Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rd.

Post Your Controversial Opinions About Doom

I'm torn on the D_RUNNIN question. On one hand, yes I'm sick to death with it after hearing it 99999 times while playtesting and 99999 more times while playing random single-map wads.. On the other hand, I associate it with some of the first custom WADs I ever played, and that solo is genuinely cool at the end half of the song. It's rare to see a solo made entirely of 8th notes that still sounds cool the whole way through.

4 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

SRB2 should be GZDoom compatible

As a Doom Legacy-based game, SRB2 features lots of stuff that can't be done by GZDoom, eg. water effect in software renderer.

(Yeah, I know this is still a controversial opinion thread, but still.)

thy flesh consumed is a test of patience (despise it). the autoaim is horendous most of the time. the pistol is pretty inaccurate. the pain elemental was a mistake.

I love D_RUNNIN, but I may like D_STALKS even more. When I test stuff on MAP01, I often change the music do D_STALKS because I don't want to risk getting oversaturated with D_RUNNING but it seems like I could listen to D_STALKS all day just fine.

I like all Doom 2 music in general, Between The Levels included. The weirdly upbeat ones fit the vaguely Earthly, less scary vibe of the levels. D_DEAD and D_OPENIN on the other hand provide the uniquely creepy experiences not quite like any D1 musics.

I say Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Final Doom, and especially Doom 3 are all visually ugly and monotonous in their own ways. Doom 2016 isn't ugly but is very dull in appearance.

I do really like Doom 64 and Doom Eternal's extensive use of colours and contrasting locations.

I also don't like Doom's general depiction of Hell. It depends too much on looking like what common religions describe it to be. When it's meant to be a chaotic dimension that hates all life on Earth, it really should be something that completely contradicts the structure of Earth's ecosystems.

City-themed maps are my favorite, no matter how well or badly executed. I can't think of a city map I disliked.

Dumping 200 monsters on the player when they're underequipped isn't "hard", it's boring. Some of us have had nearly 30 years of training on Doom's monsters by now. Avoiding Revenant missiles isn't a matter of skill anymore than it is waiting for the shotgun to reload while you fire away for ten minutes.

On 3/28/2020 at 1:19 PM, ReaperAA said:

In fact I have a hot take. Both Alien Vendetta and Scythe 2 are overrated at this point. They are legendary wads of their time, but modern wads like Ancient Aliens, Eviternity, Valiant, Sunlust etc. blow em out of the water.

Okay, so my opinion on AV has definitely changed after properly playing it for the first time just recently. When I wrote the above comment, I had only played/watched AV in bits and pieces. While AV isn't superior to the modern wads that I had mentioned, it still is an incredibly fun wad with good balance of action and adventure moments.

Also between AV and Scythe 2, I would definitely go with AV.

Bastion of Chaos, I'm not really sure how it's supposed to be "innovative" or "revolutionary". I think it's an amazing mod even though my poor AMD E2 can't run it, but from what I've seen, I'm not entirely sure how it "changed slaughtermapping". Is it because it's a giant fortress that has a lot of interconnectivity?

8 hours ago, Buzzerb5x9x said:

doom is better with vertical look

You win the thread. Prepare you pitchforks, guys!

8 hours ago, Buzzerb5x9x said:

doom is better with vertical look

I have to agree with this one to some extent.

One of my main gripes with classic Doom is a wonky vertical auto aim. Freelook eliviates that issue somewhat.

There has been moments in Vanilla ports where im trying to shoot an enemy up a flight of stairs and it fails to autoaim.

The maps in Scythe 1 really aren't that great, especially compared to other 2003 levels.

8 minutes ago, AvadaKedavraWithQuadDamage said:

large rooms with hitscanners and pinkies/spectres.

That's where you should tho.

Bosses it a bad idea if you have the plasma and/or BFG 😉.

I personally think that the bug in map 25 of doom 2 looks cool, idk, it's curious (screenshot taken in BOOM)

imagen.png.7119c46d41597815991b5e15aa467196.png

On 1/23/2021 at 12:21 PM, seed said:

Where did you see speedrunners walk instead of run? I'm yet to see such demos.

I suppose, if one were to construct a pathological map that penalized running by e.g. relying on extreme precision (and thus a running player would have to brake/mare more extreme corrections etc.), then maybe walking would be a better option. Excluding TAS, of course.

16 hours ago, seed said:

That's where you should tho.

But these places are rare in Doom 1, the most notable one is Mt. Erebus, some areas in it are filled with hitscanners and imps, killing them with the shotgun is a bad idea, while using the chaingun and rocket launcher is a good idea.

16 hours ago, seed said:

Bosses it a bad idea if you have the plasma and/or BFG 😉.

Agreed on this, but using the rocket launcher on a Cyberdemon is fine, you can't get killed easily by him, also, most boss levels that contain a cyberdemon give you a plenty amount of rockets.

16 hours ago, Lol 6 said:

I personally think that the bug in map 25 of doom 2 looks cool, idk, it's curious (screenshot taken in BOOM)

imagen.png.7119c46d41597815991b5e15aa467196.png

Exactly which aspect of it is a bug? Is it not supposed to actually look like a floating cube of water?

25 minutes ago, Maes said:

Exactly which aspect of it is a bug? Is it not supposed to actually look like a floating cube of water?

It's sides are untextured, so the water texture bleeds into them. I always thought that was done intentionally and looks cool. 

1 minute ago, A.H. Sankhatayan said:

It's sides are untextured, so the water texture bleeds into them. I always thought that was done intentionally and looks cool. 

Hmmm... for some reason I thought that they used an animated water texture (didn't really notice the bleeding), but those were only introduced in Final Doom, it seems, and even then I'm not sure they really just look like an animated water flat.

4 hours ago, Maes said:

Well, it's hell, there are crazy things there and this is no exception, I think that makes the level more unique.

4 hours ago, A.H. Sankhatayan said:

It was done intentionally indeed.

I've heard this time from time... so I'll say it. Doom is not a perfectly balanced game.

But still is perfect to me.

13 hours ago, GraphicBleeder said:

I do not like Doom 4's soundtrack.

based

Over time, it just gets annoying. Sometimes I would play different songs saved on my phone or use Spotify while playing through 4 or Eternal.

Just now, VoanHead said:

based

Over time, it just gets annoying. Sometimes I would play different songs saved on my phone or use Spotify while playing through 4 or Eternal.

I dislike it because it just... Sounds annoying, and too electronic for my taste.

People joke about how Mick synthesized a chainsaw or something but they soon forget that chainsaws do not sound good in music.

I'd much rather put on a Slayer or Cannibal Corpse album while playing Doom then Mick's soundtrack.

On 2/23/2021 at 1:21 AM, Doomkid said:

I'm torn on the D_RUNNIN question. On one hand, yes I'm sick to death with it after hearing it 99999 times while playtesting and 99999 more times while playing random single-map wads.. On the other hand, I associate it with some of the first custom WADs I ever played, and that solo is genuinely cool at the end half of the song. It's rare to see a solo made entirely of 8th notes that still sounds cool the whole way through.

I share with you the same sentiment .. I