Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RaphaelMode

micromaps / altmaps

I am going to post pieces of my brain that are to small for many different thraeds, here.

For today, I will give you:
No Weapons
Limit Removing (maybe even vanilla?)
Map 28

I am not sure how to describe the technique used here. Cellular mapping. Or mapping ad nausea? Nevertheless it is a perfectly gameplayable map. No difficulty levels though.

I haerd that horseshoe layouts are the best. So I made this level horseshoe shaped. The objective is just to get to the other side of the horseshoe.

I played the first one for about 5 minutes until I died because I got sandwiched between two chaingunners. At that point I did IDDTIDDT and decided to quit because I felt I'd spent more time playing it than you did making it :p

Seriously, it's just one small sector copy and pasted over and over again in a pattern. Once you've seen the start, there's nothing really else to experience.

If you like that kind of thing though you might want to check out WadC, which is a programming language for maps. It's good at making procedural type stuff. Original WadC author Aardappel made a hexagonal map that is probably the most well-known use of it. MAP32 of 10 Sectors.

The second one was better but still not especially interesting. It's basically a small puzzle followed by a big open room fight. With no health, it was much safer to hang back and let the monsters infight a whole bunch before actually joining the party, but this isn't especially engaging gameplay. The architecture was also pretty raw. Still it was entertaining + short enough that I played it through. FDA if you want it: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3pe4if4voplz5yd/phantasmdelight_plm-fda.lmp

Basically, I feel like good speedmapping is about efficiency, and not getting bogged down in details, but these maps seem more about just not wanting to put much work into making a level. Sorry if that's harsh, I'm sure you'll improve as you keep at it, but I think maybe you should take the time you need to hone your skills instead of trying to complete things quickly.

It is a good point that the tread title was completely mislaeding. These maps are generally jsut singular ideas.

0aa0b13s
Vanilla, map 1. It really looks like a classic map for someone to play. Only short.

Blatant Mystery
Limit removing, map 16. (i think you can't 300% it in vanilla)

RaphaelMode said:

It is a good point that the tread title was completely mislaeding. These maps are generally jsut singular ideas.

0aa0b13s
Vanilla, map 1. It really looks like a classic map for someone to play. Only short.

That weird maze you have is cool in its quirkiness. I missed it in my playthrough.

RaphaelMode said:

0aa0b13s

Nice map, the nuke secret maze is a nice touch. Not a big fan of that "Joe-Ilya-ish" midi...

RaphaelMode said:

Blatant Mystery
Limit removing, map 16. (i think you can't 300% it in vanilla)

Nice map, i've eventually activated the monster but... don't killed it from the secret place that was set....

Overall nice little maps, i was thinking to do a similar thing with a compilations of speedmaps i've made for rwdpa event plus other new maps...