Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

I can compare the pros and cons with Doom with any other pros and cons of any other videogame I play, and I must say that Doom trumps over most of these games because the mechanics are really smooth, and whatever their cons are like when you have issue with jumping on enemies, the auto target sometimes works against you, or the time you can't mouselook above or below, it's much smoother than most games like Megaman or a beat'em up or a lot of game that is a lot frustrating, even the frustrating moments in Doom can be better than the frustrating moments in other videogames..

The most satisfying weapon in doom 1 is the rocket launcher. It fires so fast relative to the amount of damage its shots do. The few times I was able to really let loose with it during my playthrough literally put a smile on my face. The BFG is impactful and powerful in its own right, but unleashing a hellfire of rockets has a visceral feeling that the BFG lacks imo.

Second is the shotgun. Walking into a room and surgically and methodically dispatching every demon with buckshot is satisfying, especially if you manage to take no damage.

I love pop-up monster ambushes. From what I've observed, they seem to mostly be a relic of early 2010s maps that most people kind of feel distaste towards, but I've always been rather keen on how jarring it is for a monster to all of a sudden instantly appear in front of you while you're exploring. 

On that subject, insta pop-ups can sometimes be better than slower pop-ups. If the trigger line to a slower floor-raise trap and the group of monsters that rise are close enough, your natural forward movement might carry you into the monsters as they are still mostly below the ground. Then you get melee attacked by something's head. So it makes sense to use an insta pop-up if the lines and monsters can't be separated further.

I also liked the insta pop-ups in Speed of Doom. They had a certain regularity to them that made feel more like the world's surreal visual logic -- and instead of being "predictable traps," I saw them as ways of managing a big open space without everything being active and infight-prone at once. 

Also pop-ups get better when you know they are coming because then you can do things like

I also like insta-pop monsters. The alternative is slow-rising monsters, which IMO are appropriate for a "liquid" floor and not for a "solid" one. Monsters rising slowly from metal, concrete or anything that isn't liquid looks silly. And I plead guilty, I used to do that. By contrast, insta-pop monsters seem to teleport right into your face, and in that regard, I view insta-pops as the equivalent of teleporting monsters, but without the theatrics.

Controversial opinion: deathmatch is a profoundly boring activity. You and x number of other people run around a level with or without demons, seeing who can get the most kills. And? It's a computer game. I've never been bitten by the multiplayer bug, least of all in DOOM, but really any FPS. In a large scale fantasy MMO, I can see the argument for it. But the drama and hissy fits it causes. I guess I'm just a single player type.

Visible-to-the-player insta-pops* can sometimes be better than visible-to-the-player slow pop-ups, in the same sense that five punches to the face can be better than three to the balls.

But maybe just don't punch people and do something actually good, instead :)

* insta-pops the player doesn't see are A-OK and a very useful tool.

I've been replaying Valiant, and in the beginning of some maps (like map16 or map21) I caught myself thinking that I didn't remember the map at all and had no clue what would follow. Which got me excited; it was like playing a totally new Valiant map.

So my opinion is this: "memorable" levels aren't always a good thing, and "forgettable" levels aren't always a bad one.

Some controversial or not opinions of mine :

- There are not enough mapping projects on Ultimate Doom.

- OTEX is an overused texture pack.

- I want to see more community projects using only stock textures.

- I like DM maps with monsters inside.

- "Random file" on idgames is the most exciting way to play wads.

- OTEX is an overused texture pack.

I once worried this might happen, but this year has proven that it is really difficult for anything to be overused. The absolute count of releases is so high these days. There are probably more non-OTEX wads this year than total wads in any other year in history. By proportion too, OTEX use is not actually unusually high. It is also a very varied texture set, and five OTEX wads can easily not look much like each other. 

I don't think a repeat of early-mid 2010s CC4-tex is very possible. The conditions are a lot different.

There are some texture packs I think of as underused, but that is different. 

without judgment, the current "let's soundtrack a notable old wad" midi movement is a tactic to go viral and it depresses me that people won't just listen to community music without it

Back in the day, I wished that Doom could be just a tiny bit more optimized than it already was, and always believed it possible. Turned out, it was, even without resorting to so-called "potato modes".

5 hours ago, yakfak said:

without judgment, the current "let's soundtrack a notable old wad" midi movement is a tactic to go viral and it depresses me that people won't just listen to community music without it

I swear on my soul that .MIDtwid wasn't this, at least not by design! I just thought it was a fun "spiritual sequel" to PlutMidi, honest :'(

On 8/24/2021 at 9:37 AM, Sergeant G said:

Controversial opinion: deathmatch is a profoundly boring activity. You and x number of other people run around a level with or without demons, seeing who can get the most kills. And? It's a computer game.

