Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
beast

Passage of dark (one single player map)

Recommended Posts

Hi there. Presenting my second map, Passage of Dark.

I took a more organic (haphazard) approach, the result is a map that has much less symmetry, more dark and light zones, and a couple of tricks.

Game: DooM
Difficulty: easy and medium

Criticism good and bad welcome.

passage.zip

Share this post


Link to post

Not a bad map, very ambient with the overall darkness and tight passages. I like the gameplay, I found the ammo balance to be really good and so long as I managed it properly (using the pistol when necessary) I always had enough for any given situation, same goes for the health placement. The layout was neat, there was a bit of backtracking involved but because the map was short this wasn't really a hindrance. The aesthetic was nice, each room felt organic I didn't find anything painstakingly bare.

There were however some odd texture choices, mainly the TLITE6_1 after the lift and MARBLOD1 in that tight hallway. These seem to be really unfitting and looked ugly, there are many other texture choices that I feel could be different to better suit the map but these two stood out to me the most. The map overall could use some more details, and whilst there is some emphasis on light variation I think this could still be improved on. The small maze that contains the switch for the blue key was also very disjointed and boring, if you are to have one make sure to add lots of traps, light effects, texture details and rewards at dead-ends to make it exciting. Otherwise they offer nothing but boredom for the player.

Overall good job man, certainly a good effort for your second map, very promising indeed.

Share this post


Link to post

Pretty good map. On UV I finished it with like 100 bullets and 30 shells. (only saw that it was medium and easy-only after playing it, don't know how much of a difference it makes)
The secrets were pretty easy to find and the first one made me laugh. Seriously, a measly stimpack? Next time put ten health bonuses so it feels a bit more of a reward.

As the other poster said, the texturing could use a bit of work, and the maze was only acceptable because it was pretty short.

Finally, you should test it on ZDoom, in the round room with the lift that had a battle with a Baron, the button glitched for me. The button there lowers to the lowest floor, which was the small tunnel that alerts the other monsters. The easiest fix is to raise that sound tunnel to the top of the room, make it 1 unit tall. No-one is going to notice a 1-pixel hole if you use textures of the same color.

Share this post


Link to post

What lowest compatibility is this wad intended for? (vanilla / limit-removing / Boom / ZDoom?)

Share this post


Link to post

Fun map if you need your Doom quick fix. I had just enough ammo to get by and could've probably ended up with more if i used the chainsaw more.

Texturing was good, beside a few odd choices but those have been pointed out already. Keep up the good work though, if you're serious about this you'll keep improving.

Share this post


Link to post
Crunchynut44 said:

There were however some odd texture choices, mainly the TLITE6_1 after the lift and MARBLOD1 in that tight hallway. These seem to be really unfitting and looked ugly


Yes my texturing sense is still undeveloped, I wanted the tunnels to feel more crude than constructed. Thanks for the tip. I replaced TLITE6_1 to match the rest of the room. Would this texture PIPE1 suite the tunnels better?

Spoiler



Crunchynut44 said:

The small maze that contains the switch for the blue key was also very disjointed and boring, if you are to have one make sure to add lots of traps, light effects, texture details and rewards at dead-ends to make it exciting. Otherwise they offer nothing but boredom for the player.

Albertoni said:

As the other poster said, the texturing could use a bit of work, and the maze was only acceptable because it was pretty short.


Admittedly I could have put more thought and time into the maze, I will revisit this. Thanks

Albertoni said:

The secrets were pretty easy to find and the first one made me laugh. Seriously, a measly stimpack? Next time put ten health bonuses so it feels a bit more of a reward.


Done :)

Albertoni said:

Finally, you should test it on ZDoom, in the round room with the lift that had a battle with a Baron, the button glitched for me...


Done - I will have to start testing in ZDoom then.

scifista42 said:

What lowest compatibility is this wad intended for? (vanilla / limit-removing / Boom / ZDoom?)


Tested in PrBoom-Plus (2.5.1.4) with both Compat levels 2 and 9. That is Doom v1.9 and Boom v2.02 compatible.

Shanoa said:

Fun map if you need your Doom quick fix. I had just enough ammo to get by and could've probably ended up with more if i used the chainsaw more.



Thanks all, I appreciate all the great feedback! I will work on these issues.

Share this post


Link to post
beast said:

Yes my texturing sense is still undeveloped, I wanted the tunnels to feel more crude than constructed. Thanks for the tip. I replaced TLITE6_1 to match the rest of the room. Would this texture PIPE1 suite the tunnels better?


PIPE2 would be better. If you notice the bloodstain at the base of the PIPE1 texture it would be a perfect choice if the floor in that corridor was using the BLOOD1/BLOOD2 or BLOOD3 floor texture, PIPE2 lack that bloodstain. That's why your MARBLOD textured corridor came off as odd, you could've just replaced it with MARBLE2 for example.

Share this post


Link to post
beast said:

Tested in PrBoom-Plus (2.5.1.4) with both Compat levels 2 and 9. That is Doom v1.9 and Boom v2.02 compatible.

Maps running OK in complevels 2-4 are commonly referred to as having "limit-removing" compatibility (it would be pure "vanilla" if they also ran verifiably OK on the vanilla engine or Chocolate Doom). Once you find out your wad works on "limit-removing" compatibility, you don't need to test and mention compatibility with "-complevel 9" anymore, because PrBoom-plus users such as demo recorders who care about complevels (and don't just use the universal/highest one) always use the lowest-compatible complevel to play any map, not to mention that lesser compatibility always implies higher compatibility (unless VERY hacky exploits had been included in the map / wad / dehacked).

Also, the technically proper PrBoom-plus complevel for playing limit-removing Doom 1 wads is -complevel 3. (2 = Doom 2, 3 = Ultimate Doom, 4 = TNT or Plutonia)

Here is my FDA, recorded in PrBoom-plus -complevel 3 (for the abovementioned reason). The visual style (texturing, lighting, detailing) was very IWAD-esque, which is OK - I also liked the combinations of techbase and hellish elements. Lots of various non-orthogonal shapes of architecture were also good. Progression was OK too. Gameplay featured overly too many situations when all of the enemies are standing in a room in front of the player or simply hiding behind a corner, allowing infinite camping and inhibiting excitement, as I see it. Feel free to include other forms of combat, for example traps where the player suddenly finds himself facing monsters coming from multiple direction and/or attacking him from multiple heights and/or benefiting from their unique characteristics (Cacodemons are good at flying over unsurmountable terrain, and Barons are good in tenseful close-quarter encounters, but otherwise these enemies kinda suck as they're just bullet sponges and often better to be ran away than to be tediously fought for the sake of it).

The map was average quality IMO, neither bad nor great. Keep up the good work, still!

Share this post


Link to post

@scifista42 thanks for explaining the limit removing concept, and your FDA - I enjoy watching these. I will work on different forms of combat and feel I need to move to DOOM2 for more variety of confrontational monsters.

@Silverwolf nice "let's play" video, thanks for this :)

I have been playing other people's maps to get a feel for things.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×