Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dave_Billing

New DOOM 1 Project - DOOM: The Phobos Incursion

Currently working on a new episode for DOOM 1. It replaces episode 1, and is more or less modeled along its lines in terms of gameplay, theme, etc. Half-way there, hope to get it finished and out of the way.

I've decided to ditch ZDoom and go back to old-school vanilla style mapping, so this can be run on any DOOM port, as well as, of course, the original game executable. It's more or less a tribute episode, rather than anything outstanding or unique. Plus, it's Brutal DOOM ready! And I hope to be able to optimize it so that it plays well with BD, but is good enough as a classic DOOM episode in its own right.

I have a MODDB page for it now, I have screenshots uploaded there, so you can check them out if you like.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-the-phobos-incursion

From the screenshots it does seem like you nailed the "classic" feel of the original E1. Good stuff, will be keeping my eyes on the project.

I always really enjoy E1 remakes, and by the looks like you have some great E1 style architecture. Hopefully the atmosphere is all there too as that what makes E1 so memorable. Good luck man!

Crunchynut44 said:

I always really enjoy E1 remakes, and by the looks like you have some great E1 style architecture. Hopefully the atmosphere is all there too as that what makes E1 so memorable. Good luck man!

Thanks, man! I think adjusting the difficulty will be the main challenge, but the atmosphere isn't so hard, as the "techbase" style of mapping is relatively straightforward.

Those screens do give a nice E1 nostalgia, I would love to play this. Looking forward to the release!