Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

8 minutes ago, Alper002 said:

Just because you didn't know any better at one point doesn't mean everyone should have to be in the same situation as you. The thing is simply that it would be better if new z-port users conveniently got to know about this stuff, rather than how we have it right now. People would more immediately understand how Doom was originally, and not initially have an incorrect image in their heads from odd defaults and lack of explanation.

To be honest here, I understand why most people want jumping/crouching to be disabled by default. But most people don't really understand that while there are maps that get broken from jumping/crouching, there are also zdoom specific maps that "actually" require jumping/crouching (and the default compatibility) otherwise those maps would not work at all.

Ultimately, the best method would be to have a guide somewhere that explained this to newbies in a newbie friendly manner.

32 minutes ago, Alper002 said:

Just because you didn't know any better at one point doesn't mean everyone should have to be in the same situation as you.

Never said or implied this to begin with...

24 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

To be honest here, I understand why most people want jumping/crouching to be disabled by default. But most people don't really understand that while there are maps that get broken from jumping/crouching, there are also zdoom specific maps that "actually" require jumping/crouching (and the default compatibility) otherwise those maps would not work at all.

Ultimately, the best method would be to have a guide somewhere that explained this to newbies in a newbie friendly manner.

There, finally someone understands...

34 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Pretty sure you can set up MAPINFO to explicitly allow/disallow jumping and crouching. However, the user's setting for this, IIRC, will override whatever is in the MAPINFO.

people just need to go back to writing instructions on the walls of the map's first room =P just a MARBLE3 patch with "turn jump on" or "play in prboom+ -cl3" scrawled on it!

people should also still be posting the location of their BBS and pictures of their dogs too tbh mapping has gotten away from its tacky heart

2 minutes ago, yakfak said:

people just need to go back to writing instructions on the walls of the map's first room =P just a MARBLE3 patch with "turn jump on" or "play in prboom+ -cl3" scrawled on it!

people should also still be posting the location of their BBS and pictures of their dogs too tbh mapping has gotten away from its tacky heart

Don't forget your Geocities webpage and AIM screen name.

1 minute ago, Dark Pulse said:

Pretty sure you can set up MAPINFO to explicitly allow/disallow jumping and crouching. However, the user's setting for this, IIRC, will override whatever is in the MAPINFO.

For newer wads, MAPINFO is there. But older wads don't contain this and they require user to have knowledge about what settings should be used for a particular map.

3 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

For newer wads, MAPINFO is there. But older wads don't contain this and they require user to have knowledge about what settings should be used for a particular map.

Those would be some extremely ancient maps then, or at the least, maps done before ZDoom allowed/disallowed it in MAPINFO, since I'm not sure when that got added to the spec.

16 minutes ago, seed said:

Never said or implied this to begin with...

My apologies, I have no idea how I got that idea in my head.

Anyway, the most important part for me is that new people have an easily accessible place to find out about this jumping stuff. @ReaperAA's suggestion is essentially what I want, although I want it to be highly visible rather than just merely existing, so the new people actually find it.

1 minute ago, Alper002 said:

My apologies, I have no idea how I got that idea in my head.

Anyway, the most important part for me is that new people have an easily accessible place to find out about this jumping stuff. @ReaperAA's suggestion is essentially what I want, although I want it to be highly visible rather than just merely existing, so the new people actually find it.

Which is what I wanted to point to the whole time.

52 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Well, there's the doomwiki, which lists all the default vanilla Doom controls, with jumping nowhere to be found (screenshot below). Also, there are more than enough articles written about doom, its engine, its quirks, the absence of looking up and down, as well as the absence of jumping and crouching... So, unless you actively avoid looking for that sort of information (which means you're not interested in the game you're playing), it's pretty much impossible to miss. Especially since there are more than enough threads and videos about ports, vanilla-esque configurations of said ports, as well as videos about doom speedrunning, courtesy of Karl Jobst. I can't blame people for not wanting to explain for a millionth time what somebody else has already laid out in great detail, and often enough, when somebody shows up and wants recommendations for source ports, these things get mentioned again as well.

