Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

Jaxxoon R said:

That's a terrible idea.
First of all, you can say goodbye to being a physical console game since no one in their right mind would publish something looking like the N64 on modern systems. Second of all, Doom 4's big appeal is that it is a return to form of an old genre and IP, and that there isn't anything in the AAA market that does what it does. Third, id has always been an engine-centric company, touting whatever new features or capabilities with a showcase game. Idtech 6's gimmick? The fastest, best-looking (so far) game you can get at 60fps 1080p across all devices.

Also, have you ever worked with these modern GL ports? The 3D model suport in all but one of them are atrocious: no vertex lighting, no bones, not even gauroud shading (PS1 had this!). They'd have to write an entirely new renderer to handle this, and likely a completely new level format to support any form of dynamic lighting (which 3DGE ended up doing), which by that point would negate the purpose of even using the original Doom engine in the first place since it'd just be something completely different again. Then they'd just go on to make a gimpy, ugly, watered-down version of what they were aiming for with Doom 4 anyways.

It may be a terrible idea for id and bethesda, but i'd love it if we got another 2D entry.

I suggested the 3d engine thing because we all know they're not ballsy enough to just release a 2d game in this day and age. And I wouldn't care if the console crowd were into it or not :)

No I haven't worked with those ports, I assumed it was very limited with how simple and goofy the monsters some people have made look.

Let's say I think they should make a modern game that plays exactly like old Doom, even if the graphics are super fancy. Doom 4 looks slow and the enemies sit there punchdrunk like a mortal kombat match til you finish them and loot pops out.

Doom's engine may have been revolutionary, but they were just passionate gamers who built what they wanted to play; I don't think their intention was to create a fancy engine and showcase it, that just became their thing somewhere along the line. I'd love a simple return to form without all the AAA baggage.

1. I think the spider mastermind is a very boring enemy.

2.(this would be outside of these forums) I think Doom is the best video Game ever created.

3. I think the bfg takes away from the game, I'm not fond of it.

4. I hate dark maps, it's not scary it's just annoying.

5. I think Doom 4 will be the greatest fps to have come out since Half-life 2.

6. I think old doom deathmatch sucks.

ABRACADABRA said:

actually he is right - you just have to press a button in the right moment, it's a classic QTE moment

I reiterate my previous question.

TNT is best Doom.

90's maps are more enjoyable than almost anything involving GZDoom.

Duke 3D has better maps than Ultimate Doom and Doom 2.

Marathon (well at least the first) has better music than Doom.

SLADWALL and SUPPORT3 are good textures, I like them.

Aranchnotron is best monster.

GZDoom is just ugly as sin, along with any other GL port.

mrthejoshmon said:

GZDoom is just ugly as sin, along with any other GL port.

What about when running with all texture filters off? Then you just have enhanced lighting but still clean pixelly look.

ABRACADABRA said:

aside from giant lava spot in the opened brain on the wall that said SHOOT ME

That's right, I forgot that lava spot lights up during the tiny window of time when you have to fire and that all that other shit you gotta deal with somehow counts as a QTE.

Spoiler

Literally the entire Mario series is a QTE by this logic. "Press A when Goomba approaches!"

..Hell, literally every timed press of any button ever in a video game is a QTE by this logic.

well, this is just my controversial oppinion.

and here is another one: heretic is a polished version of doom

you know, almost everything that sucks in doom is greate in heretic

every weapon is useful, especially with tome of power
invisibility is much better then that joke in doom
more variable monsters
no fucking hitscanners!
you can't pick up unneeded pick ups
the automap is much better with colored doors shown on it
stats in numbers and not percents
almost every monster drops something useful and not only zombies
you can look up or down if you really need to
much more enjoyable levels
no ridiculous nightmare, much better higher skill level
no ridiculous "par" times

and much more, you've got the idea

by the way, it's sequel is not just the very same game with one added weapon, one power up and couple of new monsters

ABRACADABRA said:

actually he is right - you just have to press a button in the right moment, it's a classic QTE moment

Really? Then sniper rifles in games are just consecutive QTEs... do I need to explain why based on your "logic"?

man, why so angry? if you do not agree, well ok, it's fine.

I think that IoS is a form of QTE because:
QTE is a Quick Time Event. it's not a PTBWISOS (Push-The-Button-When-It-Shows-On-Screen) as many younger gamers think, nor it is a post-2000 feature, so basically, QTE is any specific event that should be done in that and only that specific moment. usually QTEs is a finale for some kind of a sequence of actions, where if you miss that QT event you have to do all actions in the sequence from the start or you loose it permanently and have to play in the harder conditions.

so, by that means I can clearly say, that IoS is the QTE in the puriest of it's forms

have a nice day

ABRACADABRA said:

more variable monsters
no fucking hitscanners!

