Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

Small moments in Doom that make you smile

So, I wanted to make a thread that's all about things that happen in Doom that you enjoy for whatever reason. Get some good vibes flowin'.

Mine is watching a Demon take down an enemy. I mean good lord Demons are just the most pitiful things, but during ALT's MAP12 a demon cornered a Mastermind and was going hog-wild, working his jaw like his life depended on it. He didn't kill it, but he probably got close, and I was proud of him in that for a brief second.

Another one I can think of is rocketing hordes of imps. Never gets old. Oh, and witnessing really bizarre texture combinations. Not ugly combinations, just things that you would've never personally put together (SHAWN & ZIMMER? Yes plz)

When rocket tear on the parts imps or zombies :D
When in berserker style I'm killing pinkies by one hit all the time
When from Revenant's rocket and Hell Knight projectile i get the most weakest damage.
When one shot from BFG can kill Spider Mastermind.
When I'm watching infighting between Bosses and mini-bosses
When I killed 10000 monsters
When... I'm playing

When I hide around a corner or behind a door and I can bear some infighting mayhem. Usually you can tell who s fighting who by the sounds :D

Also when the SSG reloads and gibs an enemy just as he is about to fire at me.

I also like surviving a battle with low health and then scavenging back through the map for health and armor.

Shooting a rocket into a crowd of zombiemen and having them all gib simultaneously covering the walls in blood. That is absolutely glorious. One of my favorite things about Doom.

Demons getting rare kills or getting killed by a stray projectile in the dumbest possible way.

I love monster infights. Especially when the underdog wins, like Caco vs Hell knight and the Caco wins, or even more rare when the monsters both die from each other's final shot.

VGA said:

When I hide around a corner or behind a door and I can bear some infighting mayhem. Usually you can tell who s fighting who by the sounds :D

And who's winning :D

Infighting is indeed one of my favorite parts of the game. I'm not sure if it had been in any other games up to that point but none that I had played. It's such a unique thing that fits right in, since the monsters aren't normal soldiers. They are apparently different species, have different methods of attack, and seem to have mere animalistic intelligence and would naturally be easily provoked.

- Finding a very well designed secrets in custom wads.
- Taking out multiple arachnotrons or mancubi with one BFG shot.
- Barons killing a cyberdemon.

That's pretty much it.

When I killed an arch-vile with my super shotgun, and every SSG shots made it scream in pain.

Finding that last secret.
Multigibbing shotgun guys with the SSG.
Just straferunning around maps at warp speed.

I always love it when a level includes some sort of environmental indicator as to what the Demons had been doing before you got there, even if it's as simple as them all standing around a corpse to make you think they'd been feeding. Also, crappy incremental supplies like clips and armour helmets littered around marine corpses always make me smile, makes me feel like I'm playing my fave old RPGs like Ultima Underworld, where a dying enemy ejected their entire inventory and left it strewn around their cadaver.

Lost Soul blowing up itself by charging into a barrel which then explodes. Especially if the barrel is behind me and the Lost Soul in front of me, and I dodge the Lost Soul's attack, turn around and see this happening.

When a monster obligingly wanders near a barrel and then get blown up.
Gibbing imps and zombies with the berserk punch.
Killing an enemy by berserk punching a barrel towards it (barrel gets pushed back quite far with berserk, enough that if you backtrack a bit it'll explode safely out of range of damaging you). Bonus points if you get stuff like berserk punching a barrel into another barrel that kills the monster, etc. The more Rube-Goldbergian, the better.
Luring revenant fireballs to collide on barons, arch-viles, cyberdemons...
Gathering a big mass of multiple homing fireballs, then using it to insta-kill a cyberdemon; bonus: insta killing the cybie after it has dispatched all the revenants for you.
Berserk punching a hell knight to death without taking a lick.
Getting out of crazy chaotic ambushes without getting hit. Especially if there are hitscanners in the crowd, because then it's basically pure chance.
Chainsawing a cacodemon.
Luring monsters inside crushers. Then hitting them just enough to prevent them from getting out.
Monsters blowing themselves up with barrels.
Crappy weak monsters taking out a strong big monster (BaronOfStuff's gif is a good example).
Discovering something like 500 shotguns in an area because there were zombies and an archvile and they spend a lot of time infighting while you were busy further away.

