Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

Hmm, I remember Doom Zero being on the hard side of the spectrum, at least on pistol start anyway

Just now, Horus said:

Hmm, I remember Doom Zero being on the hard side of the spectrum, at least on pistol start anyway

Some of the later levels aren't good for that, yeah, as they withhold the SSG and other powerful arms you need for the mid-tiers. It can be a little annoying in places with a pistol-start or pistol-start mindset, I noticed while doing the latter. But the good ultimately outweighed the bad most of the time.

1 hour ago, Horus said:

There were only like 4 or 5 maps that were challenging with pistol starts. The rest of the maps I managed to beat in 1 or 2 pistol start attempts (and that too when I played blind) 

2 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

There were only like 4 or 5 maps that were challenging with pistol starts. The rest of the maps I managed to beat in 1 or 2 pistol start attempts (and that too when I played blind) 

Yes, but you are a much better player than me :P (as evidenced by your blind survival of all three Vracks!)

I preffer Heretic over both Dooms just because of Aesthetiques.

20 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Uhm, no, not even close. Serious Sam is a Smash TV game, it doesn't play anything like Doom, let alone Eternal. It's instructional video time: 

Not even close, hm?

Serious Sam 2 puts the whole Serious Sam Experience to an even more comedic-absurdish level, just like Doom Eternal the Doom-Franchise.

In Doom Eternal there are things like:

1:  Every time you manage to archive a headshot, there is this very weird 'plop' sound (in SS2 it's the bowling-pin sound)

2:  Also a weird sound when a cacodemon is melee-killed (I'm trying to avoid this G...Kill word)

3:  Extra Lives just like in SS2

4:  Netrisca = Vega

'Stand Alone Absurdism' in Doom Eternal:

'Fortress of Doom', 'Ripatorium', Toy-Pickups, LP-Pickups, Cheat-Pickups, "All mortally challenged personnel please be advised", Zombies are ammo containers, Doomguy - sorry, Doom Slayer - speaks (of course he does), The Rocket Launcher looks like, well I don't know..

etc, etc..

Don't get me wrong, I don't 'hate' Doom Eternal or something like that, I think I am way too old to feel hate on Video-games ;)

It's a fun game and I like it (well, sort of).

Serious Sam 3 BFE, for me, feels more Doomish:

Earth, overrun by hordes of demons/aliens, lies in ruins, all looks desperate and there is no hope left. Well, there is one hope: You, Sam Stone. 

"Against all the evil that Hell can conjure (...), we will send unto them... only you" fits to SS3 just as good as it fits to Doom Eternal, I think.

If you disable the voice quotes in SS3, and swap the Sam Stone player model to the Doom Slayer one (I bet someone has already done that), it's Doom.

G.. Kills are also included ;)

27 minutes ago, Voltcom said:

I like texture filtering. Fight me.

Why do you need the pistol if there's the chaingun? Use high quality resize mode (XBRZ 2X).

On 6/14/2020 at 2:33 PM, Voltcom said:

I like texture filtering. Fight me.

Black mages suck at fighting, you know.

49 minutes ago, The Nate said:

Memento Mori is ass

Insofar as it aged horribly, yes quite.

3 hours ago, HerrKaleun said:

Doom II is the best FPS of all-time and nothing released now or in the future will ever top it.

Sorry, but I'd say for me that's still UT99.

16 hours ago, The Strife Commando said:

John Romero is not a god.

i think it was daikatana that proved this.

17 hours ago, The Strife Commando said:

John Romero is not a god.

Not really unpopular, given that Daikatana is near-universally mocked and opinions on Sigil were kind of split (I liked it but a lot of people didn't).

The consensus is less that he's a "god" and more that he's just a cool dude.

If look into a mirror and say John Romero 7 times in a row he will appear and hand you a copy of Daikatana. Doesn't get much cooler than that. 

-Most WADs that involve new monsters have an awful habit of "showing them off" a little bit too much, like the WAD creator is very proud of them and tries to use them as much as they can get away with, balance be damned.

-People that are anti "save scumming" have way too much time on their hands, if a level has a par time of over 10 minutes and is also extremely hard i'm not wasting an hour doing it in one shot for bragging rights. 

3 minutes ago, Tammato said:

-People that are anti "save scumming" have way too much time on their hands, if a level has a par time of over 10 minutes and is also extremely hard i'm not wasting an hour doing it in one shot for bragging rights. 

Oh yes.

Definitely this.

5 hours ago, InDOOMnesia said:

Oh yes.

Definitely this.

Count me too.

Sorry, that time is better spent on other activities than getting frustrated over a map/wad, and I am well aware where my skill level is, I am not "gitting gud" during that process, thanks.

If I feel I am making zero progress in approximately 30min. or a little more than that, I will skip it and focus on something else.

9 hours ago, Tammato said:

I can agree with this, but I think it's incorrect to assume that the reason people do this is for bragging rights. It's more about personal satisfaction than showing off to your peers.

18 minutes ago, Arbys550 said:

I can agree with this, but I think it's incorrect to assume that the reason people do this is for bragging rights. It's more about personal satisfaction than showing off to your peers.

Basically feed your own ego.

And that's the catch: the ego is never satisfied with anything, it's like a pit growing larger and larger.

1 hour ago, Arbys550 said:

I think it's incorrect to assume that the reason people do this is for bragging rights. It's more about personal satisfaction than showing off to your peers.

Agreed, I save after I've done enough progress before points where I'm unsure what to expect, feels more fun this way, saving in wrong times or when low on resources is never a good time.

Edited by sluggard

There was never any reason for any source port to feature texture filtering, as assets did not become high resolution to necessitate filtering until the 6th console generation. It was only added because it was a hip new calculation in games at the time, regardless of whether the game actually benefitted from it.

I can't stand the overuse of "boxing ring" fights where you get closed into a small room while monsters tele in. Locking a door behind the player is only cool if it's a surprise, if you use it so much that it becomes expected, it loses the magic for me.

Edited by magicsofa