Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Apenotis

Map-Pack Doom 1 and 2

Number 26 and 27 have Doom and Doom 2. It appears you have included them in. That or it's just design to find them on the person's system.

Are these all wads that work well for Zandronum and Brutal Doom or just Zandronum while Brutal Doom is included for the fun of it?

He didn't include the IWads, you have to plop them in the appropriate directory yourself.

7hm said:

He didn't include the IWads..

Not in the iWad folder, no. But in the pWad folder there is a sub-folder named Finaldoom, which has the Plutonia and Tnt Iwads in it.

And seriously, a 1.2Gb download? You could leave the folder structure in place but just give Doomworld links to the appropriate files. There's only a few pwads I don't recognize from the archives.

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

Not in the iWad folder, no. But in the pWad folder there is a sub-folder named Finaldoom, which has the Plutonia and Tnt Iwads in it.

Major boo-boo indeed... Bloodshedder's not going to be happy.

As a heavy Zandronum and BD user I definitely appreciate what he has done, if all wads have been tested and can confirm capability. But yes, he should definitely stray from anything illegal be it by mistake or not. If this is the case then I hope this can be corrected asap.

Cool idea, i recently did the same to make a portable ZDoom disc with a bunch of megawads on it for my family and friends so they could play with no installation. Your batch file menu (if that's what it is) looks better than mine for sure.

Yeah, not all of these are going to work well ...

I know for a fact that, for instance, Sunlust map 30 does not behave with Zandronum (tried it once, and I was glued to what was either the wall or the floor in the initial area and could not progress, Z complained about something to do with the nodes ...).

Good Morning

Well,

The Idea was an easier usage for Zandronum and Gzdoom without Drag and Drop your Files.

"7hm said:
He didn't include the IWads.."

Yes,

Doom can be found on Gog Doom and Doom2

Apenotis said:

yes but u need Doom.wad and Doom2.wad to play them.

No. You don't.

IWAD = standalone game. So no, you do not need either Doom 1 or 2 in order to play them. Still, seeing as Final Doom is still being sold, distributing them like this is not allowed, regardless if they are IWADs or PWADs.

Gee I'm so glad somebody is making money off the hundreds of hours I spent on something from 17 years ago. While the av.txt authorizes distribution, it was just boilerplate text that we probably didn't think too much about as teenagers.

I'm just speaking for myself right now and not the other, more involved, members of the team, but I think the distribution authorization was given in the spirit of people sharing with eachother- there was not this web landscape back then where companies were building user bases for the purpose of driving advertisement revenue or paid user accounts (with the exception of perhaps Fileplanet which evolved into such?). The "official" home of av lives on BahdKo's doom2.net which I doubt anyone has given her a dime for, all these years.

Maybe I"m being irrational here but still it creeps me out that something given in the spirit of freedom is now contributing to someone else's business plan.

This is essentially the Brutal Doom version of D!Zone. Thank you for capitalizing on our hobby.

I don't get it, how is he profitting?

Isn't this just a collection of wads and a launcher?

VGA said:

I don't get it, how is he profitting?

Isn't this just a collection of wads and a launcher?

The person who slapped these wads together isn't, but they contributed content (made by others with no relationship to them) to storage providers who make bank on advertisement revenue. They get money from advertisers as long as users click those ads, and they get users as long as they have content that cause users to visit their site.

It's a lot different than cdrom.com making money off hardcopies of the idgames archive or doomworld generating ad revenue, since they provide services to and have representatives from this very community.

I'm not trying to make a legal argument for copyright and I know these wads are probably sitting on hundreds of ad-driven servers. I'm just sayin fuck this moron

Do you mean Moddb and Mediafire? They make ad money but they offer their services, like file hosting.

This guy collected some wads he thought are cool, put them in a pack with a launcher and uploaded to sites that offer file hosting and images, comments and other functionality.

I don't understand why you are so hostile. Hmm, anyway, not a big deal ...

In addition to what Vorpal mentioned above, there are some other issues with this distribution:

1) You haven't included a number of text files (I'm not going to go through and check every single included wad, but Valiant, Sunlust, and BTSX e1/e2 are missing their text files, which is against their terms for redistribution). The text files contain important information regarding credit and copyright and shouldn't be excluded.

2) The version of Valiant you included isn't even compatible with Brutal Doom. Valiant should be considered a 'standalone' mod in your launcher. A Brutal Doom compatible version of Valiant is available here: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/valve

VGA said:

This guy collected some wads he thought are cool, put them in a pack with a launcher and uploaded to sites that offer file hosting and images, comments and other functionality.

With zero thought to the distribution rights of every single author involved, not to mention he started out straight up uploading commercial wads to begin with. It doesn't matter if he just thought he was doing something cool, he was doing it ignorantly and disrespectfully.

Apenotis said:

I'll fix it, I assumed that it was not standalone ...

Whether it was standalone or not changes absolutely nothing about how you have to pay for Final Doom in the first place. It's still a commercially sold product. If that's not a very good indicator as to if you can distribute it for free or not, I don't know what is.

What's the point in this? You can't just have links to the /idgames/ WADs and not repack them up in one big download?

And who is gonna download 1+ GB in one shot?