Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

With all that talk over which game is better, Doom or Duke Nukem 3D, I feel I can't pick one over the other. To me, both are equally great, and the space episode is by far the best one, and I know some people prefer Doom for all the possible modifications and the library of custom wads and mods is greater than Duke, but still, Duke is awesome, so they're now tied #2 as my top 10 first person shooters. I think people are just criticising Doom 2 because some of the levels, especially by Sandy Petersen, are awful, with the exception of a few.

Monsters, weapons and maps will never (well more like 0.00000001% chance) get changed and complaining about imbalances when a pwad can solve them in 10 seconds is pointless. Just release your map with the pwad and tell people to play with that if they want the intended experience (TM).

Dunno if this counts, but I'm REALLY surprised that no-one tried suing id for copyright infringement when the game first released because if the... uh... "inspirations" of the music or the Cacodemon design.

Rampage470 said:

Dunno if this counts, but I'm REALLY surprised that no-one tried suing id for copyright infringement when the game first released because if the... uh... "inspirations" of the music or the Cacodemon design.

What do you mean?

Sgt Ender said:

What do you mean?

A lot of the music from Doom was based on popular metal songs of the time. Bobby Prince was also a lawyer iirc, so he knew how similar he could make it without a lawsuit.

http://www.doomworld.com/linguica/doomcovers/ (watch the whole video)

And the Cacodemon is not only very similar in appearance to the Beholder from D&D, but is also... even more similar in appearance to Jeff Easley's Astral Dreadnought art for the first edition of Manual of the Planes, a D&D manual.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/doom/images/f/f7/Beholdercaco.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20050109022810

That particular piece of art is sometimes in the Doomworld banner, in fact.

Rampage470 said:

Maybe it was just different enough.

I hated the Commander Keen map 31 in D2TWID. The colours made my eyes bleed and the map was way too long and platform oriented with 2 very boring enemies to fight. I'd honestly rather play the Mein Leben maps, despite how boring they are.

rileymartin said:

I hated the Commander Keen map 31 in D2TWID. The colours made my eyes bleed and the map was way too long and platform oriented with 2 very boring enemies to fight. I'd honestly rather play the Mein Leben maps, despite how boring they are.

Yeah, Commander Keen just feels out of place, doesn't fit well in Doom, and defeats the whole purpose of the hanging Commander Keen sprite seen in the super-secret level of the original Doom 2. They could have settled with either Hovertank or Catacomb 3D if they didn't want to recycle the whole Wolfenstein gimmick.

Rampage470 said:

The music was just MIDIs, which Is all just Instruments computerized, while the Cacodemon In some way looks far better than the monster seen In Dungeons and Dragons In my personal opinion.

Hell, I see the rock tracks In DOOM as a tribute now.

I've just realised how i love randomized sound pitches, they're so ridiculous! I've been playing Doom BFG Edition now, which has them enabled, and i laughed so hard! Seriously, with randomized pitches the game turns into comedy!

Doom 64 just feels awkward and unpolished to play. Everything from the movement, enemies and weapons feels off compared to PC Doom. The visuals are also boring as hell and don't get me started on the "music". It's Doom in name only and I really don't care for it. Also the Chaingun is way too strong and the SSG blows. Doesn't even have a reload animation.

Yep, I didn't like the level design of Doom64. The new graphics don't make it better imho.

However I really liked the PS1 version, even if the classic music is missing, but those ambient music and colored lighting and new sfx makes it really really scary. And the game is both Doom 1/2 and more extra levels (most of them suck, but the mansion secret level rules)

Doom 64 was better than Doom 1 and Doom 2 in every way, except level design layout and weapon animation.

rileymartin said:

It's Doom in name only.

aside from the fact that it has Doom Enemies, Doom weapons, Doom gameplay and was supervised by Id Software, yeah its totaly Not Doom. :P wheres my MIDI rock and FireBlue.

Cynical said:

Petersen maps > Romero maps.

Plutonia > Doom 2 > E4 > E3 >>>> E2 > E1 >>>> Evilution

I can already imagine the sweat, tears, and agony the popular view is taking to that.

STILES said:

I can already imagine the sweat, tears, and agony the popular view is taking to that.

Maybe the Petersen > Romero comment but lots of people consider Plutonia to be the best IWAD and TNT the worst. Plutonia really set the scene for the kind of hard encounters everyone knows and loves, including the infamous Revenant spam, multiple Viles and Chaingunners perforating you from every direction.

My ranking would be: Plutonia >>> E3 > E2 > E1/Doom 2 >> E4 >>> nuts.wad >>> TNT >>> Terry Wads >>> Eternal Doom

I really dislike a lot of the music in Doom 1 and 2, altough thats probably from hearing them SO MANY TIMES in wads that don't replace music (D_RUNNIN).

Rise Of The Triads music is 100 times better than Dooms music

jazzmaster9 said:

Doom 64 was better than Doom 1 and Doom 2 in every way, except level design layout and weapon animation.

To me the level design is the best of the classic series.

Oh, please don't get me started on RotT's soundtrack, cause I would gush over on how kickass it is. One of the best games I've ever played.

Unf said:

I really dislike a lot of the music in Doom 1 and 2, altough thats probably from hearing them SO MANY TIMES in wads that don't replace music (D_RUNNIN).

Ain't hard to imagine to be honest. I managed to avoid this burnout by using -nomusic everytime I play a wad without custom music.

i don't get how people can stand playing this game with no music at all. it's like the most horrendously boring thing period. unless you're listening to music externally i guess.

If I'm playing the iwad maps I might turn the music on, just for the nostalgia value, but otherwise my preference is to have it turned off - I get more terror out of the sfx against a silent backdrop, and more tension during any quiet moments.

Doomhuntress said:

i don't get how people can stand playing this game with no music at all. it's like the most horrendously boring thing period. unless you're listening to music externally i guess.

I played a bunch of wads with SDL Doom (which doesn't have any music) and it was surprisingly nice that way.
In fact, I played through all of Classic Episode (class_ep.wad) that way and it kinda reminded me of Quake, not only because the architecture/decor is kinda similar in places, but also because I never used the CD music for Quake, or any music at all (the ambient sound FX were enough).

(edit) Almost forgot: I also played through Aliens TC, for the first time in 2006 (tried long ago before then, but couldn't get the DeHackEd stuff to work or something). Had the music off, sound FX all the way up, and a completely dark room except for the monitor. It had almost the same effect on me that Doom did in '94.

I do prefer playing the music through Timidity, myself. Or better yet using an mp3 or ogg rendition of the soundtrack in whatever format they're best in (SC-55 for the IWADs, for example.)

Since I basically stopped playing most single-map PWADs I don't typically have an issue with d_runnin -- in fact I've developed a greater appreciation for that song in recent years and I think At Doom's Gate is inferior. (Have I said that in this thread yet?)

Eh i can agree that the iwad music gets stale. But how can you possibly play through classic stuff like memento mori and icarus silent? That just perplexes me! Oh well, preferences i s'pose.

..Or you can just silence the game music and play your own music instead. Try playing Doom with dark ambient from Cryochamber - the game gets much creepier..