Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LordTestes

Doom 2016 Issues

I originally posted this in the wrong room apparently so let me try this again. This is not hate, this is merely a concern and I want to at least try to make an effort on this. I am well aware this is 2016 and that it won't be the same game, but I still want it to turn out great and here is what I have to say.

Today I went to the id/Bethesda website and posted a long message in regards to the issues I've seen from the E3 Preview of the new Doom game coming out this year (apparently this spring). There were 2 things of major note I posted - this being (1) the terrible, World of Warcraft style Cyber Demon with it's hideous antlers and chunky body vs. the toned/muscular badass we encounter in the original style Doom games, and (2) the chainsaw animation scenes vs. the player's real movement. I don't know how many people are voicing these issues to id, but I feel as a community we need to step up and inform the people there that any ruining of these elements will cost them the gameplay and reviews for this game, and maybe even fans. In case any of the community doesn't know, there are no original id founders left working for id and creating the games we love(d).

I need all of us to post and address the issues in an attempt that id would release a true Doom game, and not something as hype to take money from the fans of the greatest cult classic of all time, which also revolutionized gaming.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to add that any personal ideas of what you want to see in the new Doom game you should post as well. One thing I think would be absolutely awesome would be customizing your marine face and having that as a HUD face pic which shows expression like the original Doom-Guy face (such as clenching teeth, blood, irritation from taking damage, etc.)

Funny that chunky vs toned is a thing you mention in demons, like they need to "eat clean" with a dinner of steamed broccoli etc. Just amusing to think about.

But I do agree that the Cyberdemon design isn't as good for other reasons, like the face design etc. The Baron of Hell looks terrific though.

As for these two nitpicks having a huge effect on the reviews or fans, I don't know about that. But feedback can't hurt in general.

Thanks for replying, and lol at the clean eating haha. I personally view the Mancubus as the glutton, not the Cyber Demon though...especially since the cyber is mechanically modified (maybe even nano-technology, who knows). I agree with the face design issue as well. Overall, the new Doom looks great to me...but when I was googling, the 2 issues I addressed seemed to be the biggest and personally stood out to me as well.

LordTestes said:

I originally posted .....

100% agreed on CyberDude designs as well as Mancubus...those are 2 absolutely bad designs...and beleive me lots of fans share this issue.....
BUT! I'm affraid that real issues with the game may come from completely different directions....like linearity, items drop system wich just make the whole experience pretty casual, unimportance of exploration and secret revelation and some more...so hold your horses on those 2 issues cos there might be a much worse problems with the game.

Yeah, the loot and secrets are definitely big for single player, but I'm not too worried about that (but I am still worried), or the linearity in comparison due to being able to create levels. A lot of members of the Doom community have created some awesome WADs that surpass the original IMO, such as BTSX, Alien Vendetta, etc. and I have spent dramatically more time playing those than the originals.

id.dav said:

100% agreed on CyberDude designs as well as Mancubus...those are 2 absolutely bad designs...and beleive me lots of fans share this issue...

Count me out of this, I don't mind the Cyberdemon at all and the new Mancubus design is actually quite good.

id.dav said:

linearity, items drop system wich just make the whole experience pretty casual, unimportance of exploration and secret revelation and some more

items drop system is the only actual problem of that list, the rest all the media seems to point to the opposite of what you mentioned or is just speculation with no basis.

Speculation with no basis, or are you just too lazy to look this up?
https://www.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/3ab6h7/anyone_else_disappointed_with_the_new_cyberdemon/
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-2016-general/73248-disappointed-with-the-monster-designs/4/

Don't come in here claiming speculation when this is a real thing. The details are phenomenal and that's not the issue if you are getting the terms confused. Also, you used the "media" as a reference even though I'm specifically saying "the Doom community". The media is full of game groupies (a term meaning people trying to make anything sound good because it's their job or people who are overhyped for a game that could be crap - example being Fallout 4). Don't bs me man, I want a good Doom game, and it seems like you don't seem to give a damn about making things right with this "revolutionary" game. Remember Rage? Yeah, that game wasn't nearly as good as what is was hyped up to be. There are no ORIGINAL id members left in case you didn't read, meaning the game won't be the same unless the fans step up. "Don't mind" is different from "Love the new design". I don't like half-assery in case you didn't notice.

EDIT: I mean, the "antlers" compared to the horns on the cyber aren't even facing the right way, how are you okay with that?

He's talking about the gameplay stuff you're complaining over that Gameinformer spent most of last month covering and trying to ease tensions about. You just keep pointing to the monster designs.

LordTestes said:

EDIT: I mean, the "antlers" compared to the horns on the cyber aren't even facing the right way, how are you okay with that?

I'm just hoping there is more to this Cyberdemon than we know. It could very well be a run in the mill super unit that has a mini boss sequence when first encountered. There could be a truer cyberdemon with a different look we may encounter and there might even be variations in looks (like how someone spotted the armored Mancubus), possibly a Hell version.

I don't dislike it that much though, not as much as most people seem to. But I totally prefer the more truer to the original version like most fans.

LordTestes said:

There are no ORIGINAL id members left in case you didn't read

Like Carmack ever cared about the games. Remember: Call of Doom was being made while he was still at id.

LordTestes said:

Because I'm not completely anal over pointless details. The Pinky has a tail now, too. The horror!

LordTestes said:

There are no ORIGINAL id members left in case you didn't read, meaning the game won't be the same unless the fans step up.

Even if he may not be the original id member (AFAIK he was hired somewhere in 1992< correct me if I'm wrong) - what about Kevin Cloud? He is still working in id.

