Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

3 hours ago, battlescroll said:

the super shot gun has a main trait that every other gun had before it came out and that one trait is that it kills groups of low tear monsters fast but the rocket launcher could already do that and plus the chaingun and plasma gun can do that to and even faster. 

the super shotgun isn't exclusively for killing low-tier enemies - the main purpose is to act as a close-range weapon against mid-tier enemies. using the rocket launcher in close range is obviously a terrible idea, plasma ammo isn't exactly the most common, and the chaingun doesn't work well against most mid-tier enemies. not only that, but having the ssg ready in situation where pinkies or imps are ambushing you in tight quarters is quite useful

1 minute ago, Lol 6 said:

Yeah, I've heard it's the best. I hadn't played it though.

oh i was just making a joke i never played it either though my favorite wolfenstein game is new colossus because of the story

2 hours ago, Arrowhead said:

'METAL' is the single most versatile texture in all of Doomdom.

fireblu

and when fireblu doesnt work:

fireblu2

There is nothing fun about a giant slaughter map. Well placed enemies and proper arenas are way more fun to play. Tight ammo amounts are also rarely done right, and it normally becomes more tedious than fun.

11 hours ago, battlescroll said:

the super shot gun has a main trait that every other gun had before it came out and that one trait is that it kills groups of low tear monsters fast but the rocket launcher could already do that and plus the chaingun and plasma gun can do that to and even faster. 

If you could just plasma or BFG everything the game would be way too easy, or always rely on dumping an absolute ton of monsters on the player to invoke challenge. SSG is really well-balanced for a lot of scenarios, especially ones that don't revolve around having several dozens of monsters surround you at once. The Rocket Launcher wouldn't easily replace the SSG either, because its splash damage can work against you in close-quarters combat.  I think that the mindset that "this gun kills a large quantities of monsters better, therefore every other gun sucks" is just a flawed over-analysis.

I'm not really into custom levels for Doom/Doom II. Sometimes I'll download one and not finish it. I just play through a few levels, idclev and stuff. But I like playing them because I want to play new levels. But I feel like hey I don't need to play this whole thing, it's just something some guy made. I just like playing Doom.

I don't have a problem with most Doom 2 levels, Sandy's gimmicks included. Barrels o' Fun are fun. Downtown is passable. The Factory is a tad boring but I'm way more bored completing The Pit or Refueling Base. The Chasm is a winner, it puts you someplace hellish and nails the atmosphere. Nirvana plays just like another filler, yes it doesn't make much sense and it's raw in places but it doesn't stand out as the biggest turd ever.

The Citadel, now we're talking disappointment. Wow, a cool castle level? Not really once you enter. Such a great central yard, surely there's gonna be a major, hard, memorable battle? Not happening. What a downer.

Best way to play Doom Eternal is on PC

Ever since the game launched I played on console but two weeks ago I got it on my PC since I got a pc that is way better than what I had.
I feel like im playing 100% better on PC and I now feel like console resricted me.

Also mods are awesome, im still waiting for an Orange Classic Doomguy mod.

On 5/16/2021 at 7:30 AM, mb34823 said:

I'm not really into custom levels for Doom/Doom II. Sometimes I'll download one and not finish it. I just play through a few levels, idclev and stuff. But I like playing them because I want to play new levels. But I feel like hey I don't need to play this whole thing, it's just something some guy made. I just like playing Doom.

Guess what, Doom is also just something some guy(s) made.

Maps that have any form of complex platforming are agonizing for me, and I'd rather not play them. And this is coming from someone who's a huge fan of platforming games in general. It just doesn't work in doom, and it never has.

every doom game is too flawed to be considered the "best" out of the series. if you are ranking them you are going to reach a point where the last two games are equal to each other because no doom game can be considered the best.

51 minutes ago, IncognitoMode said:

every doom game is too flawed to be considered the "best" out of the series. if you are ranking them you are going to reach a point where the last two games are equal to each other because no doom game can be considered the best.

untrue, 32x doom is objectively the best in the series

2 hours ago, roadworx said:

untrue, 32x doom is objectively the best in the series

resolution so low you can count the individual pixels

5 minutes ago, IncognitoMode said:

resolution so low you can count the individual pixels

actually i think the resolution is about the same as the original dos version, so that's one thing about it that doesn't completely suck :p

just played habitat saveless and i have to say to everyone who says it is bad or the worse ARE YOU OUT OF OUR MIND? its not a masterpiece but its a lot better then a lot of the levels from doom 2 you know what? tnt is a lot better then doom 2 and i dont know why people say its bad...

