Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

3 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

This is not even a "controversial opinion" this is just outright wrong.

sounds pretty controversial to me ;)

oh, and who says the marine in all the promotional art is definitely meant to be the marine you play as in singleplayer? I mean yeah, of course it's very likely but it's not necessarily the case.

I know most of the ones in this thread are jokes, but I legitimately have a take: I actually like most of TNT, even hitscan hell (aka Stronghold) still gives me something fun to do for a few minutes at a time.

Of course there are sucky maps, but some of the maps people dislike a lot I tend to enjoy more for some reason, even Habitat to an extent (although I enjoy it most because of just how damn clumsy it is, more than it being a fun map to go through).

36 minutes ago, BeefGee said:

sounds pretty controversial to me ;)

There's a difference between an Opinion and just outright being outright incorrect. 

36 minutes ago, BeefGee said:

oh, and who says the marine in all the promotional art is definitely meant to be the marine you play as in singleplayer? 

More Mental Gymnastics. Of course the promotional Art will depict the cannon Slayer or what the marines look like in general. Thats just basic common sense.

But whatever, this is getting oftopic now. so I'll stop.

5 hours ago, CrystalHawk_Doom said:

Doomguy needs a comedic sidekick.

Found him

guy.png.e329f00b0206c5f998bc04f266c62e49.png

8 hours ago, Pegg said:

His comedic sidekick is all the demons.

he sidekicks all the demons.

2 hours ago, PSXDoomer said:

Hey, another fan of Limbo! 

*High fives*

Limbo’s one downside is it doesn’t have enough enemies and winds up feeling really empty for the penultimate mission. The actual architecture and atmosphere is just awesome though.

7 hours ago, roadworx said:

the soundtrack for the darkening episode 2 is great and anyone who disagrees can fight me

Best Episode for the reasons:

The level designs are amazing

E2M2 allows you to punch every demon in their face

The track "Sinister" makes E2M6 look more evil and I love it

The very first fight with the Cyberdemon was epic (until they kept using him and it got boring)

15 minutes ago, Wavy said:

The music and atmosphere of episode 2 alone is what make it my favorite episode out of the 4

1k times better than Episode 4

Just now, hybridial said:

I don't really hate Habitat all that much...

I don't hate Metal that much

and why does everyone forget that dumguy killed a lot of demons in the classics and it is not clear how he survived after the first episode if he was surrounded by a lot of demons and you on the slayer still say that he is not killable

Tying how much damage you take to random chance was a mistake.

I mean, if you look at the damage numbers, it's ridiculous how much they vary. Most of the projectiles have a maximum damage 8 times higher than the minimum damage and for most of the melee attacks it's 10 times higher.

The worst one is the hell baron melee attack doing between 8 and 80 damage. Based entirely on factors outside of your control, it can either barely do any damage or nearly kill you in one hit. How is that fair?

Every time I get low on health I think "man, I bet i'd be dead if that last attack did more damage".

DOOM 3 is a good DooM game. There whole concept of Demons and Technology was executed perfectly. Logs how whole mars operation corrupted and make people mad, dark atmosphere, experience of the invasion. It was good. I mean when you arrive its fine, but you can see cracks in facade, in the middle and after invasion you can hear in the walls how marines fight demons and slowly , level after level you hear less and less of human activity to the point that you are the only man alive.

Doom for me is more the idea than a solid formula of first two games. There is a reason why some people said that movie Event Horizon is a good doom movie.

12 minutes ago, Megarop said:

The worst one is the hell baron melee attack doing between 8 and 80 damage. Based entirely on factors outside of your control, it can either barely do any damage or nearly kill you in one hit. How is that fair?

Every time I get low on health I think "man, I bet i'd be dead if that last attack did more damage".

You will almost always have green or blue armor so it isn't as bad when looking at it through gameplay rather than numbers alone. If you run out of armor it is safe to assume you are taking way too many hits and death is about to happen. This is why most map are more generous with medkits than armor. Well beside maps that shower you in mega spheres.

I like the random damage because it asks you to improvise sometimes; if you've got a route around a level contingent on berserk punching a pinky at a certain point, and it lives, and monsters catch up to you while yr sidestepping you get an entirely different fight to whatever you were planning for and that's beautiful

of course I die in situations like that more times than not but that's beautiful too

4 hours ago, Wavy said:

The music and atmosphere of episode 2 alone is what make it my favorite episode out of the 4

4 hours ago, Teo Slayer said:

Best Episode for the reasons:

Uh.. roadworx was talking about the wad The Darkening E2 released in 2000.

And The Darkening E2 is an awesome wad because it is like a proto-BTSX of sorts in my eyes.

Edited by ReaperAA

8 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

And I agree with roadworx. Darkening E2 is awesome and it is like a proto-BTSX of sorts.

Turns out I can't read =P

But yeah, listening to some of the music in the WAD it is pretty good.

9 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

And The Darkening E2 is an awesome wad because it is like a proto-BTSX of sorts in my eyes.

Oof, I'm blind, sorry xD

4 hours ago, Wad overdose said:

and why does everyone forget that dumguy killed a lot of demons in the classics and it is not clear how he survived after the first episode if he was surrounded by a lot of demons and you on the slayer still say that he is not killable

for me i always though that he died on the end of E1 and he got in hell that way thats why he wakes on deimos on E2 where deimos was already floating above hell

2 hours ago, Pegg said:

You will almost always have green or blue armor so it isn't as bad when looking at it through gameplay rather than numbers alone. If you run out of armor it is safe to assume you are taking way too many hits and death is about to happen. This is why most map are more generous with medkits than armor. Well beside maps that shower you in mega spheres.

i dunno if its because i was missing secrets but on my blind playtrough trough tnt the levels hardly give you any health or ammo and since there are a lot of scanners around every conner you really have to be cautions 

On 6/15/2021 at 1:27 PM, BaileyTW said:

this is a big sentence to drop without explanation

well both games have people that go faster than source game speedruns, really easy to make a music pack, it's really hard to get into the online aspect of either games (excluding coop), and both games are fairly iconic.