Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Plasma Gun

[UPDATED] The DOOM System Upgrade Thread

The most significant difference is that it's on a current platform. The one you selected is two generations behind.

Granted unless you go for a higher end motherboard you probably won't see many of the new features offered by the newer chipsets anyway.

Take that for what you will.

Okay so my new build isn't specifically for the new Doom, but it does coincide with Doom's release very well.

PC Build
Red & White NZXT Phantom Case
Intel i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
32GB DDR4 1833Mhz RAM
1TB Samsung SSD

Peripherals:
Logitech G600 20-button Gaming Mouse
Logitech G510s Gaming Keyboard
Iiyama G-Master Red Eagle 27" 1080p 144hz monitor
Some random Acer 23" monitor

Plasma Gun said:

The Fury is fast, but like the GTX 980 in NVIDIA's lineup, perf/$ falls off pretty hard compared to the AMD 390X.

I would recommend this instead if you want to go AMD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150727&cm_re=390x-_-14-150-727-_-Product

At 1920x1080, the Fury is only 7.6% faster than the 390X on average (see:https://tpucdn.com/reviews/Sapphire/R9_Fury_Tri-X_OC/images/perfrel_1920.gif and at 2560x1440 it's ~11.4% faster than the 390X.

But it costs $540 versus $350 and to boot the Fury has less VRAM (4GB vs 8GB).

I'd recommend getting the 390X and pocketing the difference and putting it towards your next GPU several years down the line :)

I debated between those two for weeks but settled on Sapphire Nitro Fury. Mainly because it's 4gig hbm instead of ddr5. Originally I was going to get the R9 nano but decided to go with Fury. Expensive purchase but not one I regret.

Bump, hope everybody who asked for help in upgrading their systems for Doom is enjoying the game!

Now that the game is out and that benchmarks have been run, we now have a really good idea of what it takes to run Doom at various quality settings.

If you're having trouble playing the game and want to upgrade, please continue posting here!

I will update the OP with helpful information as well as a FAQ in the coming days.

Just wanted to post about system reqs for playing in 4K with ultra settings. I have had good luck playing on an i7 5930K with 2x GTX980ti's. I was considering shelling out for the new 1080's, but with some luck in overclocking the CPU, GPUs, and monitor I have managed to get over 60fps with vsync enabled (I hate tearing). The pretty great news is that if you have a 980ti setup that you built for gaming, with a bit of tweaking, luck, and proper cooling, you can skip the upgrade and still do DOOM in 4K at ultra settings.

System:
5930K@4.7ghz
2x980ti's@1500mhz
Samsung 4K monitor@67fps

system in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxy94D26oP4

ir88ed said:

Just wanted to post about system reqs for playing in 4K with ultra settings. I have had good luck playing on an i7 5930K with 2x GTX980ti's. I was considering shelling out for the new 1080's, but with some luck in overclocking the CPU, GPUs, and monitor I have managed to get over 60fps with vsync enabled (I hate tearing). The pretty great news is that if you have a 980ti setup that you built for gaming, with a bit of tweaking, luck, and proper cooling, you can skip the upgrade and still do DOOM in 4K at ultra settings.

System:
5930K@4.7ghz
2x980ti's@1500mhz
Samsung 4K monitor@67fps

Nice, I cant wait to get a 1080 so I can play Doom on my 4K 60" TV, lol!

ir88ed said:

System:
5930K@4.7ghz
2x980ti's@1500mhz
Samsung 4K monitor@67fps

You will get even better performances after the Vulkan patch. Save your money.

I have GTX 1080 FE and i can say in 1080p and everything maxed out (nightmare texture) witch TSSAAx8. I have constant 60fps even in multiplayer.

My custom built system is 6 years old and DOOM was the first game it choked on quite badly in minimum settings. I think a gfx card replacement would do me fine, but I'm not going to upgrade for a number of months yet until all the new AMD and nVidia lines are released and have reviews and the prices come down to nominal levels. I'm looking at either a 900 series nVidia or that new cheap AMD 480, though.

What I've got right now:
Intel i7 2600k 3.4Ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
nVidia GTX 460 Fermi 1GB
Asus VK278Q 27" 1080p 60Hz monitor

pro_zealot said:

I have GTX 1080 FE and i can say in 1080p and everything maxed out (nightmare texture) witch TSSAAx8. I have constant 60fps even in multiplayer.

you will have around 200fps by disabling vsync

Deatheye said:

you will have around 200fps by disabling vsync

...and then you can enjoy the wonders of screen tearing.

Dragonfly said:

...and then you can enjoy the wonders of screen tearing.

I don't have screen tearing

MusicallyInspired said:

My custom built system is 6 years old and DOOM was the first game it choked on quite badly in minimum settings. I think a gfx card replacement would do me fine, but I'm not going to upgrade for a number of months yet until all the new AMD and nVidia lines are released and have reviews and the prices come down to nominal levels. I'm looking at either a 900 series nVidia or that new cheap AMD 480, though.

What I've got right now:
Intel i7 2600k 3.4Ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
nVidia GTX 460 Fermi 1GB

I have almost the same system, same CPU and RAM - bought a GTX 970 for Doom and I have everything maxed out (except those 2 5GB VRAM settings) and I mostly have ~100FPS @ 1080p

AMD FX-8320 @4GHz
16GB DDR3
GTX 980
ASUS VG248QE

Runs fabulously @ 1080p, ultra settings, TSSAAx8. ~90fps in the most hectic parts of the game.

MusicallyInspired said:

What I've got right now:
Intel i7 2600k 3.4Ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
nVidia GTX 460 Fermi 1GB

The AMD RX480 seems just perfect for your system.

Deatheye said:

I don't have screen tearing

Uhuh. I'm sure you're not hitting 200fps then, and if you are, I'm willing to bet you don't have a 200Hz monitor to match it.

