Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mito551

Doom OST Faithful Remix

So it's finally here. It's been fun for me and hopefully will be even more fun for you! (I'm still having fun with the OST for the second Doom)

https://youtu.be/pMABfQA7U0E - First Episode Showcase
https://youtu.be/8EB3XODGZE4 - Second and Third Episode Showcase

Download links are up there, but if anyone wants, here is one too:
http://adf.ly/1Zlimi

if adfly doesn't work for you:
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AAyIKU7yRXc3fdU&cid=42ADD642474F91EF&id=42ADD642474F91EF%2115249&parId=root&action=locate

Please let me know what you think, because generally I'm happy with the result, but I'm open to suggestions and am ready to introduce changes.

EDIT: soundcloud link to E1M1: https://soundcloud.com/mitori/at-dooms-gate
EDIT2: https://youtu.be/DqS1WiL1Dog - youtube.com. the whole thing's in there now. cool, right?

Reinchard said:

Really good and as you said - faithfull. But e1m1 needs some more power IMO.

thank you! i really don't know how i could do it. i like it the way it is anyway. thanks for the feedback!

T_Silverwolf said:

Just downloaded your wad and will have a listen. Thanks in advance for all the time and effort you put into this!

thank you! i hope you'll like it!

I just finished E1's track set and I gotta say: Loving it. Very awesome arrangements and some of the subtle tweaks you made to the originals to really bring out the melody (e1m5 being a stellar example) just hit the right notes for me (pardon the choice of words).

So my critiques are perhaps a bit minor but maybe you'll find something of use in them, though as we all know audio is a very subjective thing. :)

For context here's my listening setup: Audio Technica M50x headphones, Behringer UCA202 usb audio interface, Pulse Audio via Kmix and VLC on the software side.

E1M1 could use a hair more sharpness in the bass guitar to really emphasize what you're putting out I think.

E1m4's 'flute' could use something a little sharper maybe, I'm not sure what instrument that is but it sounds kind of flat and subdued against the harshness of the guitar and basslne-- so much that it stands out in a bad way by interrupting the melody.

E1M8 actually peaked out my headphones a few times with the lead guitar riffs, unless that rumbling noise is meant to be there in which case disregard my comment. Love what you did with the tempo shifts and background ambiance. (This has always been one of my favorite songs and you did it Great Justice (tm). )

E1m9: Holy shit, dude. <3 If I had one nitpick it'd probably be that the violins sound kind of distant without being staged really; it's like someone playing in another room. If it was possible to bring them closer to the foreground, that'd be nice.

On to E2!

thank you so much dude! it means so much!

you're going all out on this aren't ya :D i hope i can get a proper set with an amplifier sometimes in the future :D

i'm not sure what you mean about e1m1.

e1m4 - can't say i agree, but i hear that there is room for improvement, so i'll play around with it. i found a way to make it more complimentary than standalone as it is now and sounds nice though i'm not sure what was intent of bobby prince.
it's like in the new version it isn't even there, just powering up the guitar instead of being an additional instrument.

e1m8 - there is a background effect that's supposed to be there at all times, but there isn't supposed to be any popping. (turns out i did forget to put on the limiter, oops.) yeah, i'm pretty happy about how it came out :3

e1m9 - thanks :D i'm so happy right now :D but on to that issue - yes, this sample pack is super quiet on it's own. i don't know what can i do, but i'll try :)

Listened to E1 so far. Sign of Evil sounds really out of key to be honest. Almost like the pitchbends got rekt somehow. I do really like what's been done with e1m2 and e1m7's themes, though.

Jaxxoon R said:

Listened to E1 so far. Sign of Evil sounds really out of key to be honest. Almost like the pitchbends got rekt somehow. I do really like what's been done with e1m2 and e1m7's themes, though.

thanks man! i acknowledge the problem but have no idea what to do about it. i mean, i probably will get to the bottom of it, since you pointed it out, but not in the immediate future.
e1m7 comes to me as a surprise because man i hate how intro came out. but i just can't figure out how to do it better. so thank you :)

sorry for double-post but i would like to know why my thread was moved from wads and mods to doom general, since my thread IS about a mod. or am i reading something wrong? i actually don't know where else i could post this question.

Wait, did you just copy the MIDI data into some VST instruments? Didn't even care about pitch bends (sign of evil sounds completely screwed)? Well, not impressve. Just using a HQ soundfont in game will give a very similiar result.

ClumsyDoomer said:

Wait, did you just copy the MIDI data into some VST instruments? Didn't even care about pitch bends (sign of evil sounds completely screwed)? Well, not impressve. Just using a HQ soundfont in game will give a very similiar result.

really? which soundfont then? the whole idea is that no, that cannot be done with "just using a hq soundfont".
i'm ashamed to admit that i haven't noticed e1m8 was screwed, i have literally zero idea why. i may have just assumed it's supposed to sound like that.

UPD: i think i fixed e1m8, though at this point i'm not sure in anything and it weighs a little bit more, to account for all the emotions that i've experienced fixing the damn thing.

also, e1m4 is updated.

and my question why my thread was moved stands.