Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Why is Apple such a piece of shit?

I was a PC user until my late 20s, when I switched to iMac and iPhone, under the assumption that Apple is considered an industry standard for the field I had recently entered (visual design). Now I feel as though I could have just continued using PC, which is fine because I'll be using both Mac and PC very soon, thanks to an slightly dated, not-being-used computer my dad is giving me. Yay! Of course, I'll still be using my iMac and iPhone, and it's become obvious to me that Apple is far more evil than Microsoft.

I mean, look at how iPhone charging cords ONLY work for Apple products. Or how they stopped putting disk drives in iMacs (I assume they're still a thing for PCs?). Or how almost no software ends up being ported to iMac due to having to rewrite so much of the code. Or how Mac OS is only pre-installed on Apple computers. What's the deal? Like, why are the such assholes? I know that making money is the bottom line, but obviously Microsoft didn't feel the need to adhere to such an exclusive business model. Then again, Apple is more popular than Microsoft right now, so maybe I answered my own question. Thoughts?

Pft, my Brother has always said that Mac Is good, but I think he's obviously never used one. The Mac Is so fucking limited on It's use that It's completely, I mean, COMPLETELY useless. The only thing I can see that's better than the Mac Is a iPhone and iPod Touch (I own a iPod Touch). So Apple Is more Incredibly evil than MS.

Always used PC, always will.

Hell, Joel from Vinesauce couldn't find a single virus for Mac other then playing Lose/Lose. That's how fucking limited Mac Is.

Also, the chargers? They always bothered me for some reason, dunno why. I don't even KNOW why the chargers are fucking huge. The only thing they're useful for Is being able to transfer pictures on my PC. Dunno If I could transport music to the iPod. Probably not.

Dude... Oh come on. "War... War never changes"
Always will be war between: Consoles and PC, Apple and Android, Woman and men, Old Fallout and New Fallout and so on.
It's just endless theme because always will be such guys which don't give a shit about your opinion... They just are right and that's all.

Use what u like and it's good.

And I'm sure here some clever guys with 'high education' which never used Apple before will say something: Apple never brake/crash, awesome optimization, No hackers attack, Application in store are safe and so on...

Azuruish said:

Dude... Oh come on. "War... War never changes"
Always will be war between: Consoles and PC, Apple and Android, Woman and men, Old Fallout and New Fallout and so on.
It's just endless theme because always will be such guys which don't give a shit about your opinion... They just are right and that's all.

Use what u like and it's good.

And I'm sure here some clever guys with 'high education' which never used Apple before will say something: Apple never brake/crash, awesome optimization, No hackers attack, Application in store are safe and so on...

Opinions are like that one asshole who hates everything; Everyone has one. I've never touched an Mac, but I can ensure people that It looks limited. It may be good for work and such though, that's about It for me.

"War... War never changes" sadly, like the war with the Nostalgia-fags that are bashing the new DOOM.

'tis simple. The programs used in graphic design (Adobe, previously Macromedia, etc) were better for, if not native to, Mac. The PC ports were pretty much garbage. Going to uni to study graphic design meant learning how to use a Mac. So it's ingrained in the culture.

Lecturers, themselves mostly graphic designers who failed at getting anything decent done in the industry, are not going to relearn their skillset. Using Mac will be the norm until these fools are fired / honorably kill themselves.

Macs are pretty. Artistic types, especially the more vapid set, are enthralled by pretty bling. The fact that your computer only has ONE FUCKING MOUSE BUTTON BECAUSE STEVE JOBS WAS A FUCKING CANCEROUS CHIMP is moot. You look cool while doing it. You are an artist, aesthetics are important.

Well, that's what I was trying to explain. But I didn't explain too well. While there Is some nice paint programs on PC, Mac Is nice for Adobe and other programs because I believe, I suppose, they were programmed for the Mac. I'm not a big fan of Macs, but If people like It, alright. I'm just stating my opinion, as I said In my reply, opinions are like that guy who hates on everything you like.

/agree

I agree. because i have a mac, when trying to use zandronum to join my friend's server "incorrect timezone", but on windows it works finely. Yeah, macs are a piece of shit. Too limited :/ (I can agree they're powerful, but too limited. you cannot even do something), There's only a few programs (%25 probably) that can be used on mac, while %99.9 can be used on windows

I'm kind of the odd woman out here, but statistically speaking, the overwhelming majority of work gets done on PC and Windows more so than any other os on the planet (much to my Linux using chagrin).

The appeal to apple is primarily if not exclusively in the premium feel the marketing team has put together. It's /masterfully/ done. Not even getting into the politics of it, but the facts kind of speak for themselves; premium feel and appearance of exclusivity make it desirable, a rabid fan base (like any tribe) to proselytize and convert and a rather slick little user interface that makes it appealing to new users.

Unfortunately when you look at it with cold detachment there are no real winners in the OS realm: Windows and Mac both spy on their users and have varying levels of usefulness depending on your use case while Linux lacks a lot of the commercial tools that make the other OS's more useful for work. The flip side is that its (usually) infinitely configurable and /can/ run a ton of software from Windows, Mac and Linux.

In short, let your use case define what you're going to use, do the research and don't be sold snake oil, bullshit or brand loyalty. That kind of thinking poisons the well more than you can possibly know.

All that said, I personally would write with a paper and pen and sell my novels in binders before I'd touch Mac for anything /STRICTLY/ based on principles, I despise the company.

BaronOfStuff said:

Apple stuff is generally for spazzy fucking lentil-munching hipsters anyway.

