Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

plums said:

Crispy Doom supports this with the -fliplevels switch. I think fraggle originally wrote it for SMMU. It feels pretty weird.

Sounds pretty cool I have to check it out! =)

@Jaxxoon R

Yeah I realize that, but I feel if it was an actual difficulty (not a joke difficulty) it could be tweaked a little that's all. =3

gaspe said:

Running from Evil guitar solo > At Doom's Gate

I agree 100%.

rdwpa said:

Opinion: if metal/progrock/country/rap/corecore/etc. is your favorite genre of music -- i.e., anything other than girly indie pop + dreampop and similar -- your opinion wrt what makes the best Doom backing tracks is completely irrelevant.

You're going to have to elaborate, because this sounds just kind of ludicrous and exclusionary. (I have no particular favorite genre, as my tastes cover nearly everything you just listed, though I definitely skew towards synthwave and altpop these days.)

dethtoll said:

You're going to have to elaborate, because this sounds just kind of ludicrous and exclusionary. (I have no particular favorite genre, as my tastes cover nearly everything you just listed, though I definitely skew towards synthwave and altpop these days.)

I'm 99% sure that he isn't being serious. :P

Not sure if said before by me or from anyone else in the thread but Doom 1 was a better game than the sequel. Better level design, better music, tighter control on monster and weapon usage, atmosphere, the setting, pretty much everything.

Partial invisibility makes hitscanners weaker vs you while everything else gets an AI boost!

Edit : I don't really think that is an unpopular opinion though.

Cyanosis said:

Not sure if said before by me or from anyone else in the thread but Doom 1 was a better game than the sequel. Better level design, better music, tighter control on monster and weapon usage, atmosphere, the setting, pretty much everything.

I share this opinion as well. I say this all the time but I get a lot of backlash. Honestly I found Doom 1 to be perfectly balanced and blended dark horror with colorful action beautifully. Doom 2 was... decent. The maps were more complex but didn't excite me as much. They were all fairly dull and boring. Lacked color or a particular theme. I also hated how they ditched the episode system. I LOVED the idea of starting each episode from scratch and eventually getting stronger and stronger to build up to a final boss battle. That was an epic concept! And they got rid of it. Shame really. The new monsters and super shotgun from Doom 2 were great additions however. Added a ton of modding potential to the game.

Plutonia was also dull and brown but I found the maps to be more exciting than Doom 2. Faster, more hectic gameplay. TNT was a mixed bag. Overall Doom 1 was flawless. Every map is a winner. The original classic.

Azuruish said:

'Particular invisibility' makes gameplay more harder - you just don't know where will shoot your enemy.

This is a really common opinion actually. Everyone hates partial invisibility. I always try to avoid grabbing it but sometimes it's right in the way and forces you to pick it up.

Partial invisibility is a great powerup. I like how the simple projectile monsters can pose a dodging/anticipatory challenge against. Mancs become particularly batshit. The only part I dislike about it is, many months ago, forgetting that I had the RL toggled and blowing myself up on stuff. Would be better if the weapon were translucent. I will usually try to avoid it of course if my goal is survival, but mappers should do things like have voodoo dolls pick up PIs for you, forced in certain encounters.

rdwpa said:

edit: This might be my favorite thing I've composed in the past year. <3 the piano part <3, it's soooooo girly.

That track is really nice, well done. Is there a map to go with it?

rdwpa said:

Partial invisibility is a great powerup. I like how the simple projectile monsters can pose a dodging/anticipatory challenge against. Mancs become particularly batshit. The only part I dislike about it is, many months ago, forgetting that I had the RL toggled and blowing myself up on stuff. Would be better if the weapon were translucent. I will usually try to avoid it of course if my goal is survival, but mappers should do things like have voodoo dolls pick up PIs for you, forced in certain encounters.

