Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Do Rocket Jumping and Bunnyhopping belong in Doom? (Poll)

http://vote.pollcode.com/44838986

All over the internet I see people arguing that Doom 2016 does not have the aforementioned "features". Why did I use quotes? Because they were not features added in Quake in the first place. They are basically exploits that take advantage of the engine. Plus they are more of a Quake thing and were never part of Doom.

So what do you think? Does a "proper" Doom game need Rocket Jumping and Bunny Hopping? Is Double Jumping a suitable substitute?

Certainly not, i don't wanna see people jumping arround the levels while i'm on the ground trying as hard as possible not to be seen by them, they're not necessary .

Not all people are able to use these technics + Shooting yourself with a Rocket should kill you, not carry you outta the levels or to sections where you're not supposed to be, It might cause several problems .

Bunnyhopping ? Eh, no way, this shit sucks .

And like you said, they were simply engine exploits, they were never meant to be there in first place .

And of course, i don't wanna see a Quake carbon copy, Doom should stay Doom .

Since Doom 3 is a Doom game, I would say on some part they do belong and Doom 3 had alteast strafejumping. Would be nice to have strafejumping so it would prove this has atleast someway been designed for PC aswell, because atm it's just a full console game.

Next thing they will do.. Remove any sort of high difficulty from Quake 5 aswell, because "it has to work on controllers". What is the purpose then anymore if a game must be accessible to everyone? Certainly will not have as much longtevity etc as older id games did, because stuff that presents no challenge, just will get boring eventually since there is nothing left to do but kill time.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

I think I'd be fine with bunnyhopping if the player couldn't do it all the time. Say, after making 3 immediately consecutive jumps, he would not be able to jump anymore until a certain cooldown time passes, said time would perhaps be as long as how long the player stays in air during 1 jump.

And I think I'd be fine with rocketjumping. Of course not as a mandatory gameplay mechanic though. Just to be practicable in some way that might actually help the player.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Certainly not, i don't wanna see people jumping arround the levels while i'm on the ground trying as hard as possible not to be seen by them, they're not necessary .

Not all people are able to use these technics + Shooting yourself with a Rocket should kill you, not carry you outta the levels or to sections where you're not supposed to be, It might cause several problems .

And like you said, they were simply engine exploits, they were never meant to be there in first place .

And of course, i don't wanna see a Quake carbon copy, Doom should stay Doom .

Fun is bad right guys

I think each franchise should be distinct from one another. I think that the 90s games were too similar and efforts should be made to differentiate them while still maitaining a few general ideas throughout games. Wolfenstein should continue to be the more story-based cinematic shooter and Doom should continue to differentiate itself from Quake.

Look at this from a different perspective. If they make a new game they could put in Rocket Jumping and Bunny Hopping as a way to differentiate it from the Double Jumping of Doom.

Does anyone actually rocket jump or strafe run in SP? I know I don't. Maybe a little bit in ROTT'13 because some secrets required it but that's that. I don't see it as an important or necessary 'feature' in SP at all.

DooM_RO said:

Wolfenstein should continue to be the more story-based cinematic shooter

No it definitely shouldn't. No GAME should go for being "cinematic", that's what MOVIES are made specifically for, and this is what prevented The New Order from being an awesome game - too much in-engine cutscenes that you can't skip between the action.
I agree with the differentiation argument though. Wolfenstein is more focused on hitscan combat and Doom on movement for example.

Touchdown said:

Does anyone actually rocket jump or strafe run in SP?

Speedrunners, perhaps... but not something for the casual player.

Yes, absolutely!
If not, it becomes more and more like a generic FPS; I don't want slow speeds and everyone creeping around corners like counter strike, I want guys darting around at speeds I can barely handle.

wheresthebeef said:

Yes, absolutely!
If not, it becomes more and more like a generic FPS; I don't want slow speeds and everyone creeping around corners like counter strike, I want guys darting around at speeds I can barely handle.