Anyway, let's not pretend that this is "deep knowledge" that requires browsing the most obscure sites on the web imaginable, or that it never has been explained in any way shape or form, including "newbie friendly" manners and formats.

image.png.3e7a35534249586a0ac22316e91008bf.png

And screw writing a guide on Doomworld, or anywhere else, really, because that's gonna get buried under new threads eventually anyway, regardless of where you put it, or how many likes it gets.

3 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

And screw writing a guide on Doomworld, or anywhere else, really, because that's gonna get buried under new threads eventually anyway, regardless of where you put it, or how many likes it gets.

Well it can always be pinned, so it never succumbs into obscurity over time.

Ugly texture/sprite filters that weren't in the original game as a default option is OK, but the set-up most people use (WASD/mouse) isn't?

Why, ZDoom devs?

16 minutes ago, seed said:

Well it can always be pinned, so it never succumbs into obscurity over time.

I sincerely hope that the guide made by DoomKid gets pinned and doesn't get buried.

1 hour ago, Dark Pulse said:

Not that the user setting for this is a "gameplay option" and as such, while it is saved in the savegame, it is not saved from one game to the other -- if you start a new game, it'll be back to default value, which is "allow it unless MAPINFO says otherwise".

44 minutes ago, Juza said:

Ugly texture/sprite filters that weren't in the original game as a default option is OK, but the set-up most people use (WASD/mouse) isn't?

I don't want to defend the filter too strongly because I turn it off too, but since it didn't exist in the original game it was neither on nor off. Control settings, on the other hand...

Default values for optional setting is a complex issue. Do you leave them off and risk people not even noticing they're there? Leaving them on can lead to people making false assumption about the game, but leaving them off can lead to people not seeing what differences your port is bringing to the table.

I'll say however that the control configuration is going to get a preset system eventually, so you'll be able to switch to WASD without having to reconfigure each key.

(Don't like WASD by the way, I much prefer ESDF myself.)

3 hours ago, Gez said:

(Don't like WASD by the way, I much prefer ESDF myself.)

Never really understood this honestly.

How does it differ from WASD considering it's literally just one more key to the right for each command.

As ESDF user:

1. Convenient notch on the F key that allows position the hand on the right keys without looking at the keyboard;

2. More keys on the left that can be assigned to various useful things;

3. Much easier to reach 6 and 7 keys with left hand.

7 hours ago, seed said:

New players jumping and playing classic wads and whatnot in unintended ways is pretty much a "user error" in my eyes, especially when the user plays in a feature rich port. If they cannot be bothered to do a simple research and waste some 5 minutes in a menu to configure the port for playing whatever they want, that's very much their problem, and not a port problem. I just don't really have much sympathy for these folks, to be brutally honest - folk that can't be bothered to waste a few minutes from their lives to read a basic guide and apply the configuration themselves. Those are probably the same kind of people who can't be arsed to read a damn text file from a WAD too, and then they wonder why things break in the levels when everything is explained there - what to do and NOT to do.

If it's too much of an intellectual effort, they're better off using, say, PrBoom/Crispy for vanilla/limit-removing content (or Boom), and not a ZDoom derivative. Some things might be difficult, slow, maybe even frustrating and arduous to learn, but configuring a port on a basic level is not among them. One should never limit themselves to what they know (or don't), and grow complacent/lazy.

This is one of the most elitist things I've read on these forums in some time... Shame on new people for not knowing any better about something so trivial in life as the default settings of a 20+ year old game! Clearly they should do more research about the thing they don't even know they should be researching. Especially when the most popular ports recommended to newcomers are the zdoom family.

This is all stuff I had to figure out for myself too, no-one taught me how to set up the ports correctly either, and I did play with freelook and jumping too at the time. What I want to say here is just that laziness should not be used as an excuse to avoid finding the answer for one's self.

