Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

I find I somewhat disagree about that particular use of arch-vultures being played out in encounter areas involving many corpses, generally I still feel like this is the best 'general-purpose' way of using vile covens (in the absence of a more articulately choreographed fight), especially in the later stages of longer maps. That said, if you're playing through a map, and having a bunch of viles rezzing a bunch of corpses is going to feel like it adds little more than runtime (as opposed to excitement, pressure, whathaveyou) in a slaughtermap context, I would tend to suspect that the map in question has probably already missed the mark in aiming for that gameplay sweetspot between grind and grandeur, which of course is the favored purview of maps in that particular genre.

For my part, the endmap viletrope I reckon I've seen a little more than I care to in harder maps is the 'ol vile-wave, where a homogeneous mob of the bastards all dogpile in on you while you attempt to either find the most workable holdout spot or, alternately, try to find a way to outrun/outrange the rolling zone of line-of-sight. The allure of this particular type of encounter is that there's usually a smart/right way to handle it and then a whole mess of wrong ways, which is all well and good, but I often end up feeling like the 'viability gap' between the right way and every other way in these cases is a mite too vast, especially considering how often the right way essentially boils down to "win the fight before it even really begins."

rehelekretep said:

id love to see more archvile encounters like the one in Sunlust (forget the map) where theres the rotating, undulating orange screen and the teleporting imps/HKs

Go Fuck Yourself

That's the name of the map.

And yeah the mill wheel room is really clever and fiendish.

I am probably going to get flamed for this but....

Romero's new maps are god fucking awful. Worse than the later Doom 2 levels.

Spoiler

Deatheye said:

if doom 3 was more like the classics everyone would have said "uh, just a copy of the classics" it just wasn't the right time for a reboot like doom 2016

Ironic considering how ever since it was announced a very, VERY vocal minoriry of Doom 3 fanboys were pissing down on the game for -not- being Doom 3.

Truly the Doom franchise is the FPS equivalent of The Legend of Zelda in the way a new entry gets immediately shat on and nitpicked or compared to the game that came before it the moment it so much as gets an announcement.

On topic:

This has only showed mildly cumbersome for me up until the least two years or so, but I fucking hate that ID didn't think of adding vertical recoil for the weapons in Doom like they did for the ones in Quake later on. The weapons end up feeling dead as fuck now if I don't play it with something like Smooth Doom to achieve that effect, and I certainly don't feel like booting up fucking Crispy Doom just to get the effects I want to see on a Chocolate Doom-based sourceport.

Imp said:

Romero's new maps are god fucking awful. Worse than the later Doom 2 levels.

Visually/architecturally I agree. It was bad.

I sadly thought they weren't all that great either, especially the new one for E1M4 I believe? Just, awful.

Sorry John.

nxGangrel said:

I preferred Fortress of Mystery compared to Warrens. To me the design was just lazy(lazier).

When you kinda liked Warrens.. I think that Warrens was the highlight of E3 because I didn't really like it (albeit Fortress is more creative). But I'm loving E4 so far as this is my first playthrough of TFC

Oh my god, that 'rotating archvile fight' is absolutely amazing! I'm definitely going to need to take more inspiration from Sunlust.

Id software should have programmed the random pitch frequencies in such a way that would be customizable. That way they could reuse the same sound effects across many things but still sound different. The pistol could have a higher frequency that would sound light and the chaingun could have a lower frequency to sound more powerful. Many of the demons that reuse the DMACT and DMPAIN sounds could sound different and deeper depending on what monster is using. Hell barons and Cyberdemons could have very low sounds while pinky demons and hell knights could be very light. Chaingunners and shotgun guys low, revenants and zombiemen high, etc.

Pls no. Random pitch shifting just makes me think of Youtube Poop. It has no place in serious games.

>DOOM
>Serious game
>Need to stop using meme arrows or else I'll get flammed to shit for It

Seriously though, I would say that DOOM was a serious and spooky game back In the day (believe me, the Specter and the dark areas always scared the shit out of me) but then I'd suddenly grow attach to DOOM and It didn't feel too spooky anymore.

Doom was quite serious for its time and still more-so than other big 90's shooters like Duke or Shadow Warrior.

Tritnew said:

>Need to stop using meme arrows or else I'll get flammed to shit for It

Meme arrow on Doomworld?! 4chan is that way ---> buddy!

Rathori said:

Holy shit! I have to play this!

Sunlust is a must play. It really is one of the best megawads of all time.

I'm not a huge fan of using Imps or Hell Knights in excessive numbers to pad a map's monster count. I've been playing a lot of BTSX lately, and whenever a map shows up with 300+ monsters, half of them end up being Imps. Alien Vendetta did this a lot too where there were mutliple wide hallways full of like 20 Impse or a bunch of Hell Knights and all you had was an SSG and a few rockets. It's not challenging, it just makes the map a slog and take far longer than it should.

rileymartin said:

Alien Vendetta did this a lot too where there were mutliple wide hallways full of like 20 Impse...

I don't remember any Impse in AV...

Killing anything that doesn't threaten you imminently-enough is usually boring. It requires good placement and pacing to make killing bunches of monsters fun.

Opens up a door -> Three Hell Knight are waiting for you -> you have only a single shotgun with 50 ammo.

Deadwing said:

Opens up a door -> Three Hell Knight are waiting for you -> you have only a single shotgun with 50 ammo.

How is this a problem?

Each one takes about 6-7 shots probably even 8 and the shotgun is SOOO SLLOOOOWWWW which is why Doom 1 having barons in early levels was the worst thing.

Oh, I see. That reminds me of early E3 levels, only replace Hell Knights with Cacodemons.

SavageCorona said:

Each one takes about 6-7 shots probably even 8 and the shotgun is SOOO SLLOOOOWWWW which is why Doom 1 having barons in early levels was the worst thing.

Armadosia maps are example. First 3 maps has no SSG and you gotta take care of enemies with only shotgun.