I like it when monsters get lost in the map and their random meanderings make you find them in totally unexpected places. That was one of the things I always loved about doom when I first played it, you could almost believe they were conscious beings.

I also love it when I find a berserk pack after struggling through a map on low health, its almost like the map knew I was in trouble and decided to help me out.

Great thread idea.

I love it when monsters blow themselves up on barrels, especially chaingunners.

But what takes the cake, for me, is when chaingunners just fire nonstop at a target that they can see but can't actually hit. It just goes on and on and on. Bonus points if two chaingunners fire at each other this way, which I've witnessed before.

And I always enjoy these two as well:

scifista42 said:

Lost Soul blowing up itself by charging into a barrel which then explodes. Especially if the barrel is behind me and the Lost Soul in front of me, and I dodge the Lost Soul's attack, turn around and see this happening.

(I've never actually witnessed this specific one, but lost souls charging into their death in general.)

dobu gabu maru said:

Mine is watching a Demon take down an enemy.

Mine is very simple.

Watching an imp fly while turning to into mush (berserker punch). Gets better when it falls off the edge. :)

Jimmy said:

Arch-viles suiciding at the hands of their own pyrokinesis.

This is the best. Especially if you live through it!

I like when chaingunners take a hit from a stronger monster and live, and then open fire and pain-lock their assailant to death.

sweet thread :)
I like when cacodemons infight each other
finding a secret that you really need

one thing happens to me recently: in heretic's e3m1 there is a room with a bars in the very beginning. in the room there is a disciple and outside there is an undead warrioir just right at the bars. ofk infighting is happening, but undead warrioir did not shoot through the bars. instead, he walked around the room to the door, wich was locked with a key. oh man, he was really angry! he tried to push the door to get to that damn disciple. so I descided to help him. I played through the level, found the key and opened the door so he finally can have his revenge. and he does! that was really cool moment, i didn't even killed him afterwards

-When a Cybie infights lost souls and hurts himself with his rockets
-Whenever i hear the dying sound of a Hellknight
-When the Mastermind get crushed in MAP06
-When a caco infights with imps
-When i kill one powerful demon from the Realm667 bestiary, like the Archon of Hell, the Bruiser demon or the Azazel, it feels really satisfying watch their death animations after unloading a ton of plasma at them

When i see a Revenant.
When i 2-shot with the sg a demon or a spectre, possible but rare, but very satisfying.
When i gib a imp with the berserker powerup, very satisfying.
The cacodemon hiss sound and when it dies, makes me laugh.
The sounds the HKnight and BHell make when they see me and they die, i laugh at 'em.
And when i beat the Revenant in a Punch-Out under the effects of berserk.

Winged_Warrior said:

-When a Cybie infights lost souls and hurts himself with his rockets

He doesn't - Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind are immune to all splash damage.

J.B.R said:

When i 2-shot with the sg a demon or a spectre, possible but rare, but very satisfying.

The probability of this happening is almost perfectly 50%, assuming none of the shotgun pellets misses him.

When I am down to just 1-2 shotgun shells and maybe 10% health and Ifind both a box of shotgun shells & health before my next monster battle. It's doubly awesome when I stubmled onto a secret in my desperation.

-Successfully stunning an archvile
-Infighting of any kind(unless it involves a pain elemental)
-Shooting pinkies with the SSG
-Lead bukkake. That is, when you get a monster between you and a Commando, and you're both firing your chainguns at him.
-Berserk punching imps and pinkies(zombies too, but it's more risky, so I avoid it)
-Surviving a slaughtermap
-Watching enemies being crushed and gibbed by the ceiling

HorrorMovieGuy said:

-Lead bukkake. That is, when you get a monster between you and a Commando, and you're both firing your chainguns at him.

Yes, I like this too. Specially if the middle monster gets into infighting with the Chaingunner and not me, so that if the monster occasionally retaliates and attacks, it doesn't attack me.