Given that you also had to figure that out one would think you would be able to sympathize with the viewpoint that we are all born knowing only life and the fact that we have to learn so much just to play an old, otherwise simple game is a shame. How much in-depth, detailed, doom engine knowledge do we each have and why is that necessary beyond the wild west reality of port choices and map formats we live in just to play a map as it was designed? Also, maybe you didn't mean it this way but this does directly imply that you feel that newcomers should be given the same situation as you had when you were new... but that's elitist, unhelpful, and only leads to the situation we have now where this stuff actually does have to be explained to new people instead of it being implied based on the default settings of ports. It's not difficult to see what you typed as another way of saying "well I didn't need help so others shouldn't get help," which when applied to literally anything else in life shows a total lack of empathy and perspective.

@Nine Inch Heels said:

Well, there's the doomwiki, which lists all the default vanilla Doom controls, with jumping nowhere to be found (screenshot below). Also, there are more than enough articles written about doom, its engine, its quirks, the absence of looking up and down, as well as the absence of jumping and crouching... So, unless you actively avoid looking for that sort of information (which means you're not interested in the game you're playing), it's pretty much impossible to miss. Especially since there are more than enough threads and videos about ports, vanilla-esque configurations of said ports, as well as videos about doom speedrunning, courtesy of Karl Jobst. I can't blame people for not wanting to explain for a millionth time what somebody else has already laid out in great detail, and often enough, when somebody shows up and wants recommendations for source ports, these things get mentioned again as well.

Anyway, let's not pretend that this is "deep knowledge" that requires browsing the most obscure sites on the web imaginable, or that it never has been explained in any way shape or form, including "newbie friendly" manners and formats.

I can't "quote" being on the previous page but this is entirely silly. Impossible to miss, what? Not all new doomers are gonna be watching boring informational videos or reading dry, instructional posts to get hyped for starting to play a new (old) game. You may be that much of a nerd, and hey I am too, but we've also been around long enough to see more than a few newcomers and you know as well as I do that many people just don't understand this is a thing until they are told, you know, by somebody else. Also I doubt the accuracy of the claims about articles and videos even mentioning jumping in doom being widespread.

Even those of us who played doom in the 90s won't necessarily know how jumping can break a map because not everybody understands without being told or doing research into it themselves that maps operate off of lines. Or that trigger lines can't just cross into adjacent sectors without special care. Hell even the masters of doom book bauul posted up in another thread says that doom levels use trip wires and pressure plates. Where are the pressure plates in doom? This was for an article literally written to help people learn to map in the 90s, before zdoom etc.

So yeah all this silliness is typical old-school gamer elitism and maybe y'all should take a step back to realize that not everybody is as smart as you, knows as much as you, or learns the same way you do.

23 minutes ago, Fonze said:

So yeah all this silliness is typical old-school gamer elitism and maybe y'all should take a step back to realize that not everybody is as smart as you, knows as much as you, or learns the same way you do.

Aaaaaaaaand with such an answer, all I can say is that you've definitely missed my entire point if all you're reading there is "elitism", "elitism", and more "elitism" when none of that was supposed to be even remotely "elitist". Same goes for all the others who had a similar perception.

Not even worth bringing counter-arguments in this scenario. I rest my case. My answer was going to be mostly echoing what NIH said in a previous post anyway.

Good day Fonze & everyone.

@Hellbent

I want to say you can disable some of the gore, but I'm not 100% on that.  I feel you though.  The more technology advances, the more realistic blood and viscera gets.  It's unnerving, and I question whether or not I should be building a tolerance to that kind of thing.  I'm actually glad DOOM Eternal decided to go in a different art direction.  It makes all of the ultra-violence more palatable at least.

And on a different note:

Taras Nabad is terri-bad.  There are some really juicy bits of lore, but they're gated behind some of the game's most tedious encounters.

41 minutes ago, Fonze said:

I can't "quote" being on the previous page but this is entirely silly. Impossible to miss, what? Not all new doomers are gonna be watching boring informational videos or reading dry, instructional posts to get hyped for starting to play a new (old) game. You may be that much of a nerd, and hey I am too, but we've also been around long enough to see more than a few newcomers and you know as well as I do that many people just don't understand this is a thing until they are told, you know, by somebody else. Also I doubt the accuracy of the claims about articles and videos even mentioning jumping in doom being widespread.

