Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

Recommended Posts

The tracks from Doom's second episode are underappreciated and underused in mapping, specially "Waltz of Demons"

 

A Cyberdemon is a slow crusher with health.

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, Solmyr said:

The tracks from Doom's second episode are underappreciated and underused in mapping, specially "Waltz of Demons"

Such a shame. I Sawed the Demons and Waltz of the Demons are actually pretty good (though the others are just kinda eh).

Share this post


Link to post
58 minutes ago, Solmyr said:

The tracks from Doom's second episode are underappreciated and underused in mapping, specially "Waltz of Demons"

 

A Cyberdemon is a slow crusher with health.

Did you know the E3M7 version of Waltz of the Demons has louder bass compared to the E2M7?

 

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_music

 

Of course there's the IDKFAv2.wad enhanced soundtrack.

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Doomsdλy1993 said:

Why don't Doom Guy blink?

It is probably a part of the doom lore that isn't widely known, but DoomGuy has a great deal of experience in the field of "No Limit Hold'em". Being the poker table hardened veteran that he is, his ability to intimidate foes with extremely fierce stare-downs is matched only by few, and surpassed only by the poker gods themselves. Phil Laak, Tom Dwan, Daniel Negreanu... None of them can withstand the sheer intensity of DoomGuy's stoic gaze.

 

(Of course I made that all up, but I hear that this is the place for nonsense, so might as well...)

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

(Of course I made that all up, but I hear that this is the place for nonsense, so might as well...)

Well... Atleast you tried?

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, Gokuma said:

Did you know the E3M7 version of Waltz of the Demons has louder bass compared to the E2M7?

 

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_music

 

Of course there's the IDKFAv2.wad enhanced soundtrack.

No i didn't, that's interesting.

 

35 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

(Of course I made that all up, but I hear that this is the place for nonsense, so might as well...)

Tryhard. Brevity is the soul of nonesense.

Share this post


Link to post

I think, as far as weapons go, there isn't a single sound effect I like from Doom except for the rocket launcher. I like it when maps replace weapon sound effects.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Asking4Id said:

I like it when maps replace weapon sound effects.

Same here! New sounds can give a wad some additional personality. Eternal in particular makes good use of sound replacements in his projects, such as Epic 2. I have seen people overreacting when a few custom sounds are used and saying stuff like "it's good but the new sounds ruin the wad", which I think is silly. At the very least, I can't think of any quality projects where new weapon/monster sounds bothered me. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Asking4Id said:

I think, as far as weapons go, there isn't a single sound effect I like from Doom except for the rocket launcher. I like it when maps replace weapon sound effects.

 

What is wrong with you!!??!!

 

jk man. at least you like the rocket launcher ;)

 

I also kinda like it when maps replace weapons' sounds. A lot of older WADS did that but sometimes they weren't very good sounds lol.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Doomsdλy1993 said:

Why don't Doom Guy blink?

 

He actually does, but only at the same time as you, that's why you never see it. ID made it like that in order to create a sense of connection between you and the Doomguy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Guest Unregistered account
6 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

I have seen people overreacting when a few custom sounds are used and saying stuff like "it's good but the new sounds ruin the wad", which I think is silly. At the very least, I can't think of any quality projects where new weapon/monster sounds bothered me. 

In my and a lot of peoples' opinions, if a weapon sound is replaced that makes it sound weaker then it takes some of the kick out of killing bad guys with it, so I think this is justified :-)

Who wants to blast 20 holes through a guy with a weapon that sounds like someone slapping a soggy peach segment against their leg?

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/14/2020 at 7:49 PM, DiamondDude11 said:

I do not see any benefit that PrBoom+ Might have in comparison to GZDoom for the casual player.

Most of the time, when I want to play Doom, I want to play "Doom, but with more pixels and fewer bugs", not another FPS that's more or less like Doom. If it works in prboom, it's much more likely to be in the former category.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, damerell said:

Most of the time, when I want to play Doom, I want to play "Doom, but with more pixels and fewer bugs", not another FPS that's more or less like Doom. If it works in prboom, it's much more likely to be in the former category.

Considering the demo compatibility of PRBoom+, you're getting all the vanilla bugs in the actual gameplay. The only fixes would be the crashing ones from hitting vanilla limits.

