Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

38 minutes ago, jamondemarnatural said:

It's better that calling a grand list of game that shares a lot of gameplay of Classic Doom "shit" because reasons?

If you can talk your mind about how you feel of Doom Eternal, you can also speak how many of those game are "shit".

Well generally speaking, I'm going to bite back when someone comes at me outta nowhere being a piss-pants about how many great games there are out there "revolutionizing the genre" and I don't agree.

I don't think the genre has been revolutionized in any sense of the world, especially not by indie developers trying to make half-assed clones of oldschool hits and desperate nostalgia. I'm talking about big budget games that are actually available outside of Steam or the shadowy alleys of a console marketplace like Xbox Live, lol. There is no such thing. And the reason there is no such thing is because it's niche, and nobody would buy it. So niche in fact that half of the titles you list were scored by the same guy, lol, it's not a very diverse scene.

1 minute ago, Hellektronic said:

Well generally speaking, I'm going to bite back when someone comes at me outta nowhere being a piss-pants about how many great games there are out there "revolutionizing the genre" and I don't agree.

I don't think the genre has been revolutionized in any sense of the world, especially not by indie developers trying to make half-assed clones of oldschool hits and desperate nostalgia. I'm talking about big budget games that are actually available outside of Steam or the shadowy alleys of a console marketplace like Xbox Live, lol. There is no such thing. And the reason there is no such thing is because it's niche, and nobody would buy it. So niche in fact that half of the titles you list were scored by the same guy, lol, it's not a very diverse scene.

The gameplay of games like dusk and amid evil is good, it doesen't really matter if the art style captures old-school shooters, visuals don't matter, gameplay does.

How "revolutionizing can be if something is the same gameplay?

I you asked you why you say's that those games are bad to call them "shit"? There it's a revolutionizing game out there as that is Doom Eternal. 

And yeah, it's the same as the previous user because i trink his opinion it's valid to just go and shake it off calling them "shit" *shurgs*

I trink that asking you for opinions don't really work at the moment, so will take your opinion as bait. Sorry!

22 minutes ago, jamondemarnatural said:

How "revolutionizing can be if something is the same gameplay?

I you asked you why you say's that those games are bad to call them "shit"? There it's a revolutionizing game out there as that is Doom Eternal. 

And yeah, it's the same as the previous user because i trink his opinion it's valid to just go and shake it off calling them "shit" *shurgs*

I trink that asking you for opinions don't really work at the moment, so will take your opinion as bait. Sorry!

I don't even know what you just said, sorry! *shurgs*

Just because I don't agree doesn't mean you have to be enraged about it, ya dig? I'd be willing to be play some of these games, but I don't think they're revolutionizing anything. I've seen Ion Storm, it looks like Duke Nukem, sure sure. I'm not really impressed by it though. Maybe it just takes a lot to impress me, I dunno anymore.

Funny of you to trink im enraged lol °w°

Well simple words for you then.

Why thoses games on the list, are "shit" in your opinion? 

HINTS:
-I never says that thoses games are revolutionizing, but they are good games-

Pretty easy, b8r! 

Or maybe they're not your jam, that's also a possibility. Not all of these titles are my bread and butter either.

I do like the fact that you accept you have an opinion just like the rest of us, and not speaking in absolutes, unlike others.

Edit: Nice, ninja'd.

Dissing the digital marketplaces is a little weird to me. Speaking generally, physical media is quickly going the way of the dodo whether us old-timers like it or not.

It's especially weird to me because the indie marketplace is in a lot of ways analogous to the shareware days of the industry (the glut of shovelware included) where small companies are able to compete on nearly-equal footing with the AAA studios. You know, small companies like id used to be. Saying something isn't worth it because it's only on digital marketplaces is to me like saying shareware games weren't worth it if they didn't get released at retail.

