Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SyncError

DOOM on Clueless Gamer w/ Conan O'Brien

Touchdown said:

What is the Revenant cover that some of you refer to?

I think they mean this:-

I'm gonna go ahead and say this is why people dislike that boxart design -

When people call it "generic", they ain't kidding.

Funny, the Revenant version is not that much different from Marine but I like it so much better. I guess a screaming Skeleton blasting two shoulder cannons has a certain sex appeal to it.

I kinda hoped for that minimal black box cover with just DOOM written on it. Reading the title with nothing else in the cover just made a loud impact in my head, hard to explain it. But I love Conan O'Brien, had good laughs watching Clueless Gamer. It's weird though, arent the games on CG really really close to launch? Maybe Conan will reveal the release date!

The Doomguy with the SSG looks good on the cover, except that I'm disappointed that his suit is not any more green, and I also think the cover would look better with monsters in the background instead of the yellow fog, at least to me.

DoomUK said:

I think they mean this:-

Well that one at least is something clearly related to DOOM, unlike a stock badass dude in a power armor. The bottom half of the image is really cool, actually. Get rid of the Revenant, leave the burning background, add some weird architecture / shapes to the mix and bam, you've got a much better cover.

AirRaid said:

When people call it "generic", they ain't kidding.

Tell me about it. I didn't expect the cover art to be anything particulary original but holy crap, this is the most generic one they could come up with and will do a fantastic job of NOT standing out at all. Take the DOOM out of it and it can literally be any sci-fi action game. Takes me three years back to when IG revealed the box art for BioShock Infinite...

Like several people have said, it's apparently not final. It's a really dumb trope to fall on even for a mockup or whatever though.

[somewhat offtopic rant]I don't get why so many video game covers are so minimalist these days, to the point of being boring but at least it accurately represents their gameplay

You know game cover art is getting ridiculously uninspired when the fucking cover to Commander Keen of all things conveys so much more tension:

I know far from all modern games are guilty of this, but the cover art is just getting so lazy. I'm baffled it's still being done so frequently. I mean, look at the cover of Doom 1.. Yes, there's the badass hero with his guns looking 2kool4skool, but the art also gives you a sense of place, the hero is clearly in a desperate and tense situation. Allies are in short supply. Hell is taking over and humans are on their last leg. All of this is conveyed with the cover alone..

Punchatz's cover art is so filled with elegant detail that you can stare at the damn thing for ages before you've seen all it has to offer. It's so much more than just a close up of a dude with a gun, and the result is it says so much more about the game itself.

I'm not expecting Da Vinci, but seriously - A little artistic effort goes a long way in making your game look more appealing. I guess it doesn't matter as much now though what with all the digital downloads and massive scale preorders - A cover no longer has to 'sell' a game.

I know you shouldn't judge things by their cover art.. But isn't that the whole point of cover art?![/rant]

The placeholder gets the job done. No more no less. I wouldn't be too upset if it was the real cover but I am expecting more.

Lol, this cover is badass wise probably 1/10, while the original is still 100+

They shouldn't have made a stupid looking CoD cover because it now pretty is that generic cover of the day :/

Ultimate Doom cover

Chezza said:

Funny, the Revenant version is not that much different from Marine but I like it so much better. I guess a screaming Skeleton blasting two shoulder cannons has a certain sex appeal to it.

This

I know the Halo armor is a copy of Doom armor with a motocross helmet, but I think they could've colored the Doom helmet as more gray then green, that way the armor would look a bit less generic and more like classic Doom.
That's just me nitpicking it though.

Doomkid said:

[somewhat offtopic rant]I don't get why so many video game covers are so minimalist these days, to the point of being boring but at least it accurately represents their gameplay

You know game cover art is getting ridiculously uninspired when the fucking cover to Commander Keen of all things conveys so much more tension:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/88/Commander_Keen_in_Goodbye_Galaxy_title_screen.png

I know far from all modern games are guilty of this, but the cover art is just getting so lazy. I'm baffled it's still being done so frequently. I mean, look at the cover of Doom 1.. Yes, there's the badass hero with his guns looking 2kool4skool, but the art also gives you a sense of place, the hero is clearly in a desperate and tense situation. Allies are in short supply. Hell is taking over and humans are on their last leg. All of this is conveyed with the cover alone..

Punchatz's cover art is so filled with elegant detail that you can stare at the damn thing for ages before you've seen all it has to offer. It's so much more than just a close up of a dude with a gun, and the result is it says so much more about the game itself.

I'm not expecting Da Vinci, but seriously - A little artistic effort goes a long way in making your game look more appealing. I guess it doesn't matter as much now though what with all the digital downloads and massive scale preorders - A cover no longer has to 'sell' a game.

I know you shouldn't judge things by their cover art.. But isn't that the whole point of cover art?![/rant]

I understand completely. The Doom2 box cover, especially, sent my imagination to far greater heights than anything I've seen after, all the way up to today.

I find it disappointing that boxart doesn't mean anything anymore, except to us old farts. They're disposable basically, it's like, just make something relevant, don't bother with creativity or anything.

I mean, the game is called DOOM. Both 1 and 2 featured the goddamn hero seconds before being inevitably killed. That's fucking raw and nihilistic as fuck. I love it. Really, it seems that old games used to show you the middle of the action in the box art. Now it's like they want to show you the aftermath, which is boring.

Seriously, it's just a Box, you can't play with it, you can't eat it, you simply put your CD Back in it .

I really like the new Doomguy design! Not too retro, but with recognisable parts. Cool silhouette, I like how they added some asymmetrical armor parts.

As for cover artwork: yeah, the game deserves some better cover artwork.

I like the cover but I understand why some people think it looks like all the others.

Maybe they will have multiple styles? I personally would like to see the Ultimate Doom cover just be redone with the New Doom.

Also, Marketing. There is a reason why they pick certain styles and colors. Cereal boxes for example are mostly colored red because it attracts kids more so than other colors.

I was convinced they wouldn't release it during Spring, let alone in mid-May. I'm glad I was wrong about it. I'm also glad the pre-order bonuses are just MP crap so no SP content was cut.

And yeah, that hideous box art is the final one (well the hope that it wasn't final didn't last long now did it?). Obviously the better one with the Revenant is only for people willing to drop $100+ on a game.

Interestingly the box art is a lot more ugly than it should be. Maybe that's just a compression issue or something but compare it to this (right click to see it in full res). This close-up has much better, less saturated colors and is actually looking decent. I like the design but as a box art... it just screams Halo or Call of Duty to me. It's so bland, ugh...