Counter-strike doesn't have Deathmatch, that's why .

I love rocket jumping, but I'm not too fond of bunny hopping. Mainly because it looks fucking stupid when everyone is doing it, like we're deathmatching on trampolines or something.

Bunnyhopping = Faster speed and less chance to get hit or killed , And worst part of it is that not all of players are good at it .

Bunnyhopping is when the player keeps holding (or spamming) the jump button to jump repeatedly, always jumping again as soon as he touches the ground and then again and again, while running around and playing the game, for example when speedrunning it, because this technique often allows him to move faster than he would by mere running on the ground.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Try Rocket Jumping in Real life, it's fun ;) .

Pretty much dumbest argument. Forum is Doom focused, digussed game is a Doom game and you talk about realism? lolwut

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Try Rocket Jumping in Real life, it's fun ;) .

living up to your custom title, aren't you

LkMax said:

No GAME should go for being "cinematic", that's what MOVIES are made specifically for, and this is what prevented The New Order from being an awesome game - too much in-engine cutscenes that you can't skip between the action.

I disagree; video game stories can be much more immersive than a movie can ever hope to be. Many of TellTale Games' "games" are more like huge interactive cutscenes, and they're great fun IMO. Not games in the traditional sense, but they achieve something movies can't.

Anyway, I don't think rocket jumping is that important. If it's there, it's there, if not, whatever.

With the vertical-oriented design they're going for, Rocket Jumping would be a natural fit. Spending a chunk of health/armor to quickly get a bit higher than a double-jump, while still having your second jump for a further boost or correcting your path seems like it would have a lot of potential in both single and multiplayer. They're already designing the areas with a lot of verticality, slotting in Rocket Jumping shouldn't do much, if any harm.

Bunnyhopping, though? Nah, the game is clearly designed around its current lateral movement speed, with lots of overlaid narrower paths instead of fewer wider ones. I feel it would be too cumbersome to get much use out of it, especially if the alpha map is anything to go by, it'd be too hard to avoid careening over those railings and into the lava. Bunnyhopping in a game with a double jump also adds another layer of complication.

Judging by the footage we've seen, even as Doomguy's speeds increase from upgrades, you're going to have a distinctly set speed with no actual sense of proper momentum, unlike the original Doom where there was a slight slide and such. Combine that with controlled air movement via a double-jump and I doubt bunnyhopping and rocket jumping would even remotely be functional in the new game. Meanwhile Doom 3's speeds (I didn't play multiplayer much, although I know its speeds are basically Always Run) don't compliment bunnyhopping, and rockets were too lethal in D3 and Classic Doom to allow for the idea of rocket jumping.

I say leave them in Quake, let Doom do fragging its own way with a focus on direct confrontations between guns.

HavoX said:

living up to your custom title, aren't you

:o

wheresthebeef said:

Actually, CS:GO does ;)

The only title in the entire series, However when deathmatching in CSGO , players most time don't hide since they know they're going to respawn .

Are you guys confusing strafe jumping with bunny hopping? Because strafe jumping is Quake and bunny hopping is a counter strike thing.

As to the question... Guys double jump is in this game, I think what is "Doom" went out the window with the addition of a normal jump. And as LkMax brought up, rocket propulsion was already in E3M6, so rocket fueled transportation in this Doom wouldn't be all that out of the ordinary imo.

MacBeth said:

Are you guys confusing strafe jumping with bunny hopping? Because strafe jumping is Quake and bunny hopping is a counter strike thing.

As to the question... Guys double jump is in this game, I think what is "Doom" went out the window with the addition of a normal jump. And as LkMax brought up, rocket propulsion was already in E3M6, so rocket fueled transportation in this Doom wouldn't be all that out of the ordinary imo.

That E3M6 thingy is a very niche thing that required a specific situation (invulnerability)

You didn't need invulnerability to survive that rocket, sure it hurt but it wasn't hard to have a surplus of health and armor at that point in the game.