Missing the point...

It's pretty obvious people aren't gonna take history classes before playing a game, but it's pretty clear that they are gonna find out eventually, unless they actively avoid any and all forums related to said game, as well as all the YouTube content out there, and all the streamers playing live on twitch. There is no way you won't stumble upon this subject eventually, reading some of the previous posts is already entirely sufficient. All of which being effectively the same as "being told".

If people play in a vacuum, then, sure enough, it'll take a long while before they come across the info, but I don't see how that falsifies my point in any way. It's not like I said people would need to know this right away or something along those lines. You couldn't even play GZDoom exclusive maps for the rest of your days without eventually coming across something that has jumping disabled via mapinfo, because it's not supposed to be played with jumping at all.

It seems very unlikely to me that people who are around for a while (that being a couple months) would not find out eventually. Maybe it's not 100% a statistical impossibility, but it's damn close as far as I'm concerned.

8 hours ago, 666shooter said:

I think the original Hell Revelaed may be one of the most tedious and insufferable chores of a Wad I've ever played. I stopped after Map 13 on UV, not because I couldn't finish it with the so-called "difficulty" if I kept trying, but because I was just bored and frustrated almost to tears. The idea of "slaughter" on spectacle here was almost laughable, to the point where any modern Megawad claiming extensive inspiration from this corregated relic will get a momentary glare of suspicion from me before I commit to a download. I'm serious- I was bitterly laughing my way through Map 11, as soon as the pinky apocalypse hit, and almost deleted the stupid thing there. There is a reason mappers place a SSG or rocket launcher in accessible portions of the map; grinding through Barons and Revenants with a single shotgun or chaingun at the best is tedious and obnoxious and does not make your map harder, only less playable. I've heard so many voices shouting the praises of this so-called "Classic" that I was appaled when I actually found what the so-called gameplay consisted of. Very dissapointed, but I'm very glad we've learned from these mistakes. Thanks, Mr. Alm. I'll take any modern slaughtermap over this tripe any day.

I replayed Hell Revealed a couple weeks ago, playing each level from a pistol start and the only level I remember that doesn't have a SSG is MAP14 (which is a baffling decision, shame since it's one of the best levels). With that said, Hell Revealed is not a slaughter wad by any stretch of imagination and its levels are more like combat puzzles - you are frequently pitted against high tier enemies with only a shotgun and you're not supposed to kill them with that puny weapon, rather skip them until better armament is found or utilize infighting to your advantage. If you bruteforce your way through it's going to be boring as hell I think. That said it's not a perfect wad, far from it, just trying to give a different perspective as to why it's considered one of the most inspirational wads in /idgames.

36 minutes ago, seed said:

Aaaaaaaaand with such an answer, all I can say is that you've definitely missed my entire point if all you're reading there is "elitism", "elitism", and more "elitism" when none of that was supposed to be even remotely "elitist". Same goes for all the others who had a similar perception.

Not even worth bringing counter-arguments in this scenario. I rest my case. My answer was going to be mostly echoing what NIH said in a previous post anyway.

Good day Fonze & everyone.

Thanks for quoting the part of my post that didn't detail why I stated what I did to you and then stating that you are right because you aren't gonna bring any counter-arguments, thus proving to me that you didn't take the time to understand what I was saying to even formulate a real response.

Then again, if other people are having the same reaction as me to what you said, maybe what you said came across differently than you think, or maybe you haven't fully baked your thoughts yet to see the implications they point towards when examined logically. 

You can say "good day" and "I rest my case" but you've proven nothing and only have just made yourself look like you know less about what you're talking about than what I was giving you credit for, so all I can say beyond this is "heh." I'm fine with not continuing this conversation too though; so I guess good day to you too!

18 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Missing the point...

It's pretty obvious people aren't gonna take history classes before playing a game, but it's pretty clear that they are gonna find out eventually, unless they actively avoid any and all forums related to said game, as well as all the YouTube content out there, and all the streamers playing live on twitch. There is no way you won't stumble upon this subject eventually, reading some of the previous posts is already entirely sufficient. All of which being effectively the same as "being told".

