Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

I think you're too overpowered in Doom since you can tear through legions of monsters without breaking a sweat but Quake balances its weapons so you feel less powerful and like the monsters are actually a threat. I prefer the second method to the first as fun as the first can be.

SavageCorona said:

Quake balances its weapons so you feel less powerful and like the monsters are actually a threat.

It's true, I agree.

I agree that you are too powerful in Doom, but that what I like about it, TBH (maybe except the super-high speed), because that's where level design comes in and makes things balanced. You don't need a legion of monsters to make the enemies a threat, but just some well positioned folks in a challenging enviroment.

True that positioning and the environment can make an incredibly mundane simple to kill enemy into a very dangerous one and Quake is no exception to this rule, although it's less of an exception because of the difference in combat style where you're managing distance between you and the enemy and preferably staying as far away as possible rather than outright projectile dodging and opting for closer style combat which would get you killed in Quake. The way the enemies attack you is a lot more dynamic and makes them more dangerous in Quake where they can often move and attack at the same time like how the knights run and swing their swords simultaneously or the fiends with their jumping attacks compared to how pinkies run towards you, stop and take a nip and how literally every single monster in Doom besides the lost soul stops moving to attack you.

I feel it's more of an issue with how incredibly slow and robotic the enemies in Doom are rather than how you're a complete powerhouse because a combination of being powerful but also having powerful dynamic enemies would create a whole new game entirely.

SavageCorona said:

Each one takes about 6-7 shots probably even 8 and the shotgun is SOOO SLLOOOOWWWW which is why Doom 1 having barons in early levels was the worst thing.

Does it? There's one on E2M3 and four on E2M4, but that's halfway through the episode; and there's a rocket launcher and plenty of rockets on E2M2. Pistol starting E2M4, ok, you're going to have to nibble barons to death with the shotgun, but I can't see the point in pistol starting levels then complaining you don't have the weapons from previous levels.

Much the same story in episode 3; by the time you meet barons, you've got rockets. (In both cases, you've also got plasma aplenty).

Episode 4? Bah to episode 4.

SavageCorona said:

..... and opting for closer style combat which would get you killed in Quake.

You obviously haven't seen me fight a shambler with a shotgun ;) no but seriously I'm terrible at punching in Doom so I still keep my distance haha

The hardest monster to safely punch without getting damaged yourself is the Cacodemon, due to his combination of erratic sliding-like floating and quick projectile attack. Even the Arachnotron and Spider Mastermind with vanilla Doom's flawed hit detection tend to be easier to safely fight be punching, I feel.

One thing that I've occasionally tried is a kind of weird side-swipe-y movement that I can't really describe. I haven't really practiced it so much yet, but I think it should be effective.

Wad and demo demonstrating the idea: http://www.mediafire.com/download/umijhycxdp5pbdp/cacopunch.rar (This texture combo was chosen because it seemed like total nonsense, but it actually looks kind of good.)

Edit: It seems like staying quite close and then waiting for it to attack, and then dodging and punching in one fluid movement, is effective. But I've seen cacos fire two projectiles almost without any delay at all, so this isn't foolproof.

rdwpa said:

Edit: It seems like staying quite close and then waiting for it to attack, and then dodging and punching in one fluid movement, is effective. But I've seen cacos fire two projectiles almost without any delay at all, so this isn't foolproof.

I swear cacos love to forget -fast *isn't* on when you get up close, and just never stop attacking

Ijon Tichy said:

I swear cacos love to forget -fast *isn't* on when you get up close, and just never stop attacking

Their attack animation is pretty short compared to many monsters; I think it's that that does it. (And their bite is nastier than their fireballs).

Yousuf Anik said:

Caco looks better than PE :D

I don't think many people actually believe the opposite, what with the Caco being more colorful and stuff.

scifista42 said:

The hardest monster to safely punch without getting damaged yourself is the Cacodemon, due to his combination of erratic sliding-like floating and quick projectile attack. Even the Arachnotron and Spider Mastermind with vanilla Doom's flawed hit detection tend to be easier to safely fight be punching, I feel.

For some reason I swear to god that Imps are even harder. They just throw fireballs whenever they feel. I'm out of ammo so I have my fist, I see an Imp so I think this is my chance. I ran at him in a circle strafing motion he throws a fire ball and I dodge it and as soon as I'm about to punch another fireball comes. Like WTF!? hahaha it always makes me cringe that I can't land a punch

You gotta learn to time it and keep an eye out for that first frame of the attack animation. Also, get better at dodging from 5 feet away or less. From that close, you are in the perfect position to both get in for a quick punch (of course start the swing before you touch the monster) or a short, hasty retreat.

Something that might help is make a little 64-wide hallway and practice fisting some mobs in it.

@Fonze Yeah I've wanted to start a thread about tips and techniques people use in Doom because I recently figured out I'm well below average at the game and wanted to know what people typically do to get better

Maes said:

I don't think many people actually believe the opposite, what with the Caco being more colorful and stuff.

Uhm excuse me, but have you seen this adorable face?

40oz said:

The pistol could have a higher frequency that would sound light and the chaingun could have a lower frequency to sound more powerful.

funny that you mention that. because the opposite is true: chaingun has higher pitch than pistol. maybe that was a mistake though

I find it alright that a faster moving object makes a higher pitched sound. I mean, the chaingun's barrels spin fast.

Though I like the maps, I find PSX/Saturn DOOM as well as DOOM 64 a bit too scary for me to behold.

I tried giving Doom 64 a chance several times, and even made it to map 05, but I just can't enjoy it. Very switch hunt oriented, dull "music" and textures and very poorly animated sprites. What the hell were they thinking with those pathetic Hell Knight/Baron plasma throwing animations?! The weapon animation are terrible too, especially the SSG and the fist. And whoever thought that flashing red light section was a good idea for anything other than inducing seizures needs a strong slap against their nutsack.

rileymartin said:

I tried giving Doom 64 a chance several times, and even made it to map 05, but I just can't enjoy it. Very switch hunt oriented, dull "music" and textures and very poorly animated sprites. What the hell were they thinking with those pathetic Hell Knight/Baron plasma throwing animations?! The weapon animation are terrible too, especially the SSG and the fist. And whoever thought that flashing red light section was a good idea for anything other than inducing seizures needs a strong slap against their nutsack.

I agree with the Baron animations and the disco lights. But the rest I have to disagree, most of the weapons animations was due to memory limitations and was done out of necessity. The Musis needs to fit the atmospheric tone of the maps. I would personally cringe to hear MIDI rock in any Doom 64 level that was crafted for atmosphere, even the moody "Demons on the Prey" wont work.

jazzmaster9 said:

I agree with the Baron animations and the disco lights. But the rest I have to disagree, most of the weapons animations was due to memory limitations and was done out of necessity. The Musis needs to fit the atmospheric tone of the maps. I would personally cringe to hear MIDI rock in any Doom 64 level that was crafted for atmosphere, even the moody "Demons on the Prey" wont work.

What are you talking about? The Healer Stalks would fit perfectly in Doom 64's atmosphere. Because when I think of combating demons in hells darkest chambers, I think of Salsa music. Oh, wait.

Piper Maru said:

What are you talking about? The Healer Stalks would fit perfectly in Doom 64's atmosphere. Because when I think of combating demons in hells darkest chambers, I think of Salsa music. Oh, wait.

That reminds me of a fan-made version of the song with the PSX sound font I heard on YouTube.

After Doom II, id got pretty much lazy and focused on milking the Doom franchise for all that it was worth till our very days (and even Doom II was kind of a "least effort" sequel).