LordTestes said:

One thing I think would be absolutely awesome would be customizing your marine face and having that as a HUD face pic which shows expression like the original Doom-Guy face (such as clenching teeth, blood, irritation from taking damage, etc.)

Thanks, but personally, I'd rather not to see this in new DOOM.

ArchvileHunter said:

I'm actually glad, that the new DOOM strays from the originals slightly. I don't want just the old games in a new engine, I want a new game ffs.

If I could pin a post in flashing neon at the top of the forum it would be this.

AirRaid said:

If I could pin a post in flashing neon at the top of the forum it would be this.

I'm glad you see that too. I don't even want to get into the Final Fantasy forums and their shitstorms over a certain remake because it's not 1:1 to the original. This new Doom doesn't seem like it'll be excellent, and for all I know it could suck, but it's interesting enough to hold out hope for and I want to see how it turns out nonetheless. Just like Wolfenstein: The New Order, and I loved that game.

AirRaid said:

Yep.

Yeah, Kevin Cloud is now executive producer at id Software, but I don't think he was part of the original team (seeing as Wolfenstein was 1991) but he did work on Doom.

@ Jaxxoon R - I'm not sure what John Carmack or Adrian Carmack thought, but John Carmack did develop the original Doom engine which was outstanding for its time.

Overall, I embrace some changes and think some of them could be unique. I particularly like how tall the Baron of Hell is, and maybe there will be a more "Hellish" version of the cyber like Chezza mentioned...that's what I'm hoping for. I'm glad the new Doom strays from the original Doom as well, but when the monsters look less badass than a game made about 13 years ago, I think its time to re-analyze and re-design bits and pieces, but then again I am a perfectionist. I just feel like with Doom 3, the Doom community wasn't given attention. If the game was called something else besides Doom 3, it would've been awesome...but as "DOOM" it was a let down for sure. Can you imagine having Half-Life 3 come out and everything look completely different? That's just my perspective, but I embrace ideas.

LordTestes said:

I don't think he was part of the original team (seeing as Wolfenstein was 1991)

He wasn't. Maybe he joined id when they already were working on Wolf3D, or even some time earlier.

LordTestes said:

but when the monsters look less badass than a game made about 13 years ago

It was then. What's now is now. This is a NEW DOOM, with new visuals. Let id decide this thing, for they probably won't listen to us and change something in monster's design. If they will, that will be a pleasant surprise, but still - I would not hope for it.

LordTestes said:

Can you imagine having Half-Life 3 come out and everything look completely different?

I'll be honest: I don't give a sh*t/single f**k at HL3.

[LeD]Jake Crusher said:

It was then. What's now is now. This is a NEW DOOM, with new visuals. Let id decide this thing, for they probably won't listen to us and change something in monster's design. If they will, that will be a pleasant surprise, but still - I would not hope for it.

They did take into mind the complaints about Cacodemons. They seem redder and brighter now compared to the dull colors in early screenshots, and their green eyes stand out more to boot.

RikohZX said:

They did take into mind the complaints about Cacodemons. They seem redder and brighter now compared to the dull colors in early screenshots, and their green eyes stand out more to boot.

Yeah, that was it, but will they consider everything that people said about Cyberdemon's design?
And yes, I said "probably" :)

RikohZX said:

No, that's retarded. The game looks different according to the lighting. HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO REPEAT MYSELF?!! It's just like Doom 64. Fucking hell!!!

RikohZX said:

He's talking about the gameplay stuff you're complaining over that Gameinformer spent most of last month covering and trying to ease tensions about. You just keep pointing to the monster designs.

I'm glad someone can actually interpret what other people say.
I specifically quoted the part where he complains about gameplay and he reply saying some people dislike the monster design... pfff.

I've been waiting since 2008 for a new Doom, so I'm not really in the business of complaining. The non-threatening look of the cyberdemon is honestly the only thing I have a problem with at this point, but it's not enough for me to write a damn complaint letter.

Also the Cyberdemon's butt is not detailed; They ruined a classic oh no!!
Im much more concermed with the diffculty of Doom 2016's Cyberdemon than its looks.
I really like the WoW look to it, it just seems fresh in the DooM universe.

And here I thought this thread would be about the glory kills and how it supposedly slows the pacing of the game or something.

Well, to address the actual points made in this thread, I wouldn't be surprised if the Cyberdemon is going to get a facelift before the game releases; the latest trailer has already shown us several redesigns compared to earlier trailers (the shotgun to mention an example).
And considering how the Cyberdemon design seems to have been universally panned all across the internet (not just on this site), I think they'll probably make a few modifications.

Yeah the animation for the "glory kills" you mentioned bugs the hell out of me sometimes...I mean it initially looked cool and reminded me of Brutal Doom, but it should be part of the players movement, rather than an animation IMO. Example - in Doom 3 when you chainsawed a creature, there wasn't an animation scene...instead it was all real movement and it looked awesome. I think they (id) should avoid animation sequences

LkMax said:

I'm glad someone can actually interpret what other people say.
I specifically quoted the part where he complains about gameplay and he reply saying some people dislike the monster design... pfff.

He also mentioned the monsters in case you couldn't read, no need to be a douche. If you read the previous posts you'd know I addressed secrets, linearity, and SnapMap (being able to create custom maps). I didn't misinterpret anything. Until we have a person with first hand experience of the gameplay elements, all we can tell is visuals. Make sure YOU interpret correctly or understand what I'm saying before being an asshole.

Captain Ventris said:

I'm still holding out my purchase on the basis of customizable arm hair.

Lol at the trolling comment