Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
unerxai

Recommended vanilla wads

Although I've been playing Doom since the 90's, I've never taken the time to check out fanmade single player maps/wads. I'm interested in knowing what are the best, most renowned fanmade vanilla wads.

Hello!

If you're interesting in checking out some fanmade wads, my starting recommendations are Paul Corfiatis's The Twilight Zone, Memento Mori 1 and 2, Requiem, Icarus: Alien Vanguard, and, if you can handle Plutonia, Hell Revealed. Those are the wads I started out with when I got into playing custom vanilla wads.

Try Back to Saturn X. It's got new textures, music, levels and even a decent story. There are two episodes available to download at the moment and a third episode is planned to be released in the future. Definitely recommended and it's very impressive vanilla mapset.

Eternal Doom, but if you don't like getting lost, I would strongly suggest against playing it. It's called Eternal Doom for a good reason! :P

On 2/2/2016 at 10:02 AM, UNERXAi said:

Although I've been playing Doom since the 90's, I've never taken the time to check out fanmade single player maps/wads. I'm interested in knowing what are the best, most renowned fanmade vanilla wads.

These are my favorite ones:

- Memento Mori II
- Perdition's Gate
- The Plutonia Experiment
- Doom The Way Id Did*
- STRAIN
- Hell Revealed

*DTWID is more recent, but have the same concept

Edited by Noiser

I remember when I played Eternal Doom proper the first time back in 2009 and was so sick of puzzles after completing it I went straight to Hell Revealed 1 for pure action instead. And action I got alright. I'm completely desensitized to Cyberdemon encounters today.

I'll be checking out the ones mentioned more often. Thanks.

Noiser said:

- Perdition's Gate

Wasn't that one a commercial release or something?

UNERXAi said:

Wasn't that one a commercial release or something?

Yes, but there was a demo version. Just do some web search.

Cyanosis said:

I remember when I played Eternal Doom proper the first time back in 2009 and was so sick of puzzles after completing it

Yeah, I have this love-hate relationship with Eternal Doom as well. While it's so fun exploring the architecture, I usually want to beat the level as fast as I can so I don't get the SUCKS graphic at the Intermission screen. (I hate being told that I suck, LOL.)
If it takes too long for me to figure out a certain level, I just give up and warp to the next one, hoping that it will be easier to beat. (Yes, I know it's cheating, but I don't have the patience for this crap.)

That begs the question though... how does Team TNT do it?

HavoX said:

Yeah, I have this love-hate relationship with Eternal Doom as well. While it's so fun exploring the architecture, I usually want to beat the level as fast as I can so I don't get the SUCKS graphic at the Intermission screen. (I hate being told that I suck, LOL.)
If it takes too long for me to figure out a certain level, I just give up and warp to the next one, hoping that it will be easier to beat. (Yes, I know it's cheating, but I don't have the patience for this crap.)

That begs the question though... how does Team TNT do it?

I got Sucks on most of the levels too, I was using Doomsday 1.8.6 when I played most of it, so I couldn't tally my total time elapsed for this beast of a megawad (I say most because I did have to unfortunately switch to GZDoom when I hit MAP27 or so because it crashed on Doomsday). Also I beat most of Eternal Doom legit, there was a couple really mathematical puzzles involving raising platforms that just did my head in trying to proceed so I shamefully clipped through those trouble spots but it was late in the game.

UNERXAi said:

I wonder if by "vanilla" you mean the same thing as people in this community do, which is "wads potentially playable in the original Doom executable under DOS or a DOS emulator, not requiring any source port and not using and relying on any advanced source-port-specific features". Did you really mean it like this?