surpassed by maps in modern wads.

In fact I have a hot take. Both Alien Vendetta and Scythe 2 are overrated at this point. They are legendary wads of their time, but modern wads like Ancient Aliens, Eviternity, Valiant, Sunlust etc. blow em out of the water.

Edited by ReaperAA

Here we go: “Episode Two” of Doom II - maps 12-20 - is the best section of the game, with maps 12, 13, 15, and 19 especially standing out.

On jeudi 27 février 2020 at 2:48 PM, Pechudin said:

It also frequently does not really complement the atmosphere, like someone slapped together random maps and music without considering if they fit together. Sorry Bobby.

It's to Romero that you should be apologizing, since he's the one who matched maps with MIDI tracks. Bobby just made music and had no real say on where they fit.

Take for example "Into Sandy's City" that isn't actually used in Sandy's city map. (I guess it was Downtown or Suburbs?) Or take "Between Levels", with a title like that it was probably meant to be the intermission track. But the music tracks were reassigned often, for example in A Visit to id Software we get "Dark Halls" playing in E1M2 and "Waiting for Romero to Play" in E1M3. For another example, see the comments from Romero about the Unused Doom music tracks, like how "Opening to Hell" was originally meant to be the title music (a role it finally filled in Doom Eternal), or how E3M6 used to use a song finally removed from the game.

2 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

In fact I have a hot take. Both Alien Vendetta and Scythe 2 are overrated at this point. They are legendary wads of their time, but modern wads like Ancient Aliens, Eviternity, Valiant, Sunlust etc. blow em out of the water.

I can definitely agree on AV too, still good and will forever be a classic, but modern wads simply eclipse it.

Scythe 2 not so much, I think it aged wonderful, although it does get unnecessarily tedious and grindy at times down the road. Finally some controversial opinions :D.

2 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Nah, that goes to Lost Civilization.

All of them have great outdoor areas tbh, no point in a contest for something like this. Avactor and the outdoor areas of BTSX 2 were pretty cool too.

10 minutes ago, seed said:

Scythe 2

...has (a lot of  some) shitty secret placements. (You really can't disagree with this one. Many secrets are just TOO easy to find, they don't deserved to be tagged as secrets. Though it might be because Doom competitioning was a big deal in early 2000s + vanilla WADs have some kind of bugs with secret placements. I still hate it tho)

...has some maps that felt downright grindy.

...has some dickery enemy placements.

...has badly designed custom enemies.

There, I said it.

At least MAP30 of Scythe 2 is easier than Scythe 1, excluding the yellow key staircase route in Scythe 1.

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

24 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

...has (a lot of  some) shitty secret placements. (You really can't disagree with this one. Many secrets are just TOO easy to find, they don't deserved to be tagged as secrets. Though it might be because Doom competitioning was a big deal in early 2000s + vanilla WADs have some kind of bugs with secret placements. I still hate it tho)

...has some maps that felt downright grindy.

...has some dickery enemy placements.

...has badly designed custom enemies.

There, I said it.

I'm not gonna disagree on these points :p. The Afrit was ridiculously tough (then again, I guess that was its purpose, wasn't it, a new boss-tier enemy considering it was even used as such in some maps), and the ridiculously OP Plasma Marines (I actually had fun dealing with them, but I won't deny they were pretty OP with their insanely fast attacks - which were also ultra damaging). But hey, better than Stardate 20x7's take on the Afrit at least (whatever its name was) - good luck dodging THAT one...

Secrets I won't go into because I hate secrets in these games as a general rule, so... obvious, not obvious, it concerns me not.

Dickery ain't a new phenomenon though, but yeah it sucks when it happens - are there even wads made these days without any dickish moves somewhere :v ? At least it's not as bad as Plutonia 2... seriously, whoever designed the secrets in that wad simply has to be a troll, almost every single one of them triggered a dick trap...

I won't agree on the final map though. The entire MAP30 of Scythe 2 is more difficult than the original's IMO. Tougher combat, more enemies, and better use and placement.

Contrary to the new games' treatment of the Doom guy, Doom isn't supposed to be about being the ultimate badass; it's about being a lone survivor fighting against the odds.