2 hours ago, omalefico32x said:

just played habitat saveless and i have to say to everyone who says it is bad or the worse ARE YOU OUT OF OUR MIND? its not a masterpiece but its a lot better then a lot of the levels from doom 2 you know what? 

Habitat is a strange beast. Whenever I play it I always imagine that it was unfinished rather than a straight up bad map.

It's just things like those tunnels going on forever with no real point to them, they're just there and nobody knows why. Not even the most venerable of Doom scholars can decipher it and some of them have pondered on that mystery for almost 3 decades now (sarcasm, but you get the idea). Then you have other stuff like keys behind invisible walls for no apparent reason.

But no, I don't think it's a bad map. Just weird and unfinished in my opinion.

2 hours ago, omalefico32x said:

tnt is a lot better then doom 2 and i dont know why people say its bad...

TNT is bad? That's the first I'm hearing of it. 

I mean sure it's not to everyone's taste but then what is? TNT is generally considered a good Pwad, at least I always enjoyed going through it. It has some pretty fun maps in it. TNT being better than Doom 2 on the other hand... that will definitely be considered a controversial opinion to some people.

47 minutes ago, Final Verdict said:

TNT is bad? That's the first I'm hearing of it. 

I mean sure it's not to everyone's taste but then what is? TNT is generally considered a good Pwad, at least I always enjoyed going through it. It has some pretty fun maps in it. TNT being better than Doom 2 on the other hand... that will definitely be considered a controversial opinion to some people.

TNT does divide opinion a lot. It’s usually contrasted with Plutonia, which has a more consistent style, tight but intense levels and all-around appealing if fairly samey architecture. TNT is a lot more varied in its visual styles and layouts, often tending towards larger levels and environments that evoke a specific sort of place interspersed with more weird and abstract environments. TNT is more experimental and also made by a larger team of people which both mean that it’s going to have a much more hit-or-miss feel than Plutonia does. The original TNT textures are also a more mixed bag than any of the other IWADs have which adds to that kind of inconsistent impression. Oddly enough I’ve never really compared TNT to Doom II directly, Doom II by way of Sandy Petersen also has a lot of funky experimentation in design, and some clear ups and downs, although fewer environmental embellishments like computer terminals and truck trailers and such than TNT does. I personally like TNT, by and large, but since its lows are generally lower than Doom II’s and some maps (MAP21 and MAP27 for instance) are real love/hate affairs, I can see why it divides opinion so much.

8 hours ago, StupidBunny said:

TNT does divide opinion a lot. It’s usually contrasted with Plutonia, which has a more consistent style, tight but intense levels and all-around appealing if fairly samey architecture. TNT is a lot more varied in its visual styles and layouts, often tending towards larger levels and environments that evoke a specific sort of place interspersed with more weird and abstract environments. TNT is more experimental and also made by a larger team of people which both mean that it’s going to have a much more hit-or-miss feel than Plutonia does. The original TNT textures are also a more mixed bag than any of the other IWADs have which adds to that kind of inconsistent impression. Oddly enough I’ve never really compared TNT to Doom II directly, Doom II by way of Sandy Petersen also has a lot of funky experimentation in design, and some clear ups and downs, although fewer environmental embellishments like computer terminals and truck trailers and such than TNT does. I personally like TNT, by and large, but since its lows are generally lower than Doom II’s and some maps (MAP21 and MAP27 for instance) are real love/hate affairs, I can see why it divides opinion so much.

Yes, I can't really disagree with that. I meant judged by itself I can honestly say I never thought the general consensus was that TNT was bad. 

As you said TNT had a larger team so the maps were more inconsistent from one to the next, where as Plutonia had a more focused and consistent approach. That's often where it gets compared along with difficulty et-cetera. Naturally it won't match up there because that was never TNT's strength.

I'm just chiming in here with my opinion on it, which is more or less the same as yours. It's a fairly accurate assessment when we're comparing TNT vs Plutonia as is usually the case. I just mean judged on it's own merits it's no where near the realm of bad in my opinion. If the general consensus is that TNT is just bad, regardless of comparisons, then it's news to me after all these years and I was completely unaware of that.

While it does have a few maps that are suspect it largely succeeds in being a fun little adventure.

doom is boring after play a while (is that controversial? Nah, community content is what keeps the game going. )

8 minutes ago, PSXDoomer said:

I'm probably one of the few people here that prefers TNT over Plutonia.

I'm with you. I prefer TNT.