Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

I think the Like system cuts down on comment clutter. I see screenshots of an upcoming mapset, I press Like, simple. Instead of writing "These look great" every week in the thread. Or when a port gets updated, I just like the post instead of posting "Good changes, thanks!" after every minor revision...

8 minutes ago, VGA said:

I think the Like system cuts down on comment clutter. I see screenshots of an upcoming mapset, I press Like, simple. Instead of writing "These look great" every week in the thread. Or when a port gets updated, I just like the post instead of posting "Good changes, thanks!" after every minor revision...

Yep , you're right but I see people doing both.  For me , writing a little comment needs more effort than just clicking on a button so it has more value for me. 

The comment can be positive or negative , I dont care. I like sometimes when someone say that one of my screens is not really beautiful for instance. :) I know at least how to improve.

Edited by Roofi

1 hour ago, Asking4Id said:

I don't like infighting and I think the Doom engine should never have had it.

I do love infighting, but using WhackEd4, you can create a zdoom-compatible patch that completely disables monster infighting. I used this in my Doomed in Space mod and it certainly gives things a new twist. You can't rely on the baddies to self destruct, you have to put the effort in to kill each one!

Infighting is a very interesting mechanic, largely unique to Doom for how useful it can be. Sure, other games have it as well, but it's rarely a core part of the combat experience. I'll wager it's a significant aspect of what keeps vanilla fights still engaging after all these years. It creates chaos and unpredictability among otherwise very simple enemies. I agree that it can seem kind of lame when you can simply retreat and watch a horde of mixed enemies kill each other while doing nothing, i.e. Scythe 2 map09, but that's more due to the mapper not accounting for potential cheese.

4 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

Infighting is a very interesting mechanic, largely unique to Doom for how useful it can be. Sure, other games have it as well, but it's rarely a core part of the combat experience. I'll wager it's a significant aspect of what keeps vanilla fights still engaging after all these years. It creates chaos and unpredictability among otherwise very simple enemies. I agree that it can seem kind of lame when you can simply retreat and watch a horde of mixed enemies kill each other while doing nothing, i.e. Scythe 2 map09, but that's more due to the mapper not accounting for potential cheese.

Exactly. Skilled mappers even create scenarios which force players to resort to this mechanic, making the encounters nigh impossible to survive otherwise.

2 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

OK, that's it, I will make a thread about games with infighting

Edited by VGA

The thread about sounds made me think of something: in classic Doom (and several other old games of the same era), monsters do a specific, easily recognizable death cry when they're killed. This serves as an audio cue that the monster is dead and you can stop focusing on it, even if you don't see it.

In Doom 2016/Eternal, based on the videos I've seen, there's no clear audio cue a monster is dead. Unless you go for a glory kill or chainsawing, in which case you do get audio cues but they're kinda redundant.

1 minute ago, Toilet_Wine_Connoisseur said:

E1 of doom is completely overrated.

I find Sandys gimmicky maps like The Chasm to be way more interesting.

E4 is probably my favorite of ultimate doom.

Aghhhhhhhh!
I hate you! Your opinion is the total opposite of mine therefore I f*cking hate you for that!!! I am right, you are wrong!!!

Arch-Vile is underpowered and often pathetic. It makes no sense as to why his ability to cover you in to flames does zero damage, as result his attack is very easy to avoid that takes like 3 seconds to actually cast. At least Diabloist has fixed it and burns you instantly.

21 minutes ago, MaxRideWizardLord said:

Arch-Vile is underpowered and often pathetic. It makes no sense as to why his ability to cover you in to flames does zero damage, as result his attack is very easy to avoid that takes like 3 seconds to actually cast. At least Diabloist has fixed it and burns you instantly.

It all depends on the room, if there is no geometry tall enough to hide you, your only option is to rush him and try to painstun him. Also, if he is behind other monsters, you have to somehow get to him and kill him early, like Pain Elementals. You can't just kill Hellknights and Mancubi while a Vile is at the back, resurrecting them. Also, I have seen in some maps a Vile or two getting resurrected in a room you have already cleared and resurrecting everything. So you go back to that room you had cleared and see all the monsters dead AND a Vile or two behind them targetting you through them all.