 

For me, Doom is a bit of a special case when it comes to vanilla authenticity, especially since dabbling in mapping. I am willing to overlook a lot more of the engine grievances than I would with other games. If Raze happens to fix fundamental Build Engine bugs, I wouldn't see any reason to play Duke with crushing doors, enemies ignoring damage until alerted, and the slew of other Build shenanigans again.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

Considering the demo compatibility of PRBoom+, you're getting all the vanilla bugs in the actual gameplay.

 

Depending on the settings, you might even be getting more bugs than vanilla (complevel 9 autoswitch >_>)

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Asking4Id said:

Controversial: I kind of like using the pistol on pinkies.

I only do after they often survive two regular shotgun blasts to save a shell.

 

Two SSG blasts, followed by the pistol is super efficient on Cacodemons.

Share this post


Link to post

I... I'm addicted to High Noon Drifter and can't enjoy vanilla weapons anymore. I've tried, but they all feel too slow and weak to me now. I never really liked the SSG for some reason, but the Montaraz 1899 is... perfect to me. Double-loading the chambers and blowing away a Revenant in one enormously devastating shot brings me such joy, it's indescribable. I did always like the single shotgun, but it can't... it can't hold a candle to the Cintia 1901.

 

Playing with mouselook sans autoaim is another one of my vices, and I can't stand going back from that either. When maps rely on verticality and unreliable auto-aim mechanics for difficulty, it feels cheap and arbitrary to me, so I'm... I'm happy to... to undermine the mapper's efforts. I even... I even use... a crosshair.

 

I hate Revenant seeker missiles more than just about everything else in the g-game. I hate being forced to hide or run around like a fool, taking hits that either barely scratch my armor or obliterate it outright. So I-I-I made them into dumbfire rockets instead. Oh I knew what a dangerous path I'd taken, for I made them much faster and added splash damage to compensate, but I also narrowed the random damage range by raising the floor and lowering the ceiling. It's still a shameful nerf. I just... after replaying Plutonia and then Plutonia 2, I got f-fed up with the Revenant spam and snapped, then started googling how to put together simple Doom mods, and... and....     Forgive me.

 

Lastly, my greatest shame of all, the Archvile. I hated them with such intensity that I straight-up n-n-nerfed them, reducing their health by 100 and setting their PainChance from 10 to 50, just so I wouldn't have to... to... deal with their... b-b-bullshit so much. I hated the blinding fire, I hated their long-range hitscan attack, I hated how devastating it was, how difficult it could be to avoid or interrupt, especially in certain situations.... I took matters into my own blood-drenched hands. They can even be st... stun-locked now.

 

 

 

Wait this isn't a confessional thread? Shit

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

If Raze happens to fix fundamental Build Engine bugs, I wouldn't see any reason to play Duke with crushing doors

 

That's not even the only bad part of Build, the piss poor collision detection can lead to all sorts of weird deaths in these games. Wallrunning, squeezing between tight corridors/map props close to one another, trying to go into sharp corners, running into walls, etc... 

 

Yeah, this fundamental part of Build is hopelessly broken...

 

Also here's another hot take - bug fixes, including engine fixes, do not make a game more "impure", even if it results in losing demo capabilities.

Share this post


Link to post

I kinda like using Russian Overkill and Colo(u)rful Hell on just about any mapset I find, and it's always the two mods I usually pick.

It's hard to go back to other weapon mods when you can launch a couple of metric fucktons of pure nuclear death and obliterate 3/4ths of the entire map.

 

...Metadoom's also fun!

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, seed said:

 

That's not even the only bad part of Build, the piss poor collision detection can lead to all sorts of weird deaths in these games. Wallrunning, squeezing between tight corridors/map props close to one another, trying to go into sharp corners, running into walls, etc... 

 

Yeah, this fundamental part of Build is hopelessly broken...

 

Also here's another hot take - bug fixes, including engine fixes, do not make a game more "impure", even if it results in losing demo capabilities.

 

I enjoy that "feature", especially in Blood where you can use it to kill the two zombies at the beginning of the game.

I was actually playing Doom last night and I was standing directly beneath a door so it would stay open without me having to activate it and I thought to myself this would never happen in a Build engine game as I would be dead.

Share this post


Link to post

I think my most controversial opinions on Doom would be about a part of modern usermaps, but being that stating such in detail would have a mathematically estimated 99.9% chance of spawning a meaningless discussion, I'd rather be naive about it.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×