Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SyncError

DOOM on Clueless Gamer w/ Conan O'Brien

Waypoints confirmed (see top).

I sure hope they're disabled on higher difficulty levels. I'm assuming this also most likely means there won't be an automap, which is a real shame.

Chainsawing the Baron was entirely worth it. The segment went pretty much how I expected. Personally, I would have liked to see more Conan reaction shots to the executions.

RikohZX said:

they focused more on the gags and the NFL co-stars than the actual game itself

A. It is Super Bowl weekend. They did the same thing last year with MKX.
B. Bethesda/id likely had some influence on what could or could not be shown. Even if they weren't in on the editing, they probably only provided a couple short levels.

Especially since the tech guy could actually play games compared to these three.

That would kind of defeat the purpose of the segment. You'll be able to watch people who are good at the game on Youtube come release date.

chubz said:

I sure hope they're disabled on higher difficulty levels. I'm assuming this also most likely means there won't be an automap, which is a real shame.

Of course it is. Let's hope it is optional on any difficulty.

rampancy said:

doomkid,

ur commander keen reference brought to mind being young and looking at old atari game boxes with my dad at sears and old pc rpgs where they would have these super detailed painted artworks for covers, and then u get the game home and it looks like indistinguishable pixels lol...

ahh the good old days. back in the pre internet days box art was all u had to go on.

I find it amusing that, as in-game art gets more and more detailed, cover art gets more and more basic. VR games 10 years from now will just have plain black boxes with the game's title in Arial font, and the actual games themselves will contain massively detailed worlds. I find that thought to be hilarious for whatever reason.

RikohZX said:

This was kinda pointless. We got to see new footage, but because of the advertising crap involved and so forth, they focused more on the gags and the NFL co-stars than the actual game itself, making it feel more like a hollow attempt to try to rack up the views. Especially since the tech guy could actually play games compared to these three.

Yes it would have been much better if Aaron Bleyaert played with Conan. Then they would have focused on the game and jokes would be more based on the game it self.

sleepii said:

-graphically the game looked not that great from seeing it in action vs seeing screenshots of it. The textures of the demons seemed a bit too sharp and edgy

I agree, hopefully they played a Ps4 build.

Hofmann said:

To all who complain that the executions will slow down the pace:
It appears that the executions are much faster than in the E3 demo!

There are upgrades that not only make them faster but also give you a speed boost.

quakke said:

Reminds me quite much of this, which is good to see that id are paying all kinds of homages with Doom 4.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100610083426/quake/images/thumb/3/37/Ranger.jpg/830px-Ranger.jpg

I see it too!

chubz said:

This tells you A LOT about how linear the level design will be. Also, someone confirmed from the video that there will be on-screen waypoint markers to prevent you from ever getting lost.

This was a disappointing Clueless Gamer, and easily has the lowest amount of gameplay shown out of all of them so far.
Could've been a really great one, instead it was more about those playing it.

TheGamePhilosophe said:

This tells you A LOT about how linear the level design will be. Also, someone confirmed from the video that there will be on-screen waypoint markers to prevent you from ever getting lost.

hopefully the waypoints are objective based so there is some adventuring, and hopefully they can be turned off. what might be cool is if u had to find the hidden map pickup oldschool style and then u get a limited amount of map data but not all the secret stuff...

Doomkid said:

I find it amusing that, as in-game art gets more and more detailed, cover art gets more and more basic. VR games 10 years from now will just have plain black boxes with the game's title in Arial font, and the actual games themselves will contain massively detailed worlds. I find that thought to be hilarious for whatever reason.

i pray to God that we still get boxes in 10 years...

TheGamePhilosophe said:

It doesn't tell us shit about level design. Don't be ridiculous. Besides previous coverage has noted that exploration will be a big part of the game and that it wont be as linear. Now if that turns out to be false then I'll eat my words but until then I ain't going off about stuff I ain't even seen yet.

I am still hoping I can turn that compass off.

I don't understand why developers need to put them in games. Remember the coins from Super Mario? Often their placement suggested the most optimal route throughout the level. I do the same with health and armor bonuses in my map. Compases are not needed.