To be fair, this exact same line of thinking could be flipped around as "single player is a profoundly boring activity, you run around a level shooting the same old demons, their strategies never grow or change, you're not playing with anyone else so you may as well be playing any other game or doing any other enjoyable activity.. You just shoot unthinking enemies and run to the exit.. and?"

(not trying to change your mind, lol. Just pointing out that it could go either way!)

9 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I swear on my soul that .MIDtwid wasn't this, at least not by design! I just thought it was a fun "spiritual sequel" to PlutMidi, honest :'(

don't worry! im not attacking the idea, just teh necessity

22 hours ago, rd. said:

I once worried this might happen, but this year has proven that it is really difficult for anything to be overused. The absolute count of releases is so high these days. There are probably more non-OTEX wads this year than total wads in any other year in history. By proportion too, OTEX use is not actually unusually high. It is also a very varied texture set, and five OTEX wads can easily not look much like each other. 

I don't think a repeat of early-mid 2010s CC4-tex is very possible. The conditions are a lot different.

There are some texture packs I think of as underused, but that is different. 

I agree (though I don't even think CC4 is overused, but that's a different discussion).

If one draws some sort of line of "okay, this is how much a texture pack tends to be used, anything much over that is overused relative to others" then I can see OTEX falling into that category.  I don't know how many people would find that a remotely useful definition but it's a definition OTEX meets.

If, on the other hand, "overused" means "used to the point of being unpalatable/looking bad" then applying that to OTEX just makes it impossible for me to take someone seriously.

OTEX is used so much because it's awesome and varied and not at all stale at this point, or probably anytime in this decade to boot.

Incidentally, calling a < 3 year old texture pack overused and in the same breath wishing for more vanilla stock texture maps is particularly risible.  There's nothing objectively wrong with preferring the look of stock textures, of course, but unless one was put into cryogenic suspension in 1992 and revived in 2019, it is literally impossible to have seen stock textures be less used than OTEX.

Here are my opinions:

I think the Arch-Vile is overused in a lot of wads. I think there are more ways to design a fight that isn't "Haha have 20 Arch-Viles and 10 Cyberdemons because frunk you".

I also think the concept of slaughtermaps (maps where you kill a comical amount of enemies with a full inventory of weapons) is dumb. If I want to kill a bunch of enemies with a BFG while they are already ripping themselves apart just for the pleasure of seeing them die I might as well play Nuts.wad.

To add an opinion of my own (because "OTEX good" doesn't add much new knowledge to the universe):

The sheer number of maps (or textures, or enemy replacements...) in a project doesn't mean much.

Edited by jerrysheppy

5 hours ago, Doomkid said:

To be fair, this exact same line of thinking could be flipped around as "single player is a profoundly boring activity, you run around a level shooting the same old demons, their strategies never grow or change, you're not playing with anyone else so you may as well be playing any other game or doing any other enjoyable activity.. You just shoot unthinking enemies and run to the exit.. and?"

(not trying to change your mind, lol. Just pointing out that it could go either way!)

Computer games are profoundly boring, generally speaking. You sit at a desk and press keys and click a mouse. In a reality where there's sex, drugs, real weapons and the chance to successfully pull off embezzlement or serial murder (admittedly, both of those aren't so easy anymore) computer games seem rather underwhelming by comparison. 

There, that might be a more controversial opinion especially on a gaming forum. I readily concede the (potentially) problematical aspect of criminal intent. But I will not hear any argument that playing computer games is actually any safer than any of the above. Something happened, and we had to put a 32 year old friend into the ground because of his compulsive gaming. It can become toxic too. 

I don't know who created the Everquest versus Sailor Moon mod for Skyrim, but damn them! The human cost!

Edited by Sergeant G

1 hour ago, Pegg said:

Yes playing games is much more dangerous than murder.

It is. Cause games, more often than not are simulated murder. Look, the real thing is more complicated. Playing games can serve to desensitize, to implant and feed the wrong appetites, but when you're done, you just turn it off. In the real world, if you start some games, they can't be stopped, at least not as easily. Games impart a false sense of security and ease.

3 hours ago, Sergeant G said:

Something happened, and we had to put a 32 year old friend into the ground because of his compulsive gaming.

Who's "we"?

21 hours ago, N1ck said:

Sergeant D's nuts.

They are magnificent, aren't they? I call them Phobos and Deimos as they are indeed the reincarnated gods of fear and terror and panic!

On 9/1/2021 at 8:38 PM, jerrysheppy said:

OTEX is used so much because it's awesome and varied and not at all stale at this point, or probably anytime in this decade to boot.

On 9/1/2021 at 8:38 PM, jerrysheppy said:

OTEX is awesome. It fits the style of the original textures and improves upon them. I was amazed how well it made outdoor maps in eviternity look because rock textures really appear to have depth, even when applied onto flatter geometry. It's one of Doom's best graphics assets, ever. 

P. S. Damn quoting someone on a phone, sorry 😜