2 minutes ago, VGA said:

It all depends on the room, if there is no geometry tall enough to hide you, your only option is to rush him and try to painstun him. Also, if he is behind other monsters, you have to somehow get to him and kill him early, like Pain Elementals. You can't just kill Hellknights and Mancubi while a Vile is at the back, resurrecting them. Also, I have seen in some maps a Vile or two getting resurrected in a room you have already cleared and resurrecting everything. So you go back to that room you had cleared and see all the monsters dead AND a Vile or two behind them targetting you through them all.

While in custom maps you can make any kind of enemies extremely annoying, and there has been some that made beginner monsters like shotgunners in to sniper hitscan absolute cancer, I was mostly referring to the original Doom 2 and situations where arch-vile tend to be on his own, which is most of the cases in doom 2 aside from maybe map14. He has limited range so you can always run to door where you came from if there is nowhere to hide, and in close range he isn't that big deal to stun, especially if you have overpowered SSG; it's like 50\50 chance of stun per shot, maybe even 60\40, and you always can shoot him twice before he boost you up.

Not really sure if this is an unpopular opinion, but I hate the smooth texture and sprite options for various Source Ports.

And their purpose is to make the game look better, which I will never understand how some people believe.

They make games look incredibly ugly, at least for sprite based shooters. I don't mind them all that much in games like Quake though.

Edited by ASON-Z-

Slaughtermaps are doom in its purest form. When ammo conservation (although using infighting is still a thing) and monster counts are not important, what's left behind is raw skill.

still not a fan of slaughter maps though

13 minutes ago, DiamondDude11 said:

Is Mouse look okay to use?
Because I think Mouse look is okay to use.

A few wads are tough to play without it.

On 2/5/2020 at 7:42 PM, ReaperAA said:

While Memento Mori is a very important wad in Doom's history (its the first Doom 2 megawad), I feel that it has aged poorly. I feel that even wads like TNT:Evilution and Icarus are better than MM1. Perdition's Gate in-turn is better than both TNT and Icarus..

And all of these don't even hold a candle against Plutonia.

Oh! I do have a controversial opinion here. I really like Icarus. I've played through it twice now, and I think the "virtual" levels withstood the test of time for the most part in terms of aesthetics and design factor, even if the spaceship ones have not.

And while there's a direct comparison between the two at hand: I'll place Perdition's Gate at the top of this classic Wad pile. It's just consistently satisfying in terms of gameplay for me and strikes a near-perfect balance between exciting encounters and sufficient resources, and has a really cool secret level. So long as we ignore that last map.

Kinda controversial but I like "A Regular Day".

The wad gave me a few chuckles and some of the maps are fairly well designed (though some are very poorly laid out). About half the guns don't appear and what does appear, about half the time are useless (mostly due to a lack of a long-range weapon or a good explosive wep).

One big issue though is the excessive "imagery"... Funny at first but it gets old fast. :P

1 hour ago, DiamondDude11 said:

Is Mouse look okay to use?
Because I think Mouse look is okay to use.

The most important is having fun, but be aware that freelook on non-zdoom maps will mostly break some intended combat scenarios and make it a lot easier, unless the author say otherwise. It's up to you playing the way it was intended or not.

Edited by Noiser

25 minutes ago, Noiser said:

The most important is having fun, but be aware that freelook on non-zdoom maps will mostly break some intended combat scenarios and make it a lot easier, unless the author say otherwise. It's up to you playing the way it was intended or not.

Non ZDoom maps? Is that similar to GZDoom maps?

6 minutes ago, DiamondDude11 said:

ZDoom and GZDoom maps are the same thing. Non-ZDoom refers to things like Vanilla or Boom maps. 

51 minutes ago, DiamondDude11 said:

So most vanilla/boom maps are made with classic Doom mechanics in mind, which didn't have the ability to look up and down or shoot beyond what's possible with autoaim. By using freelook, you have the option of eliminating targets at a much longer range than intended. Of course, there are some exceptions for wads like Hellbound or Lost Civilization where freelook is recommended.