I used to prefer physical copies until recently as well, mainly for music albums, but I've started switching to digital marketplaces like Bandcamp a while ago, mainly because a) it's cheaper, sometimes even MUCH cheaper, like twice the price in some cases, b) instant delivery, I don't have to wait for weeks since most of the stuff I bought had to be ordered directly from the record label's store sometimes, and c) I never have to worry about stocks running out, if it's on a digital store this is not a concern at all, sure it can still disappear if it gets taken down or the license to sell the product expires, but you get the idea.

It's not the same as having a physical, bad ass CD collection, but it is much more convenient overall, so I can live with that.

47 minutes ago, Gunstar Green said:

Dissing the digital marketplaces is a little weird to me. Speaking generally, physical media is quickly going the way of the dodo whether us old-timers like it or not.

It's especially weird to me because the indie marketplace is in a lot of ways analogous to the shareware days of the industry (the glut of shovelware included) where small companies are able to compete on nearly-equal footing with the AAA studios. You know, small companies like id used to be. Saying something isn't worth it because it's only on digital marketplaces is to me like saying shareware games weren't worth it if they didn't get released at retail.

I have no issues with digital marketplaces as such. In fact, all the music and many of the books I buy come in digital form. But I draw a line when it comes to DRM. If something got DRM protection I won't buy it. End of story.

Music is no longer an issue, it always comes in a form that's free to use, but with other goods it isn't as easy. Amazon is a no-go for eBooks because of copy protection and vendor lock-in and modern games are essentially hands-off item with their invasive protection schemes.

Speaking of ebook piracy, that reminds me of Fall of Man's premise:

"We want to believe that all of our customers understand that by buying our releases, they are directly supporting the authors, and therefore we have decided against the use of any kind of DRM software on our digital releases. As readers ourselves, we consider DRM to be nothing more than a nuisance. Books are meant to be shared, and knowledge will spread no matter what. As they say, information wants to be free… and after all, if someone wants to pirate one of our books, there is little we could actually do against it, and we think DRM software would only bother those customers who actually paid for it."

1 hour ago, Hellektronic said:

There are quote marks so it has to be a quote, but from whom? I went back to this page and the previous and the only posts containing the substring "revol" are yours and the later ones that quote yours. So are you actually replying to the voices in your head? That would certainly explain the "outta nowhere" thing.

The closest I've seen is Biodegradable's mention that these games rejuvenate the gameplay. But that's not at all the same meaning as "revolutionizing the genre". It's pretty nearly the exact opposite in fact. These retro shooters are going back to the basics, with perhaps a little dose of modern sensibilities and a focus on what worked well in old shooters that has been lost in modern shooters; something that revolutionize the genre would be something that introduces radical changes and create a new school of shooter design. This, I think, would be more like what nuDoom has been doing -- notably by including enemies that require changes in tactics to be fought, such as the Marauder.

3 hours ago, seed said:

Or maybe they're not your jam, that's also a possibility. Not all of these titles are my bread and butter either.

I do like the fact that you accept you have an opinion just like the rest of us, and not speaking in absolutes, unlike others.

Probably just not my jam in a lot of cases. I do appreciate you saying that though.

@Gez You know, you should really go get ready for your standup comedy special on Netflix. You know what I meant. Rejuvenating, revolutionizing, similar ideas. Both start with R. Both involve changing something crappy into something lively, more or less. It was on another page and I was too lazy to reread the comment.

4 hours ago, Gunstar Green said:

I'm not really dissing them per se. I'm just saying when you don't even bother to manufacture physical copies of your game, it's a pretty obvious sign that it's a very niche game, probably made by an indie developer that can't afford the logistics. I'm a physical-copy dinosaur all in all, but I don't have a huge qualm with buying games digitally. I just avoid the indie ones if I can help it.

4 hours ago, jamondemarnatural said:

Funny of you to trink im enraged lol °w°

Why thoses games on the list, are "shit" in your opinion?

I can't tell if you're happy, sad, overjoyed, or just plain snarling at me like a wolf... no offense, lol.

