Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
4shockblast

Question about Stroller rules

Recently, I found out that having vert mouse while walking results in movement above walk speed on certain tics while turning (up to normal run speed IIRC from XDRE). This means that any Stroller using vert mouse is technically invalid, something not mentioned in the rules listed on Doom Wiki. However, an alternative way to generate walk-speed forward/backward movement tics is -turbo 50, something that Kristian Ronge said he used in the original Stroller pack (this doesn't generate the same value tics for strafe movement, but that's not allowed in Stroller anyway). With -turbo 50, vert mouse does not generate tics above 25. Is this legal for Stroller demos, or should vert mouse just be completely disallowed?

I had two demos recorded with walking/vert mouse for the Perdition's Gate demo pack, and I redid them with -turbo 50/vert mouse, and I'm not sure whether I should release the first set of demos, second set of demos, or just remove those demos from the demo pack entirely as invalid.

The point of stroller is that you don't care about the monsters, so why should anyone care about some accidental mouse movement velocity...

Linguica said:

The point of stroller is that you don't care about the monsters, so why should anyone care about some accidental mouse movement velocity...

Well the point of stroller is pacifist, no strafe, no run, so the existence of tics above walking speed is kind of a problem.

I think that vert mouse is kind of important, for glides etc, so I'm kind of leaning on using -turbo 50 as a standard, but that feels kind of...weird. The alternative is that either you can't use vert mouse, which isn't so great, or you can, in which case there'd be a weird meta of using vert mouse to improve your time with turns, if I understand what you mean here. Neither of those sound good, so ya, I guess -turbo 50 might be the better option.

Using -turbo 50 is very standard for Stroller demos, and has, I suppose, been used for most Stroller demos so far. It was recommended by AdamH when there was a compet-n contest, and was used by Kristian (as you mention) and myself for the original Stroller pack, and all that I have since recorded (I'd guess the same goes for Kristian).

Yes, if you don't use -turbo 50 then you should disable forward mouse movement, as tics with GF/GB>25 are not allowed.

Ling: once it is a demo category, some precise rules are required. Level playing field and all that.

Edit: I realize that what I wrote in the Stroller pack contradicts what I said above, heh. Back then I didn't use vertical mouse movement, so avoiding running was sufficient to avoid any illegal GF/GB>25 tics. As soon as I started using low vertical sensitivity (as I have for the last ten years or so), I used -turbo 50 for any subsequent Stroller demos.

Edit2: Yes, the rules should be more clearly stated. I think that when Strolling got started, most people used novert, so there wasn't much of an issue. AdamH's precise definition can be found on this page (under "A Walk in the Park").

Grazza said:

Using -turbo 50 is very standard for Stroller demos, and has, I suppose, been used for most Stroller demos so far.

I think the description for stroller on dsda needs to be changed then (Stroller - UV Pacifist without running or strafing.) None of my stroller demos use -turbo 50, although I don't think any used mouse movement either, so that's not really a problem I guess.