If people play in a vacuum, then, sure enough, it'll take a long while before they come across the info, but I don't see how that falsifies my point in any way. It's not like I said people would need to know this right away or something along those lines. You couldn't even play GZDoom exclusive maps for the rest of your days without eventually coming across something that has jumping disabled via mapinfo, because it's not supposed to be played with jumping at all.

It seems very unlikely to me that people who are around for a while (that being a couple months) would not find out eventually. Maybe it's not 100% a statistical impossibility, but it's damn close as far as I'm concerned.

No I think you're missing the point:

@Doomkid said:

Jumping, crouching and a bunch of other questionable non-vanilla behavior being on by default

The point is that it shouldn't be required of people to learn in the first place; it should be implied by default. I'm ok with being potentially wrong on this and I can understand the other perspective of things, as the zdoom family is an advanced set of source ports so it would also make sense that the default settings would reflect that family of port's design goals, but at the same time the situation being what it is first off is rediculous but second to say it's newcomers' faults for not researching stuff they have no idea about (since let's face it, the doom rabbit hole goes deep) is nothing short of elitist. Doesn't mean your point doesn't have ground to stand on but there's a line between "settings should reflect the port's goals" and "it's the user's fault for not knowing any better."

17 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

With that said, Hell Revealed is not a slaughter wad by any stretch of imagination

Eh, I dunno, most of the levels in the second half certainly don't look like "traditional Doom" to me, to say so.

Just like AV also turns into slaughter later on.

8 hours ago, Doomkid said:

...but default jumping and crouching, I don't think I can ever change my mind on. 

Fun fact, when crouching was first introduced to ZDoom, the creator of Skulltag initially refused to port the feature in. After being goaded into it by the community, he eventually added a cvar to enable it called sv_iwanttocroucheventhoughitsstupidandunnecessaryanditsimplementationishorribleimeancomeonverticallysquishingspritesthatsinsanebutwhatevergoaheadandhaveyourcrouching. It defaulted to false.

Slaughter is a subjective term. Most likely, the more you enjoy slaughter, the higher your bar is as to what you actually consider slaughter.

Personally, I consider (the second half of) Hell Revealed slaughter. If you are a Sunder enthusiast you may not even label it slaughter-lite.

18 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

I replayed Hell Revealed a couple weeks ago, playing each level from a pistol start and the only level I remember that doesn't have a SSG is MAP14 (which is a baffling decision, shame since it's one of the best levels). With that said, Hell Revealed is not a slaughter wad by any stretch of imagination and its levels are more like combat puzzles - you are frequently pitted against high tier enemies with only a shotgun and you're not supposed to kill them with that puny weapon, rather skip them until better armament is found or utilize infighting to your advantage. If you bruteforce your way through it's going to be boring as hell I think. That said it's not a perfect wad, far from it, just trying to give a different perspective as to why it's considered one of the most inspirational wads in /idgames.

And I can see the combat puzzle aspect in some of the maps; as much as I hated 13's Revenant/Archvile/ impossible chaingunner nest combination, it makes sense to get the SSG  and run, but there's also very tight maps like 5- I think- that don't really allow for evasion to try and get to the more useful weaponry so you can actually deal with the enemies at hand. And Punchline and 11 essentially wall you off with enemies, keeping you from actually obtaining the armaments and power-ups you really need to effectively deal with the situation. I don't mind running around maps looking for weapons- Valiant does it all the time- but I stopped on Map 14 because it started with a Valiant or Plutonia 2 surrounded-by-death approach, except rather than running to find a rocket launcher or an SSG so I could fight back, I found the regular shotgun in an itty bitty room cramped with a Baron and some imps... and then an archvile and God knows what else as soon as I grabbed the weapon. This kind of approach to challenge just feels so much more trollish than entertaining to me. I don't know, I guess I'll give Cyberdreams a try instead if I want a puzzle-style mapset.