Mmm, exactly. I like iPhones and shit though, the Mac can go fuck right off.

darknation said:

The fact that your computer only has ONE FUCKING MOUSE BUTTON BECAUSE STEVE JOBS WAS A FUCKING CANCEROUS CHIMP is moot. You look cool while doing it. You are an artist, aesthetics are important.

Your age is showing, Apple has supported multiple mouse buttons since the first OSX beta in 2000, and has sold multi-button mouses for over a decade at this point.

J.B.R said:

I'll sum why Apple is such a piece of shit.
Apple it sucked back then and it sucks forever!
There ya have it.
Thank you and have a rotten apple day.

hahaha. iphones are the only good thing from apple seriously

Linguica said:

Your age is showing, Apple has supported multiple mouse buttons since the first OSX beta in 2000, and has sold multi-button mouses for over a decade at this point.

Yeah, I'm old. But I will point out that they continued to pack single button mice with their package computers for a further five years after that. Selling broken shit with built-in obsolesce to retards is pretty much what their business empire is built on. My point was that absolutely nothing has changed in that regard.

I used to think Apple was better, and owned a macbook.

Then I had to bootcamp it to play the games I liked, and ended up ruining the CPU so badly it would overheat to over 100 C on minecraft in windowed mode because it couldn't run anything decently and I pushed it too far with BF3 in 800x600 lowest settings 16 fps.

I'm now forever a PC nerd.

J.B.R said:

I'll sum why Apple is such a piece of shit.
Apple it sucked back then and it sucks forever!
There ya have it.
Thank you and have a rotten apple day.

Technically, the Apple II was an important part of PC history, and without it, who knows, Romero and Carmack may have never found an interest in coding, since I believe that was both their first computer.

GoatLord said:

Then again, Apple is more popular than Microsoft right now, so maybe I answered my own question. Thoughts?

Don't know, what even is your question?

Linguica said:

To be fair, if you blindly hate apples and want to shit on something, the multi-click "buttonless" mice could be interpreted as being only a single button.

Discussing operating systems on the internet is as pointless as discussing politics or religion. Still, I can't wrap my head around apple's success. It's like they're always trying to squeeze another dollar out of people and they're okay with it. I don't see the point of buying a machine that is 1) Way more expensive than others on the market; 2) Not upgradable; 3) Will probably lose support within 4 or 5 years. Also, they have been know to turn on webcams, microphones, tracking without the user's knowledge. Microsoft is by no means perfect, they do make a LOT of mistakes, but they atleast let you own what you pay for.

SYS said:

To be fair, if you blindly hate apples and want to shit on something, the multi-click "buttonless" mice could be interpreted as being only a single button.

This would be a fair rebuttal if half of those mice had more than a single button.

I always wondered how design work is so popular on mac computers when the interface is so dumbed-down. I mean really, the ideal mac would have no keyboard or mouse- just one button that "just works" when you plug it in, so you could JO with your other hand while pushing the button on your mac and slurping down a soy late with a straw because you're sooo busy doing graphic design or whatever shit.

SYS said:

Back in highschool, around '99, our library had a bunch of macs and I swear a couple of the newer ones had 3 button mice. But I may be old and misremembering.

With that said, how the hell does a button-less mouse function? Like a configurable steam game pad?

As a Graphic Design student, I was basically told over and over again "Mac. Mac book. Apple. Get a Mac. Whatchu doin? Get a Mac."

I got a PC instead. Haven't had any problems.

The only thing that Apple computers, or Mac Books, really have over any 'pc' laptop are the Retina displays, which are gorgeous. But I still find the Mac OS fairly inefficient when it does come to actual work. Adobe programs are nice, and a few of the Apple only programs are pretty good too, such as the Final Cut series of programs, and, um....

Is that it? I'm sure there's more exclusive software, but I can't think of anything that doesn't have an otherwise decent Windows counterpart. Garage Band maybe.

Can't recall if I've ever used an Apple product so don't know if they're crap or not.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

Microsoft is by no means perfect, they do make a LOT of mistakes, but they atleast let you own what you pay for.

Meh - while they won't take their branded hardware away from you, (though there may be some clause in the TPP which permits that) you'll NEVER own the software, not until hell freezes over.

Apple is nothing more than a marketing agency and logo at this point, literally everything else is outsourced. I know Apple isn't alone on that, but their cunty, questionable ethics combined with their tendency to release half-functional, pretty looking, piece of shit hardware is more than enough to avoid them like the plague. The iPhone was essentially being beta tested publicly until the 4S.. I can't have been the only one who noticed those things took a century to load anything and were basically always teetering on the edge of a soft crash. Horrible device but it looked good and sent texts so the public gobbled it up.

Simple equation: Crap company who makes crap hardware and crap sells like gold so Apple now has all the monies.

Apple is monoculture land of vendor lock in where style is more important than function and expandability (at least today anyway).

Azuruish said:

No hackers attack

Mac OS X and iOS have security vulnerabilities which have been attacked.

Linguica said:

How about the button below the trackpad on a laptop?

That's a perfect brainwasher for modern society. My classmates keep buying shit just because it's Apple. Some of them had even bought an older-than-dinosaur's-vomit iphone 4 recently.
When I had an ipod (it actually sucked, both in terms of quality and usability, thankfully it wasn't a big waste of money), my schoolmate had stolen my headphones just because they were apple. Right now I've got awesome super-expensive headphones, but no one seems to show interest anymore, heh.

The sad part about it is that Apple used to be one of the most important companies in the history of the computer/GUI industry. They were churning out top of the line stuff like the Apple II and the original Macintosh back in the late 70's and 80's. Then the 90's came, and they haven't been the same ever since. I guess we can blame Microsoft for taking over that industry, but Apple themselves never really tried to step up their game after 1990.