Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Six

Obituaries

Call me cynical if you like, but do we really need to hear about the death of every "celebrity" passing here in Everything Else? It just seems to have escalated a bit here since David Bowie and Alan Rickman were announced.

No offence to those who are just trying to show some respect, but this isn't Facebook. It's sad when someone dies yes, but minor celebrities? If even that. It might just be me, but i don't really want to come into Everything Else and just see a continuous list of "x person died" because death happens all around us, it doesn't always need to be brought to our attention.

I don't come here to be depressed.

It just seems a bit much to me, that's all.

I think this thread is a good idea. Just my 2 cents, but it would definitely reduce the clutter of the first page of the Everything Else forum getting filled with "celebrity/known person died" threads...

Jaxxoon R said:

Okay, I'll make sure not to post when you die, just for you. K, babe?

The fact you'd even know about it somehow.

The point i was trying to make is, yes people die, but i don't believe we need to know every time it happens, at least in terms of minor celebrities (or at least what is considered minor).

If a popular Doomworld member dies it's different. That person could've been a close friend or someone you interacted with at some stage. As a thread, that would hold more value because they were part of our community.

If people would rather they knew, that's ok. I just thought that in excess it's a bit much.

Six said:

The fact you'd even know about it somehow.

The fact you're giving a stupid quip as much attention as you seem.

Not at all really. I just elaborated to make a clearer point.

Quip aside, and invaluable as this thread is, it was just a small attempt to see how others feel about the numerous obituaries stacking up here these past 2 months. As i say, significance/importance plays a strong role. If the person isn't considered to be within these two factors, is it at all necessary to bring attention to it?

More people might say yes, but it would be interesting to see regardless.

We, as a community, have suddenly decided that every death should be documented in this online vestige of classic gaming. Show some respect.

[DUMB] DAE REMEMBER THE BFG?
[DUMB] IF YOU COULD BE ANY MONSTER WHICH ONE WOULD YOU BE
[DUMB] SOMEBODY SHOULD MAKE A HALO DOOM!
[DUMB] ARE GIRLS TURNED OFF BY "SLOW" GUYS

I don't see how these obituary posts are worse than the usual dreck of the EE forum. What's the problem?

Well, i would argue different subject matter. Obituaries are just specific to "x has died, RIP" in most instances.

We had one experience in the past with a cluster of 'what if' threads that people eventually started to mock. This isn't any different in terms of frequency, but it was clear that people saw it become too much. Thread quality doesn't tend to come into it a great deal.

When Ozzy Osbourne dies I'm making a thread about it whether you guys like it or not.

RUSH said:

When Ozzy Osbourne dies I'm making a thread about it whether you guys like it or not.

As if we won't hear about it everywhere else as well. Here's one from a few weeks ago, heard it on the radio on my way to work. I didn't mention it here because I assumed someone else might post about it. You'd think a bunch of nerds would notice the death of the grandfather of A.I.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/26/business/marvin-minsky-pioneer-in-artificial-intelligence-dies-at-88.html?_r=0

Enough already. People die.

Maybe we just need a solid passings thread like I've seen on other forums. A thread where we can just mention every passing we come across.

Major individuals could get their own.

This thread is stupid, because it asks us to shut up instead of venting our grief and sympathy. Like it's wrong to comment on the loss of some great celebrity, and what is left after their demise.

Who cares how famous the people were that died? Was Glenn Frey (as an example) less worthy of a thread/post mentioning his passing than some "A" list celeb? I love The Eagles' music and if that hadn't had it's own thread I wouldn't have found out about that until I'd seen my one friend (with good taste in music) that talked to me about it because apparently nowadays people are more concerned with musicians that aren't even musicians.

I guess I'm unlike most people in that I would rather see a new thread for it so on the off-chance that I do even go into EE I can quickly see the person's name in the thread title. So I don't even have to click on the thread to know at least that it happened.

I suppose if this thread hits off and you (Six) either constantly updated the OP or preferably the thread title I'd say it's a good move, but unless you, or someone else, wants to become the "obituary writer" I just can't see that happening.

I realize re-reading this that there's a bit of irony in what I've just said; perhaps I could have worded it better but I hope my point is clear enough.

I once started a thread for the passing of Gottfried John the actor who played General Ourumov in Goldeneye but it had no replies so it just goes to show you that threads about the deaths of lesser known actors probably shouldn't be done.

printz said:

Like it's wrong to comment on the loss of some great celebrity...

Sometimes it's entirely subjective. You might have a great interest in a fairly unknown writers work, but if they died and you decided to spread the word here in a small gaming community about Doom, chances are people will either not know who you're talking about and perhaps won't even care.

I never said it was wrong to declare the death of someone you either appreciated or cared about, all i said was that it seems excessive to declare deaths left right and centre. Importance of these people entirely depends on their influence in the world and their popularity. Chances are, if they weren't big names like David Bowie, you're not going to get much of a response.

By all means, make more threads about people dying. All i said was to consider the reaction, or lack thereof. Some people will see it as clutter no matter how you feel, it's just the way it is.

I was by no means trying to silence anyone, it was just my my 2 cents.