Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

3 hours ago, Ghouljokes said:

virginbfg.jpg

Looks like whoever made this doesn't actually know how to play Doom (or maybe they are just joking). The pistol is the real virgin weapon here because almost anything it can do, the chaingun can do better (even when it comes to sniping enemies from a distance).

Also half the tracers don't hit? Come on now. Get near to enemies and you can do insane damage to them in a more ammo efficient manner compared to the plasma gun.

8 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Looks like whoever made this doesn't actually know how to play Doom (or maybe they are just joking). The pistol is the real virgin weapon here because almost anything it can do, the chaingun can do better (even when it comes to sniping enemies from a distance).

Also half the tracers don't hit? Come on now. Get near to enemies and you can do insane damage to them in a more ammo efficient manner compared to the plasma gun.

you need to be right up next to a demon to do good bfg damage but the pistol can deal a walloping 12.5-37.5 damage per second from ANY distance (provided none of the shots miss). Clearly, the pistol is the superior option. I'd go as far as to say it's more broken than the ssg

Yeah. And Eviternity and Valiant make a habit of downgrading the pistol to try and make the SSG valuable, which is lame imo.

1 hour ago, JezChrist said:

Yeah. And Eviternity and Valiant make a habit of downgrading the pistol to try and make the SSG valuable, which is lame imo.

Eviternity actively made the Pistol better with an increased Fire Rate and 100% accuracy so this is just plain wrong

The Plasma rifle is the worst weapon in the game. Even with the BFG, there is some chance of being able to wipe out a load of enemies, with the plasma rifle it takes about 60 cells to kill two enemies. 

1 minute ago, lognifii said:

The Plasma rifle is the worst weapon in the game. Even with the BFG, there is some chance of being able to wipe out a load of enemies, with the plasma rifle it takes about 60 cells to kill two enemies. 

I love using the plasma rifle to mow shit down when the threat's too immediate to allow for a BFG blast. map13 in Going Down in particular is great for this, just carving your way through these crowded stairways.

unless this is also a joke post I'm pretty sure the plasma gun does vastly superior dps to the chaingun? Which is really useful in situations where you just gotta carve a path Now.

EDIT: Just checked the math and yeah it does an average of like 15750 damage per minute compared to the chaingun's 5250, so it's like a 3x damage increase.

Plasma gun is far supeiror to the chaingun in most situation including sniping BUT it cost way more ammo, for a type that can be hard to find, it drains on your BFG also, and it blinds you most of the time too. It is easier to spray though.

In vanilla deatchmatch chaingun is king. You can somewhat dodge plasma, not the almight chaingun.

55 minutes ago, JezChrist said:

Plasma gun is far supeiror to the chaingun in most situation including sniping BUT it cost way more ammo, for a type that can be hard to find, it drains on your BFG also, and it blinds you most of the time too. It is easier to spray though.

Not really, if the enemies are on elevated platforms shooting them may be crap due to the plasma likely getting hung up on the walls/ground, which does not happen with the Chaingun. But this is all highly circumstantial and depends on the situation a lot, sometimes the Plasma may be the more practical choice.

2 hours ago, Ghouljokes said:

you need to be right up next to a demon to do good bfg damage but the pistol can deal a walloping 12.5-37.5 damage per second from ANY distance (provided none of the shots miss).

The BFG is a skill-based weapon, however, so what you see there was intended and by design.

You're not supposed to blast it nonstop at enemies across great distances and awkward angles. It's also the only weapon which can two-shoot Cybers if you time and align your shots properly.

Edited by seed

Romero didn't use horseshoe shapes in his maps, he used magnet shapes >:(

I prefer the chaingun to the plasma rifle, for the following reasons:

1. Chaingun can shoot enemies through narrow openings. Plasma projectiles prefer to get stuck on obstacles.
  2. Chaingun attacks are instant. Plasma projectiles are slow so unless you're point-blank range, a lot of them will miss due to the enemy moving slightly to the left or to the right.
  3. Chaingun shares its ammo with the pistol, which you pretty much never uses except perhaps to shoot switches. Plasma rifle shares its ammo with the BFG, and it makes you feel stupid when you'd want to shoot the BFG but due to using the plasma rifle you've only got 39 cells.
  4. Chaingun respects your ears. Plasma rifle wants them to suffer.
  5. Chaingun respects your situational awareness. Plasma projectiles take up 90% of the viewscreen to make sure you don't see what happens where you're shooting, so that you don't see how the projectiles are missing their mark because they preferred to collide with some bit of geometry.

