Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tjkoller

plutonia exp

Please don't yell but I need some opinions. I am far from a doomgod, but I love all things doom except the movie (which wasn't doom). I recently found final doom and installed and beat tnt with limited cheating. I have started plut. and am at lvl 7 and have already had to go in god mode for extended times on 2nd difficulty skill. Is plut levels fun and interesting enough that I should keep going or just say screw it and give up. my only other alternative is easiest skill level. thank for any opinions.

Plutonia is intentionally challenging and a different style of gameplay to the earlier IWADs. Not everyone likes it and if you don't that's okay (I'm not a fan either).

Remember that there are literally thousands of other fan-made WADs you can be playing instead if you don't like the Plutonia style.

I think plutonia is less fun singleplayer than all the other official maps, but a lot more fun on co-op than all the other official maps. Although that hinges perhaps on finding a dedicated friend to play with, as opposed to random people that play 1 or 2 maps with you then log off...

Plutonia is very much a Marmite situation. There are some here who have still yet to play it legitimately or even finish it. Personally i like Plutonia just for the nostalgia factor. Sure it can get fairly frustrating and the constant spam of particular enemies (chaingunners, being one) can get a little bothersome, but overall i found the mapset to be an excellent addition.

Practice is all it takes and if you still find it difficult, then perhaps that level of difficulty isn't suited to you. Fear not, because you wouldn't be the only one. I could name a few who detest Plutonia.

Plutonia isn't hard at all in comparison to most of later usermade maps that aimed to provide challenge, but since it's an early era wad, it has a lot of design choices that may get frustrating, for example small rooms blatantly filled with high-HP monsters, or map starts where multiple dangerous monsters immediately attack you, sometimes even from the back side.

Plutonia is one of my favorites.

BUT YES.. PICK a lower skill level and don't feel bad about it.
The POINT of Plutonia was to be harder on purpose.

tjkoller said:

Please don't yell but I need some opinions. I am far from a doomgod, but I love all things doom except the movie (which wasn't doom). I recently found final doom and installed and beat tnt with limited cheating. I have started plut. and am at lvl 7 and have already had to go in god mode for extended times on 2nd difficulty skill. Is plut levels fun and interesting enough that I should keep going or just say screw it and give up. my only other alternative is easiest skill level. thank for any opinions.

Plutonia Experiment is hell, but I would say don't do God mode and stick it out. It will help you become a better DOOM-er :-)

p.s. I beat Plutonia on UV and it was akin to eating an entire jar of Jalapeno peppers drenched in tabasco, painful but oh-so-worth it.

If Plutonia on UV is "akin to eating an entire jar of Jalapeno peppers drenched in tabasco", than is playing something like No Chance on UV like eating an entire jar of California Reapers?

Only if you do them as suppositories.

Back on topic: Plutonia is definitely worth playing through and I just gotta echo the thoughts previously posted here to turn off and keep off God mode and practice. It'll be more worth it for you to hone your skills on the iWads then to just "get through them" (on God mode) and jump into the modern user-wads that are made with players of a higher caliber in mind. Remember Plutonia was designed for keyboard controls, which isn't much of a difference to some as mouse+keyboard, but the introduction of mouselook did lead to a jump in skill level of the average gamer.

So basically just keep at it; it's worth it!

Danfun64 said:

If Plutonia on UV is "akin to eating an entire jar of Jalapeno peppers drenched in tabasco", than is playing something like No Chance on UV like eating an entire jar of California Reapers?

No. Playing it on Nightmare! is, and that's substituting the California Reaper with the one from Carolina.

ITYTD is a good choice. Double ammo, half damage taken; these differences don't change the core experience, they just make the game easier.

I agree with all above me here, but may I add that if you've time and are not bored of doom 1/2 try playing and beating those on UV or HMP till you get better, as they are easier and I find have good replayability. If not there is absolutly no shame in playing on a lower difficulty level, the game is after all, for your enjoyment.

Man, I remember playing Plutonia Exp. almost a decade ago & it was damn difficult for me but ever since I've played many mega-wads, Plutonia is a cakewalk now.

Phml said:

ITYTD is a good choice. Double ammo, half damage taken; these differences don't change the core experience, they just make the game easier.

Yes. Play on the easiest mode if you must but don't finish it on god mode. I can't see how being immortal throught the entire game can be fun. I don't remember plutonia very well (it's time for me to replay it after some years) but I remember quite well Plutonia's map 29 (Odyssey of Noises) as being the best city map of all official wads, so there's something good in there at least.

tjkoller said:

and beat tnt with limited cheating.

Well there's your problem. You resort to cheating. Don't do that.