Well, the fact that there's no hitscanners alone makes Heretic's monsters less variable than Doom's. Also their health seems somewhat too similar to each other's health, and even the lowest-tier enemies have it rather high (in terms of how many shots you need to kill them) in comparison to Doom.

I think Hexen's enemies are even worse than Heretic's. While they have a better appearance and generally better looking, they're boring to fight against and have poor balance to them(Ettin 175hp for canon fodder).

scifista42 said:

Well, the fact that there's no hitscanners alone makes Heretic's monsters less variable than Doom's. Also their health seems somewhat too similar to each other's health, and even the lowest-tier enemies have it rather high (in terms of how many shots you need to kill them) in comparison to Doom.

not really. the monsters in doom are:

zombieman, shotgun guy, spidermastermind
imp, baron of hell, cyberdemon
demon, spectre
lost soul, cacodemon

the monsters in heretic are:

golem, ghost golem, sabreclaw
nitrogolem, nitrogolem ghost, undead warrior, undead warrior ghost, ophidian, weredragon
maulotaur, D'Sparil, iron lich
gargoyle, fire gargoyle, disciple,

while in doom the basic scheme is
3 hitscanners, 3 projectilers, 1 melee, 1 flyer projectiler and 1 flyer melee,
in the heretic there are
4 projectilers, 3 melee, 2 flyer projectilers, 1 flyer melee and 3 specials that has unusual attacks.

and since heretic has no hitscanners it (and hexen) has more variable monsters by their nature and abilities

and yeah, I know that imps, barons and cacodemons have melee attacks, the same applies to the heretic monsters too

I also disagree on the last statement, since monsters in both games are different in approach. in doom you can easily kill zomnies and imps, but lost souls take alot. in heretic it's hard to kill "low tier" undeads but easy to kill gargoyls and hightier disciples

The plasma rifle is easily the most annoying weapon in the game. I only use it when I'm absolutely desperate (i.e. when I'm out of all other ammo types and I don't have a BFG or chainsaw).

I lost interest in playing Romero's new level about halfway through (I watched a YouTube video to see the ending though). I hate levels with too many damaging floors.

Heretic is many times better than Hexen (which I've never been able to push myself to go further than about a third of the way through the whole game ever).

Wolfenstein 3D is a truly awful game. Hated it when it came out. Still hate it now (thank god Doom came out only about 18 months later).

I think that Daisy deserved to die. Silly rabbit. :P

savagegrant said:

The plasma rifle is easily the most annoying weapon in the game. I only use it when I'm absolutely desperate (i.e. when I'm out of all other ammo types and I don't have a BFG or chainsaw).

The most annoying thing about the plasma rifle is its loud sound when firing.

savagegrant said:

Heretic is many times better than Hexen (which I've never been able to push myself to go further than about a third of the way through the whole game ever).

I like some ideas in Hexen but the bad designed puzles kill the game.

savagegrant said:

Wolfenstein 3D is a truly awful game. Hated it when it came out. Still hate it now (thank god Doom came out only about 18 months later).

it's the level aesthetics, by the 5th level you'll feel like you're playing the same level over and over. I still like the game but only in small doses (maybe it's more nostalgia then anything though). Some Wolfenstein 3D mods on the other hand are really good and have detailed levels with lots of props (something that I feel even Doom missed), like End of Destiny and Spear Ressurrecton.

I can't see how any of the puzzles in Hexen are "badly designed". you could say the path through the 2nd act is a big mess I guess

yakfak said:

I can't see how any of the puzzles in Hexen are "badly designed". you could say the path through the 2nd act is a big mess I guess

this is exactly my thoughts. although, you just have to see where you are going ant not running blindly throgh caves

RottingZombie said:

I don't think their intention was to create a fancy engine and showcase it, that just became their thing somewhere along the line.

And that's not at all true. From the very beginning they touted the capabilities of their engine to the press, far before the game was even finished.

ABRACADABRA said:

PTBWISOS (Push-The-Button-When-It-Shows-On-Screen)

I think you're getting that mixed up with a RBYJMU (Random Bullshit You Just Made Up). You can have whatever "opinion" you want on whatever you think a QTE is, but it has a set, objective definition. Like you can have the opinion that a cat is a type of pastry, but understand that also makes you an idiot.

Linguica said:

id didn't really know what they were doing with Doom and mostly got really lucky.

Is it really controversial if its true?

yakfak said:

Guardian. Of. Steel.

I got a few...

I don't dislike any map in Ultimate Doom, Doom 2 and Doom 64 but I'm not to fond of the Master Levels and Final Doom.

I think the PSX Doom/Doom 64 music fits better with Doom than the original soundtrack.

I love Doom 3, I like the change in gameplay and the new looks for the demons. The Doom 3 Lost Soul is the coolest thing ever! I prefer it over the original one.

TendaMonsta said:

Plutonia was/seems like a big inspiration for a fair amount of DOOM II pWADs

rf` said:

Is it really controversial if its true?