Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Genki

Textures with lights, How??

Looks like dynamic lights, which only work in OpenGL, they are placeable into maps as things, and these things are available in mapping editors when using (G)ZDoom-specific editor configurations.

scifista42 said:

Looks like dynamic lights, which only work in OpenGL, they are placeable into maps as things, and these things are available in mapping editors when using (G)ZDoom-specific editor configurations.

Ok, I got the general idea, but how do I create that pointlight? How do I determine the color, sorry for this totally noob lol, I need a template if you don't mind :)

Find the dynamic light thing type you want (for example PointLight) in the "Dynamic lights" section in the editor's thing list, and place it into your map. Right after it gets created, go to edit its properties. In Hexen and UDMF formats, each thing have an Action and Arguments. You pass the dynamic light's respective parameters as its Arguments, typically to specify the color and size of the light. For example PointLight takes 4 arguments - the first 3 are RGB components of the desired color, and the 4th one determines radius of the light sphere. Decent map editors will display "names" of the Arguments, so that you know what's supposed to be written where. You can always check the wiki for the argument documentation of each dynamic light thing type, too.

Or simply make your map in UDMF Format and place the Thing "Light" and change the color to whatever you want .

It's best not to apply brightmaps to light textures, since then you get situations where a flickering room is dark and yet the lights are on.