It's better to do like KSutra 27 and have encounters that mix insane Chaingunner spam (crazy enough to force the blur sphere pickup to survive) and then projectile enemies to take advantage of the blur sphere (Cyberdemons are particularly hilarious, especially if the player is in a situation where one rocket will kill).

plums said:

That track is really nice, well done. Is there a map to go with it?

Thanks. It's from this map: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1546280.

(My favorite map of the ones I posted in that thread is "Twoira" (not my music). UV has some first-playthrough-unfriendly setups; HMP is somewhat fairer w/o preknowledge.)

Cynical said:

It's better to do like KSutra 27 and have encounters that mix insane Chaingunner spam (crazy enough to force the blur sphere pickup to survive) and then projectile enemies to take advantage of the blur sphere (Cyberdemons are particularly hilarious, especially if the player is in a situation where one rocket will kill).

Yeah hitscanner spam is my usual motivator. This 6-hr speedmap of mine has an example. Anc's sexy FDA is underneath; it's the first fight he goes to.

@RUSH

Indeed, sure the maps were bigger and more 'detailed' in places than the ones in the first game but theme-wise they were mostly abstract in a bad way. There was definite lack of color variety in the sequel too, a ton of brown and dull green dominated the game, with the odd red or gray. I've always liked how good the blue looked in Doom, and D1 had a lot of blue.

If you combined the good maps from TNT and the ones in D2 that didn't suck, D2 would've been a much better experience.

I find E1M4 to be such a drag of a map.... it feels too long IMHO. No offense I'm just saying compared to the other levels, it's pretty long (especially that maze part).

Episode 1 is the best episode in Doom. The second one is just kinda weird and the third episode starts off brutally hard but then kinda dips after m3.

I think Episode 2 is the best episode in Doom, just because it has the Containment Area.

Though Episode 3 is also pretty good, I feel like the difficulty fluctuates too much.

Episode 1 is good, but there are some levels that drag on FAR too long than they really need to IMHO.

Azuruish said:

'Partial invisibility' makes gameplay more harder - you just don't know where will shoot your enemy.

Absolutely right.

Frisky said:

Doom's level design is a 4.5/10

*You hear a loud distant rumble gradually approaching*

Episode 3 > 2 > 1 > 4. The Hell episode has some of the best and original maps which all play very differently and are all memorable. It's also significantly better than maps 21-30 of Doom 2, excluding 29 which is great, a lot of which look nothing like Hell and more like "corrupted UAC techbase with nukage."

E3M8 is the worst map ever made. Being the last level in Doom (originally) and Hell episode in particular, this map should've been the most hellish and epic map in the game, featuring a very challenging boss fight. What we got instead is the map that could be beaten in less than 30 seconds, even the first time you play it (asuming you have a BFG). But my main complain is the design. Why the hell this map is so grassy? Where are all hellish textures? I just don't understand the logic of the designers here.

3_nights said:

Episode 1 is the best episode in Doom. The second one is just kinda weird and the third episode starts off brutally hard but then kinda dips after m3.

Didn't you mean E4 by what you called the third episode?

ChekaAgent said:

E3M8 is the worst map ever made. Being the last level in Doom (originally) and Hell episode in particular, this map should've been the most hellish and epic map in the game, featuring a very challenging boss fight. What we got instead is the map that could be beaten in less than 30 seconds, even the first time you play it (asuming you have a BFG). But my main complain is the design. Why the hell this map is so grassy? Where are all hellish textures? I just don't understand the logic of the designers here.

final bosses usually done in a last minute, when you don't have time to do it properly. many games suffers from this

>Encourage Exploration
>Lots of Traps

Pick one.

I remember doing playthroughs of Eternal DooM and just being discouraged from exploring because of the goddamn traps.. I got so tired of grabbing keys and then a bunch of Revenants..

Traps are fine in moderation but if you want people to look around make it feel rewarding.

Also Modus Morgul or whatever it was called in Deus Vult II is the worst best looking map i've ever played, its gorgeous, its also the most cynically designed slaughter map in the history of DooM.