Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tolwyn

[SOLVED] PRBoom+ and Hi-Res Textures

I've Googled and Read.
Aside from it SAYING it works, I couldn't find a tutorial.

I have the HI_START and HI_END markers as briefly mentioned here:

In addition to all aforementioned PrBoom+ features, in OpenGL mode PrBoom+ can also use:

• ZDoom-style high-resolution textures/flats/sprites (replacements located between HI_START and HI_END markers)
• Support for PNG and DDS formats for high-res textures

I have 1 hi-res / 24bit and 1 32bit PNG file in between these markers (for testing).

IF I DO NOT also have Doom2 GFX patches of the same name between P_START and P_END markers, of course, the PWAD won't load.

So...

How does this work? The HI-RES textures aren't being substituted.

In the TEXTURES1 entry, I'm using the Doom GFX patches... so just not sure by what METHOD substitutions occur.

The high res replacements do not work for patches, they work for textures. It might be easier with an example, so I'm going to take the example of RW39_1, the green techbase patch with a yellow light at the top.

RW39_1 is used to create the TEKGREN5 texture. If I want to replace it with a high res texture, I'll have to name the high res texture TEKGREN5, not RW39_1.

The normal-resolution texture must still exist normally! First, because PrBoom+ in software mode doesn't support high res textures, it's only GLBoom+ which has this extra. And secondly because the scaled dimensions will be the same: TEKGREN5 is a 64x128 texture, so if my high-res TEKGREN5 is 128x256, the engine will be able to tell the resolution is doubled, and if it's 256x512 it'll be able to tell it's quadrupled, etc. If it's some odd dimensions like 300x800, the engine will do the math to get the right factors.

At least, this is how I believe it should work. There is one example you can look at, voodoo guns. Though maybe the example isn't that clear because it tends to use the same name for patch and texture (e.g. BLINDS01). Anyway if when you play vg.wad the high-res textures work, then they should also work in your wad.

There are options (in the in-game menu and in the cf) to "enable internal hi-res" and "enable external hi-res" (gl_texture_internal_hires and gl_texture_external_hires in cfg terms). Have you set them appropriately?

Oh good grief.

DUH.

Thank you sir.

And I think I knew this, having WRITTEN THE DAMN BOOK on it.

Geeze. Thanks.

Kids... Don't do drugs. You forget things.

Grazza said:

There are options (in the in-game menu and in the cf) to "enable internal hi-res" and "enable external hi-res" (gl_texture_internal_hires and gl_texture_external_hires in cfg terms). Have you set them appropriately?

Yes these are all correct, I'm just getting old. Gez set me right. I had honestly just forgotten that you substitute the TEXTURE1 name. No reason to build new textures with HI-res patches... Gah.