Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Coraline

nxDoom source?

Hi guys,

Anyone have the nxDoom source code? It was a Dreamcast port that was pretty well done, including VMU saving and sound/music. I checked the Doom wiki but it seems the page it links to is completely dead.

I've been working on porting 3DGE to Dreamcast for some time with good results, but video memory has been an issue lately. Since nxDoom seems fairly stable, I'd like to check out that source code and see if anything can be adapted to the SH-ELF branch of 3DGE. The big thing, of course, is that 3DGE is OpenGL and uses libGL from KallistiOS - and saving memory with a console that's only 16MB core and 8MB Video RAM is pretty important.

Anywho, let's find that source code and upload it somewhere safe, yes?

Are you sure, that the source was ever made available? My memory may be unclear, but i can not remember ever seeing the source.

https://web.archive.org/web/20041205233905/http://files.frashii.com/~sp00nz/Doom/download.php#Ports

On that snapshot, which is the last working version, on the archive, two zipfiles are mentioned, and i have both of them, but none of them contain any source code.

Chu said:

Hi guys,

Anyone have the nxDoom source code? It was a Dreamcast port that was pretty well done, including VMU saving and sound/music. I checked the Doom wiki but it seems the page it links to is completely dead.

I've been working on porting 3DGE to Dreamcast for some time with good results, but video memory has been an issue lately. Since nxDoom seems fairly stable, I'd like to check out that source code and see if anything can be adapted to the SH-ELF branch of 3DGE. The big thing, of course, is that 3DGE is OpenGL and uses libGL from KallistiOS - and saving memory with a console that's only 16MB core and 8MB Video RAM is pretty important.

Anywho, let's find that source code and upload it somewhere safe, yes?

I was in constant contact with the author, mailing him hardware, suggestions, and the like, so if there are sources, I should in theory have them laying around on one of my hard drives somewhere around here. I'll do some searching, but I am pretty sure that I never had them.

Are you connected with the Hypertension project?

EDIT:

Also, if you can find a guy on various gaming forums by the name of Law56ker, he might possibly have the sources also, or might know how to contact the author, BlackAura, per chance.

Hi Breeder, yes - Hypertension and Slave.

Is Law56ker on dcemulation? I *think* I remember who he is, I just can't remember what Dreamcast forum it was. I have an account on all major Dreamcast boards so I will try him first.

Just concerned because if those ports were based on the DOOM GPL re-release, the sources need to be publicly available. If not then whatever I guess.

I can get the original DCDoom source from chilly, but I think I have it somewhere. I don't think he has nxDoom though. Both ports always show up in homebrew-sold discs (!!!)..

However, nxDoom is far more interesting to me. I will crawl and see if BlackAura is still around or if I could contact him.

Its not like I can directly adapt anything anyways (pretty sure its not GL-based and its certainly not EDGE), but it should give me a better idea on how to adapt to hardware.

Don't even get me started on the DOOM Legacy/SRB2 SH4 ports...ugh. And Legacy's OpenGL stuff is so..archaic. Very hard to read and its all hacked together (though, no ill will intended). I can't imagine how they even managed to get that running through kos-ports' libGL...

Yes, he is on dcemulation. Back then, even BlackAura and XDelusion (who maintained the website for nxDoom) was registered on dcemulation.

Chu said:

I checked the Doom wiki but it seems the page it links to is completely dead.

Thanks for the notice, I've archived the link to point here now.

Gez said:

Thanks for the notice, I've archived the link to point here now.

Blast from the past! My page got backed up, nice! :)