6 minutes ago, Fonze said:

The point is that it shouldn't be required of people to learn in the first place; it should be implied by default. I'm ok with being potentially wrong on this and I can understand the other perspective of things, as the zdoom family is an advanced set of source ports so it would also make sense that the default settings would reflect that family of port's design goals, but at the same time the situation being what it is first off is rediculous but second to say it's newcomers' faults for not researching stuff they have no idea about (since let's face it, the doom rabbit hole goes deep) is nothing short of elitist.

Source port devs aren't gonna put warning signs into the options menu, and older sets like scythe won't get updated with a mapinfo either. That problem is here to stay, and the only way to get around it is for players to find out eventually, which, as far as I'm concerned, they will, if they stick around for long enough. So ultimately players are burdened with the "learning process" that is finding out that jumping might be problematic, even more so in older maps. And that's "good enough" in my opinion. It's not like you'd need a crash course in mapping formats or source port physics to understand the basic idea. Knowing about that stuff helps, but isn't necessary at all. And there's really nothing elitist about pointing out that it is on the players to figure this out eventually. Is the situation less than ideal? Sure is. But it is what it is. Hell, if people aren't sure about jumping in classic Doom, they can literally put "jumping in classic Doom" into a search engine, and they will get very clear answers just one or two links in, if it even takes that much "effort".

I'd definitely be more than happy to have ports like GZDoom display on-screen messages when it detects for example boom-format actions, and warning about using the jump feature. But it's not going to happen. In fact, back when Anotak provided a Zscript that would give out warnings, or disable jumps entirely, guess who was one of the first to parachute into the thread, and argue against the use of said Zscript? You're god damn right it was none other than Graf himself. Have a link. Matter of fact, he himself said that he worked several overrides into the port, which in turn made the efforts of the respective mappers obsolete. If you wanna direct the word "elitist" into any particular direction, I'd suggest you put it where it really belongs.

Oh good, the “Controversial Opinions About Doom” thread has turned into the “Tell Other People Why Their Controversial Opinion About Doom Is Wrong” thread again. I love it when that happens.

That’s my controversial opinion.

9 hours ago, Hellbent said:

The primary reason I haven't played Doom 2016 more than a little bit and haven't played Doom Eternal at all is because of the gruesome gore in the games. I'm thinking I should probably give Doom 3 a try sometime, though.

If you were bothered by the gore in Doom 2016, and you think to give Doom 3 a try, well, you're in for a bad time.

8 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

In a theoretical sense, I agree with you; however, I still think that in this case one option is clearly better than the other. Most classic Doom maps (and all of the official ones) were not designed for jump/crouch. Thus the default should be off. These things can really break maps, and no, it's not reasonable that newbies research this before they start playing. Freelook, for instance, does not break maps as much (if at all), so it can stay on. Yes, freelook breaks MAP30. F*ck off and let me make my point. :P

So either you have some big flashing warning for newbies who want to experience classic Doom that they should stay the hell away from your port, or you set the defaults of jump/crouch/fly/whatever to off. If your custom map requires these things, well, then it should have a MAPINFO or equivalent that forces this to on, and your port should be programmed to do a simple OR between the user setting and the MAPINFO setting. Because you can always add MAPINFO to a new WAD using a custom feature, but not to an old WAD.

7 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Well, there's the doomwiki, which lists all the default vanilla Doom controls, with jumping nowhere to be found (screenshot below). Also, there are more than enough articles written about doom, its engine, its quirks, the absence of looking up and down, as well as the absence of jumping and crouching... So, unless you actively avoid looking for that sort of information (which means you're not interested in the game you're playing), it's pretty much impossible to miss. Especially since there are more than enough threads and videos about ports, vanilla-esque configurations of said ports, as well as videos about doom speedrunning, courtesy of Karl Jobst. I can't blame people for not wanting to explain for a millionth time what somebody else has already laid out in great detail, and often enough, when somebody shows up and wants recommendations for source ports, these things get mentioned again as well.

I dont think the average new Doom player goes on the wiki and watches speedruns before booting up the game for the first time.