Some new footage. The game seems a lot faster than e3 2015 we have seen. But, what the hell.... you see the terrible aiming with the controller? This game is obviously 2 fast for a controller or the player could not handle the speed.

magma86 said:

Some new footage. The game seems a lot faster than e3 2015 we have seen. But, what the hell.... you see the terrible aiming with the controller? This game is obviously 2 fast for a controller or the player could not handle the speed.

Yeah, I want to see proper, uninterrupted gameplay without that ridiculous slow camera movement.

TheGamePhilosophe said:

DooM_RO said:

Yeah, I want to see proper, uninterrupted gameplay without that ridiculous slow camera movement.

I dont know what difficulty they played on, but at the end you could see the death menu for a few seconds. Checkpoint is there. If you rememeber, Stratton said that "in the easier difficulties there will be checkpoints". I guess he means all under nightmare?

I really hope they put back save and load-game and the ability to turn off "quest-markers" and objectives. I dont want to play a rpg, i just want 2 shoot things. I understand its on the consoles by default, but on pc you should be able to turn it off, imo. And, anybody else noticed there was no music on? Maybe its not finished yet?

Well, we are about 3 months away from release date and even shorter from a beta. I hope they let us play 1-2 levels in the singelplayer. That would be great.

magma86 said:

I dont know what difficulty they played on, but at the end you could see the death menu for a few seconds. Checkpoint is there. If you rememeber, Stratton said that "in the easier difficulties there will be checkpoints". I guess he means all under nightmare?

I really hope they put back save and load-game and the ability to turn off "quest-markers" and objectives. I dont want to play a rpg, i just want 2 shoot things. I understand its on the consoles by default, but on pc you should be able to turn it off, imo. And, anybody else noticed there was no music on? Maybe its not finished yet?

Well, we are about 3 months away from release date and even shorter from a beta. I hope they let us play 1-2 levels in the singelplayer. That would be great.

Yeah, my ideal Beta would be 3 MP maps and 1 or 2 SP maps plus a bit of Snapmap.

I think the waypoints only tell you where your main objective is, but don't tell you where the keys are, or where else you need to go for that objective to be accessible. It's an acceptable compromise imo.

From this gameplay, the game sounds like it's going to be all about Going straight forward and killing :P

However I Liked the death animations, It was a disappointment that it was cut from Doom 3, Now it's back, with even more animations ;) .

Since there's two kind of mancubi I hope those yellow/blue imps are different variation, like "juvenile" version found in hell. I like the brown/grey ones alot.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

However I Liked the death animations, It was a disappointment that it was cut from Doom 3, Now it's back, with even more animations ;) .

I'm pretty sure that was the only one ever and it was made in that alpha build purely for the demonstrations, it was never going to be in the game.

chubz said:

[url]http://i.imgur.com/7BNyyEu.png

Automap is confirmed to actually be in the game, or then the guy translated one of those german articles is a lier.

PCGames.de

" - keycards are back, levels are larger and have many levels and areas. often you look down to areas you haven't been or cannot access yet, and have to find a way to access. after 15 years of linear shooters, it felt very fresh, to the point that it sometimes seems too complex at first if you are used to call of duty or halo

- automap is back, and he mentions it also shows where you have to go in some cases

- it is nothing like linear "hose-levels", also of course not open world, but more like arena. he compares it a little bit to God of War. You arrive at a certain point, the doors close, monsters rush in, you kill em, the doors open. (YUCK!!! I like it in Zelda, but please not in Doom!!!!). He continues to say that this is what gamers wanted from the new Doom (......uhm.....not me...damn, why are they all mentioning arena gameplay? I don't like that :( )

- there is no aiming-down-the-sight (I only translate...don't kill me...)
"

I'm also fairly sure that this onscreen waypoint marker can be disabled. And I really doubt the level design is gonna be linear based on A, analysis that I did for UAC map, B how many german articles have now indicated it's antithessis of CoD and Halo map design, aka complex classic style.

Originally meant to post that the Doom 4 cover art has kinda grown on me. I now actually kinda like it.