31 minutes ago, Gez said:

Chaingun respects your ears. Plasma rifle wants them to suffer.

Can't agree to this enough. XD

38 minutes ago, SOSU said:

Romero didn't use horseshoe shapes in his maps, he used magnet shapes >:(

Oh lawdy, now this is a hot take!

5 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

It is quite obviously meant as a joke.

48 minutes ago, EvilNed said:

It is quite obviously meant as a joke.

Yeah it took me a while but I eventually figured it out.

On 1/15/2021 at 10:15 PM, Sigh Man Vanz said:

Invisibility sphere is a garbo power-up. If anything it actually makes the game harder for me because it messes up the flow of anticipating/dodging incoming attacks when the enemy is just throwing stuff around randomly. I suspect its main purpose was for use in deathmatches, but I never do multiplayer.

Invisibility spheres makes hitscan have a higher miss rate, but then makes projectiles totally wonky. 

Thus wouldn't it be less of an issue with the power-up itself, and more with mappers not using invisibility sphere properly? IE: if there are a ton of hitscan, put an invis sphere nearby. Else, don't.

That's my controversial opinion: Invisibility sphere isn't bad. It's only being used badly & in the wrong scenarios.

Edited by Rytrik

18 minutes ago, Rytrik said:

That's my controversial opinion: Invisibility sphere isn't bad. It's only being used badly & in the wrong scenarios.

"There are no bad ideas, only bad executions."

3 hours ago, Rytrik said:

I wouldn't call that a contreversial opinion in the sense that it's the fundamental of mapping : knowing what things are for.

I totally second you on this comment.

Invisibility is a greta power up in SP, allowing less skilled player (or people that don't want to play a janky cover shooyer) to manage mass hitscan attack and ambush.

I see many people (probably not mappers) that forget that a po er up is not necesseraliy to be picked up.

Sometimes it is just there as an hint : "you can pick this for sure... but the real bonus is what it means".

If you trust the mapper enough, finding an invisibilty secret means that in less than 1 minutes, so probably in a 30 time spand distance around this powerup  tjere will be a shit load of hitcanner.

There is an invulnerability in evidence (but still hardly accessible) in this area... it means that this place **will** get crowder by large amouny of heavies, even an archvile.

Its like leaving a weapon the player already has in a another room... its not for the ammo... it may be for pistolstarters but in any case : its a hint that you'll need it... its way of preparing the player....

If the game leaves a RL... you aint going to encounter 20 PE.... the mapper is giving away clues.

8 hours ago, seed said:

The BFG is a skill-based weapon, however, so what you see there was intended and by design.

You're not supposed to blast it nonstop at enemies across great distances and awkward angles. It's also the only weapon which can two-shoot Cybers if you time and align your shots properly.

Imagine needing your user to be a doom master in order to be a good weapon lol
Unlike the pistol which has the same effectiveness no matter the skill level ::)

The pistol is really OP... I mean... I can one shot the baron in the red room of refinery with it.

Doomguy probably has the colt Tom Hanks has in Saving Private Ryan.

1 hour ago, Ghouljokes said:

Imagine needing your user to be a doom master in order to be a good weapon lol
Unlike the pistol which has the same effectiveness no matter the skill level ::)

You don't even need to be that, and this is coming from your average Doomer - what, you thought I'm a pro? That would be today's joke, me being good at games :p .

All it takes is a bit of know-how and the rest works out from itself. This makes the weapon a lot more dynamic as the results can be completely different depending on who is using it, than a boring weapon which always perform the same no matter what.

8 hours ago, DRMman said:

The rocket launcher duel with the cyberdemon in ep2 is boring.

Try killing it with your fist if pistolstarting.... you'll discover either a new definition pf boredom, or a new definition of frustration.

American MacGee made the best maps in Doom2.. especially the focus, which is the only map were I felt I was on earth.