BUT, I don't think all of those games are shit. It's just an offensive term, and I think it was called for given the mounting attitude all pointing in my direction just over a neutral analysis of the new Doom games. Hell Hunt actually looks pretty cool, and Dusk sounds cool, but the artstyle makes me cringe.

There are a few indie shooter games on Steam I had my eye on, I'd probably regret buying them, but they have a good idea at heart.

10 hours ago, Hellektronic said:

You know what I meant. Rejuvenating, revolutionizing, similar ideas. Both start with R. Both involve changing something crappy into something lively, more or less. It was on another page and I was too lazy to reread the comment.

I hate to play semantics with you, mate, but now you're just being silly. A quick glance at a dictionary will tell you that Rejuvinate means to make something old feel new again, which is what my earlier point was. Revolutionize means to radically change something completely. If you want people to understand what you meant to say, try using words correctly in the first place so you don't risk being misinterpreted. 

Edited by Biodegradable

Hey guys, thanks for the dictionary explanations!

I have an opinion about Doom that while E1 is really good, wads that try to replicate it or otherwise use alot of tech base and slime pools are boring. 

I hate slime pools. 

8 hours ago, Old-Doomguy said:

I have an opinion about Doom that while E1 is really good, wads that try to replicate it or otherwise use alot of tech base and slime pools are boring. 

I hate slime pools. 

I have the opposite opinion.

16 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

I have the opposite opinion.

OK, which 5 (or less) WADS would you recommend me in order to change my mind?

9 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

And on that topic, to 'rejuvenate' would mean that you were juvenated

Everyone is born like this.

9 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

and then somehow lost it

This is called "getting old".

12 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

I hate to play semantics with you, mate

Then don't.

Like I said, I didn't reread your comment to even look up "rejuvenate", because I didn't give a shit what you even said or why. And I still don't. Your entire argument was 100% deflected because of it's inherent disrespect, and I don't have any time for that shit. And I still don't.

32 minutes ago, apollyon094 said:

Plutonia is good, sue me.

I sue you with a case of Plutonia 2.

1 minute ago, jamondemarnatural said:

I sue you with a case of Plutonia 2.

I sue you with a case of Wow.wad

There is a hole on that .wad, sorry, it's not good to Sue.

But as a Controversional Opinion to add,

If Doom 64 was out in PC instead of N64, maybe that could be the first Doom on the id2 tech engine, and would be more of less the same as Quake.

SUPER CONTROVERSIAL WARNING!

DOOM 64 is the greatest DOOM game! I enjoy some WADs for DOOM 1 and 2 better than DOOM 64, but out of the main games, it's my favorite.

16 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

SUPER CONTROVERSIAL WARNING!

DOOM 64 is the greatest DOOM game! I enjoy some WADs for DOOM 1 and 2 better than DOOM 64, but out of the main games, it's my favorite.

Oh dear... scandalous. Lol. You mean you even like Aubrey Hodges' music?

Not really sure why you're being so hostile. Perhaps you'd have better luck posting your opinions on a private blog since you clearly don't like having your ideas challenged. That kind of thing tends to happen if you post on a public forum. 

22 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Not really sure why you're being so hostile. Perhaps you'd have better luck posting your opinions on a private blog since you clearly don't like having your ideas challenged. That kind of thing tends to happen if you post on a public forum. 

"Evidently" you need to show more respect next time, it's as simple as that.

Of course I've seen and played these games you speak of, I just don't feel the same way about them as you do. I don't think they're "rejuvenating" anything... of course, I guess it depends on the example you're talking.

Edited by Hellektronic

doom 2 is a lazy sequel and it felt somewhat rushed. I do enjoy some of the levels but it felt more like it could've been an addon for doom 1, not a separate game.

36 minutes ago, Hellektronic said:

You mean you even like Aubrey Hodges' music?

I don't like any DOOM Music. Usually, I just play a CD and turn my tv's volume down to 0.