Besides, the whole point was not about you. It was about the advice you gave to pro_zealot to turn off vsync - pro_zealot hasn't stated what kind of monitor they have, it's safe to assume they have a monitor in the 60-144hz range until told otherwise. If they indeed have a 60-144hz monitor, they will get screen tearing if they're trying to output at 200 fps.

Dragonfly said:

Uhuh. I'm sure you're not hitting 200fps then, and if you are, I'm willing to bet you don't have a 200Hz monitor to match it.

Besides, the whole point was not about you. It was about the advice you gave to pro_zealot to turn off vsync - pro_zealot hasn't stated what kind of monitor they have, it's safe to assume they have a monitor in the 60-144hz range until told otherwise. If they indeed have a 60-144hz monitor, they will get screen tearing if they're trying to output at 200 fps.

I never said I have 200fps :D

I have around 100fps and a 60hz monitor and no screen tearing, only in cutscenes in some games

but I have a horrible input delay in many games when I have Vsync activated so that's one of the first things I turn off

Alrighty, take two!

This is what I have ordered:

i7-6700K
HyperX Fury Black 16gb
Asus GTX 1080 Founder's Edition
---------------------------------
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
SSD 250gb
HDD 1tb
Be Quiet! Pure Power BQT L8-CM-630W

Now let's hope there are no more surprises and that a week from now at worst I'll be finally enjoying DOOM4 on this monster.

Touchdown said:

Alrighty, take two!

This is what I have ordered:

i7-6700K
HyperX Fury Black 16gb
Asus GTX 1080 Founder's Edition
---------------------------------
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
SSD 250gb
HDD 1tb
Be Quiet! Pure Power BQT L8-CM-630W

Now let's hope there are no more surprises and that a week from now at worst I'll be finally enjoying DOOM4 on this monster.

I played the game through on a system with the same CPU and GPU...it is amazing.

Plasma Gun said:

I played the game through on a system with the same CPU and GPU...it is amazing.

Cool. What about that Vulkan patch though? I thought it was supposed to be released shortly after May 13th. Have I missed any news on that?

Touchdown said:

Well, what the fuck do you know! Of course it didn't work out. The earliest delivery date is June 14th, a damn week from now and I won't be able to pick it up until Wednesday. So it'll be another week and a half before I get it up and running. Just great.

Touchdown said:

Cool. What about that Vulkan patch though? I thought it was supposed to be released shortly after May 13th. Have I missed any news on that?

No idea, but I can guarantee you the performance you'll see is so good, it literally won't matter.

Well, what the fuck do you know! Of course it didn't work out. The earliest delivery date is June 14th, a damn week from now and I won't be able to pick it up until Wednesday. So it'll be another week and a half before I get it up and running. Just great.

Damn :(

You've got to be fucking kidding me...

So here's what happened. It turned out that the PC was delivered earlier than it was supposed to be, Thursday to be precise. For some reason those assholes did not inform me of that and I noticed it in the order status by accident. So I went to the delivery point on Friday, wasted 3h in traffic only to find out that not only they did not include the OS, but also apparently something was loose inside the case. So I waited until today so that their tech guy at the delivery point could take a look. But before I contacted them, I got the call from the store itself informing me that the whole thing was send back because, among other things, there was no graphics card in the case!

So here we go, another week of waiting. Note that this is not some noname store so I can't believe they've fucked up that badly. I did get a slight cost reduction for that but seriously this is the biggest streak of bad luck I've had in a long time.

Delivery point? Do you live on an island or military base or something? eheh that sounds so foreign to me, I've become a privileged ungrateful murrican: JUST MAIL IT TO MY DOORSTEP SO I DONT NEED TO PUT PANTS ON.

Touchdown said:

You've got to be fucking kidding me...

So here's what happened. It turned out that the PC was delivered earlier than it was supposed to be, Thursday to be precise. For some reason those assholes did not inform me of that and I noticed it in the order status by accident. So I went to the delivery point on Friday, wasted 3h in traffic only to find out that not only they did not include the OS, but also apparently something was loose inside the case. So I waited until today so that their tech guy at the delivery point could take a look. But before I contacted them, I got the call from the store itself informing me that the whole thing was send back because, among other things, there was no graphics card in the case!

So here we go, another week of waiting. Note that this is not some noname store so I can't believe they've fucked up that badly. I did get a slight cost reduction for that but seriously this is the biggest streak of bad luck I've had in a long time.

That's ridiculous :(

From which company did you buy this PC?

Vorpal said:

Delivery point? Do you live on an island or military base or something? eheh that sounds so foreign to me, I've become a privileged ungrateful murrican: JUST MAIL IT TO MY DOORSTEP SO I DONT NEED TO PUT PANTS ON.

I can easily choose to have it delivered to my home but then I'd have to pay that huge amount of money before even seeing the PC. Imagine if I had already PAID for it only to find that they've messed up putting the parts together. As of right now I haven't paid anything for it which is quite nice give the situation.

Plasma Gun said:

That's ridiculous :(

From which company did you buy this PC?

You mean the store? This one and also this rig.

Ok, I picked up the new PC today, two and a half weeks later. I got it up and running and I'm downloading DOOM4 right now. Hopefully tomorrow I'll finally be able to play it.

Touchdown said:

Ok, I picked up the new PC today, two and a half weeks later. I got it up and running and I'm downloading DOOM4 right now. Hopefully tomorrow I'll finally be able to play it.

Enjoy :-)

I'm thinking about building a rig soon, only problem is that I'm technologically retarded and extremely lazy (also no money)

My current PC might work but I don't know how to check its stats and shit (I think it could barely run tf2 so I might have to build a new one)