Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

16 hours ago, Theperson said:

Ok an actual controversial opinon:

BFG Divison is overrated.

You. Take. That. Back.

20 hours ago, Theperson said:

Doom is a good game

Real spicy take right here.

21 minutes ago, roadworx said:

they're right tho

As an audio producer, (a legit actual one, with degrees and everything, not just 'has garage band, will travel, not that this is important, )there are some parts of the song that are so compressed as to sound almost thin and 'stringy' and I don't really love the drum sounds in particular. And I totally get that not everyone is gonna love it.

But it is still a pretty amazing track creatively and sonically. I just took the opportunity to quote theperson for a bit of light humor/banter. Or something. :)

3 minutes ago, DRM-MAN said:

Speedrunning is pointless.

I mean, playing a game normally is also pointless, and both are hobbies about playing a game, of course one is more hardcore than the other but still to somebody strange to it, it's the same thing

10 minutes ago, 1Destro3456 said:

I mean, playing a game normally is also pointless, and both are hobbies about playing a game, of course one is more hardcore than the other but still to somebody strange to it, it's the same thing

Well I guess you're right, but then again, we all like to invest our time into things that many would consider pointless, of course you just can't stop playing doom after several years; both are waste of time, but we all still partake in the activity of playing video games, even into adulthood, a time when we don't have much time left.

doom 3 isnt scary and i dont see it having a horror atmosphere like in doom 64 or quake

Time is just an abstract concept created by humans to measure their inevitable rate of decay.

3 minutes ago, Gokuma said:

Time is just an abstract concept created by humans to measure their inevitable rate of decay.

not really time is a real thing that can be affected by stuff like gravity (like the event horizon of a black hole for example) and other stuff not only that but time is theorized as being the reason why gravity is a thing in the first place

20 minutes ago, Gokuma said:

edgy

and also factually incorrect

Just now, ApprihensivSoul said:

MAP14 is the weakest map in Doom 2's second episode, followed by MAP17.

why ):

I like all the GL features maxed: texture filtering, resizing, dynamic lights, etc. but I prefer vanilla gameplay. I don't mind smooth animations and what not but I *hate* that high quality sound effects set people use. It takes all the "umph" away from the sounds.

2 minutes ago, DOEL said:

I like all the GL features maxed: texture filtering, resizing, dynamic lights, etc. but I prefer vanilla gameplay. I don't mind smooth animations and what not but I *hate* that high quality sound effects set people use. It takes all the "umph" away from the sounds.

i really like the smooth animations but im more into vanilla visuals i just think smooth doom is an improvement over it

though i dont like filtering very much on weapons it can look good since the weapons are already low resolution digitized pictures that are on your face all the time

i do like mip map though

@omalefico32x

yea I tried to use the vanilla smooth weapons you sent me but I'd get an error when I tried to join my server while running it. I might know how to fix that though on my end now

25 minutes ago, DOEL said:

@omalefico32x

yea I tried to use the vanilla smooth weapons you sent me but I'd get an error when I tried to join my server while running it. I might know how to fix that though on my end now

oh that sucks i wonder why you see an error i joined a lot of server with it without a problem

28 minutes ago, MajorRawne said:

My girlfriend thinks Doom looks like Minecraft.

Maybe Minecraft looks like Doom, right?

nah, its because the fat pixels.

There has been a surge of maps with obscene linedef counts that can't maintain a stable 60 FPS in their target port. Doom has a lo-fi  aesthetic. There is a negligible visual difference between a small column made out of 8 lines compared to one made out of 32. I really do wish those mappers made performance optimization a high priority before going crazy with the stair builder. Also, try the Deus Vult method and split your linedef limit map into several smaller maps.

I have the ultimate controversial opinion about DOOM to end all controversial opinions of DOOM:

DOOM is stinky mega doo doo game.

Plus a more legit one: If you ask me, I think DOOM II is a better introduction for new players than Ultimate DOOM b/c of the fan made wads mostly being made for DOOM II in mind. Plus, D2's first 11 maps perfectly wrap up all the player needs to know about the enemies and the weapons and how they function.

54 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

There has been a surge of maps with obscene linedef counts that can't maintain a stable 60 FPS in their target port. Doom has a lo-fi  aesthetic. There is a negligible visual difference between a small column made out of 8 lines compared to one made out of 32. I really do wish those mappers made performance optimization a high priority before going crazy with the stair builder. Also, try the Deus Vult method and split your linedef limit map into several smaller maps.

there's a solution to this, it's called stop using gzdoom for everything and use PRBoom-Plus for limit-removing or boom-compatible maps

On 5/10/2021 at 7:06 AM, Lol 6 said:

I like the flashlight mechanic of Doom 3, for me it's more realistic, and it's a good weapon against zombies (if you want to save ammo)

I love the flashlight. It just makes things more tense.

3 hours ago, roadworx said:

edgy

and also factually incorrect

why ):

It felt out of place in the City themed episode, and I felt like I was being jerked around. Additionally, exploration is a huge part of what made Doom fun for me as a kid, and the city maps provided replay-ability in this aspect, regardless of their admitted issue with navigability or encounter design. (Though Suburbs and Factory have some really good encounter design, at least.) 
Inmost Dens was easy to solve, never provided me with a learning curve as a kid, and felt forgettable and trite. I've grown to appreciate it's artistic quality later, especially with encounters, but it's never gotten past the "Least replayed map in Doom 2" list for me. Mostly because everything it does well, Plutonia does better, and not just with Neurosphere. 

Tenments I had an issue with the abstract room design, which felt clumsy and uncomfortable to navigate. It's probably John Romero's most Sandy Peterson-esque map, and it was an early installment in his love affair with narrow ledges and a lack of dodging space that would become mainstream in Sigil. I guess I could sum it up as "All of the issues Sigil has with none of the aesthetic or experience to justify it."

EDIT:
I should add, I am aware that Plutonia MAP29 does everything the city episode does better than Doom 2. My point is Plutonia only gave the city maps one map, where as Inmost Dens influenced so much of Plutonia the whole megawad feels like an exploration of every plausible take on it's design philosphy.