Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dg93

Hexen: How do you make a sky scroll using a skybox?

I've decided to transition over to Hexen format because I got bored of making maps in ZDoom (Doom in Doom format). I need help on how to make a scrolling sky effect. I've searched online everywhere and I still can't seem to figure it out. Is there a way to do this using a skybox?

I know it is possible to do this using a MAPINFO lump. However, I prefer not to use that lump because the map I'm making is for a DM project and I don't know if the project manager wants to use MAPINFO lumps in the wad file. Either way, I have no idea what I'm doing because I'm inexperienced with Hexen format.

File: http://www.mediafire.com/download/qagtrqqlk1bhcow/Miano_beta_3.wad

Please help me out.

You said "using a skybox" twice. What kind of "skybox" exactly are you talking about? The word can mean at least 3 different things. The first meaning (which in fact shouldn't be referred to as a "skybox") is a standard vanilla-Doom-like sky texture composed of a single texture, the second meaning is a ZDoom-specific SkyViewpoint/SkyPicker skybox, and the third meaning is an OpenGL-specific skybox consisting of multiple textures forming its sides.

the_miano said:

I've decided to transition over to Hexen format because I got bored of making maps in ZDoom (Doom in Doom format). I need help on how to make a scrolling sky effect.

Using the OpenGl method in ZDoom would be useless as the GLDEFS skybox would never be displayed.

In ZDoom (Doom in Hexen) format you could use SKY1 and SKY2 with the appropriate scrolling speed.
See: http://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO/Map_definition

Just as an example:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9pbuhwwj9tmf46e/Miano_beta_3b.wad

[edit]
For an excellent example of how to use a skybox type of sky in Hexen format, see kdizd_12.pk3.
Open map Z1M1 in GZDoom Builder or Slade3 and look for the skybox viewpoint (thing type 9080).
As an exercise try to find out for yourself how the sky scrolls.
Hint: Notice the TID of the skybox sector.

scifista42 said:

You said "using a skybox" twice. What kind of "skybox" exactly are you talking about? The word can mean at least 3 different things. The first meaning (which in fact shouldn't be referred to as a "skybox") is a standard vanilla-Doom-like sky texture composed of a single texture, the second meaning is a ZDoom-specific SkyViewpoint/SkyPicker skybox, and the third meaning is an OpenGL-specific skybox consisting of multiple textures forming its sides.

I assumed that using a skybox was a way to implement a scrolling sky feature. I didn't realize that there were multiple meanings of a skybox.

Kappes Buur said:

Using the OpenGl method in ZDoom would be useless as the GLDEFS skybox would never be displayed.

In ZDoom (Doom in Hexen) format you could use SKY1 and SKY2 with the appropriate scrolling speed.
See: http://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO/Map_definition

[edit]
For an excellent example of how to use a skybox type of sky in Hexen format, see kdizd_12.pk3.

As an exercise try to find out for yourself how the sky scrolls.
Hint: Notice the TID of the skybox sector.

Thanks for the help. I now see how the MAPINFO lump is implemented for a scrolling sky effect. I personally dislike the redsky with the fog mixed into it, so I edited it to a single scrolling sky using the gray RSKY1 patch without any fog.

I'll take a look at that wad to see how to the skybox is used to make a scrolling sky effect.