Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

3 minutes ago, Sambo J said:

Just the original post topic :)

It just feels like the middle Doom 2 levels weren't polished as well as the others, most likely due to the time restrictions they were working under.

Ah ok, just wanted to know what exactly the work-horse was, maybe i misunderstood

1 minute ago, Mayomancer said:

Ah ok, just wanted to know what exactly the work-horse was, maybe i misunderstood

Oh, Sandy Peterson was the work-horse for Doom 2. It feels like he had too much work for a single person on that project.

I do not really care for Doom or Doom II. I've beaten them like... Two or three times maybe but that's enough for me. There's so much community content out there that's better then the stock games that I don't really want to replay them.

1 hour ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

After reading this page on the Doom Wiki:

If ZDaemon, DelphiDoom, and fucking Doomsday can score an "Average" Vanilla Doom accuracy rating (as opposed to "Low"), so can GZDoom, particularly on Doom (Strict) compatibility.

Obviously "High" and "Very High" should be reserved for ports that can play 1.9 demos at least, but come on now. The only standout issues are ghost monsters (Graf plz) or obscure bug exploits like Linguortals and Mikoportals, and even some of the "High" or "Very High" ports don't have the latter.

that's not even an opinion, it's a fact. gzdoom is fully capable of having higher accuracy but graf seems vehemently opposed to it

To my knowledge, Graf only seems "vehemently opposed" to the aforementioned exploits and the ghost monsters bug is the only one I think is seriously in need of a general GZDoom compatflag. I find his stubbornness on that particular issue very puzzling.

But other than that, vanilla or Boom quirks are covered pretty well in GZDoom's compatflags IMO. Most of the other accuracy fixes after that point would probably only be relevant for the sake of demo compatibility, which of course is out of the question for GZDoom.

Edited by TheMightyHeracross

the diablo series is just doom in a fantasy setting with a story. mario kart wii and doom have a lot more in common than people think. map33 betray is my favorite official doom map.

11 hours ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

I think it's just a regional thing. Americans say "Zee" and Europeans say "Zed"

Obviously the ideal solution is to just pronounce it as a single syllable. Gzdoom.

Ghost monsters are retarded.

I have fought them only once ever in 20 years of playing PC Doom. It was the other day on HR map 26, Afterlife. I didn't think GZDoom supported ghosts, so to see a swarm of transparent Imps walking through walls was a shock. For some reason none appeared during my only successful playthrough of the map. That map was insanely hard enough without glitch-related bullshit.

I think you can defeat ghost monsters by saving and loading to fix the map. Also yes they are super annoying. Stop trying to mess with the stupid memory, it is already a mess as is! If you want ghost shit then use dehacked and decorate to re-create them without intentionally triggering memory errors in your map.

1 hour ago, Pegg said:

I think you can defeat ghost monsters by saving and loading to fix the map. Also yes they are super annoying. Stop trying to mess with the stupid memory, it is already a mess as is! If you want ghost shit then use dehacked and decorate to re-create them without intentionally triggering memory errors in your map.

you can also kill the with infighting and explosives if im not mistaken

i dunno i like them its part of what makes doom well doom to me and its the sole reason why i dont use gzdoom and i dont recommend it to anyone

2 hours ago, omalefico32x said:

you can also kill the with infighting and explosives if im not mistaken

i dunno i like them its part of what makes doom well doom to me and its the sole reason why i dont use gzdoom and i dont recommend it to anyone

Actually my whole thought was about the memory overflow ghosts which is extremely rare. Normal ghosts are much less annoying than them but still only exist because of an oversight, not an intentional feature. 

1 hour ago, Pegg said:

Actually my whole thought was about the memory overflow ghosts which is extremely rare. Normal ghosts are much less annoying than them but still only exist because of an oversight, not an intentional feature. 

Well that's a pretty big difference. The previous posts were obviously talking about Arch Vile ghosts. I don't think anyone wants to use the overflow bug on purpose or wants it added back in GZDoom lol

4 hours ago, omalefico32x said:

I don't think anyone who feels this way is in GZDoom's target audience anyway. This is why it's great that there's a bunch of source ports with different goals (and you're allowed to install more than one).

11 minutes ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

you're allowed to install more than one

most controversial opinion yet

9 hours ago, Yeethawed64dot7z said:

mario kart wii and doom have a lot more in common than people think.

this is a big sentence to drop without explanation

1 hour ago, Thfpjct said:

The Archvile is the hotest demon

I thought that.lost souls were technically the hottest cuz of their flames ;)

3 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

I thought that.lost souls were technically the hottest cuz of their flames ;)

Lost souls deal between 3 to 24 damage, arch-viles up to 90. That makes them the hottest by far.

9 minutes ago, Scypek2 said:

Lost souls deal between 3 to 24 damage, arch-viles up to 90. That makes them the hottest by far.

Meant by their appearance. If damage talking, then yes, archies win.

Well, lost souls obviously have an advantage in that their flames are continuous, but when the Arch-Vile is attacking their flame seems to have as much volume as 2+ Lost Souls stacked on top of each other (in a trenchcoat, presumably), and it's also a pure column of flame rather than a nimbus of fire around a skull.  The Soul probably still edges out the Vile in terms of flame over time, but it's closer than it might seem at first.

E3M5 Unholy Cathedral is way better than E3M7 Limbo (maybe not that controversial... still wanted to put to say this somewhere)

49 minutes ago, Mayomancer said:

E3M5 Unholy Cathedral is way better than E3M7 Limbo (maybe not that controversial... still wanted to put to say this somewhere)

Limbo only beats Unholy Cathedral in how many more people vote it for worst map in the Iwad :P.

A lot of maps from the 2000s have aged much worse than maps from the 1990s. 

Indeed, I prefer today to play maps with weird but varied layouts rather than straight overdetailed corridors withde generic monster placement.

I'm thinking of wads like Hedrox or old agent_spork or tormentor wads.

2 minutes ago, lubba127 said:

doom is good

yeah this opinion is so controversial...

romero's head is the best mob

7 hours ago, Pegg said:

Limbo only beats Unholy Cathedral in how many more people vote it for worst map in the Iwad :P.

i remember how fascinated i was by those hellish looks when i first played doom. especially the soul wall... now as i see them, they're both rather cobbled together, with a convoluted progression. the cathedral has the more imposing looks, limbo would be better though if it didn't have those awful cramped corridors with demons stuck in them...

vs 

(at least, tatsurd's skills make them both suck less ;) )

I don't understand the Unholy Cathedral hate. Once you figure out that the glowing teleporter stands out from the other three, it's not hard at all to figure the map out. And it has one of the coolest aesthetics in the original Doom.

Bobby Prince's best work was NOT  on Doom or Doom 2, but instead, DemonStar.

That's not to say that I think the Doom/2 soundtracks are bad, I think they're phenomenal! I just think that DemonStar, (from Bobby's late career) is his most varied and best set of songs he's made. Very fast tempo stuff.

I'm surprised I don't see the songs used more in pwads, considering how well some of them would work for like space-y techbases...