Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

I'm playing through Doom/Doom2. Incoming demos!

Hey peoples, I decided to play through all of Doom2 and Doom from pistol starts, because why not. I recorded a bunch of demos straight from dosbox.exe using the 1.9 IWADs, so they should play perfectly in PrBoom and any other ports with demo playback support.

My goal here wasn't to do the best speedrun or UV max or whatever, just to get as many kills as I can while beating each map fairly swiftly.

I died at least once every few maps, and maps 10, 23 and 28 were particularly ball-busting (killed me at least 5 times each) but I had a blast doing this. I managed to beat the IoS on my first attempt too, which was so satisfying.

Here's the entirety of Doom2, and I'll be releasing each episode of Doom individually. I hope some on you out there get some enjoyment from this, and if you've made/enjoy a vanilla WAD you want me to record, just let me know and I'll put it on the to-do list.

Doomkid said:

My goal here wasn't to do the best speedrun or UV max or whatever, just to get as many kills as I can while beating each map fairly swiftly.

Azuruish said:

(^-__-) What's wrong with Doom Speed Demos section?

Scientists and philosophers will forever argue about it.

The problem with the "Doom Speed Demos" section begins with its name. By nature it excludes non-speedrun SP demos and, God forbid, MP demos.

No, it's just the Demos forum. The name change was a brain fart caused by an unfounded fear that people might think it was intended for demo versions of things otherwise. Never intended to exclude any kind of demos. See the first post of the "Welcome to the Demos forum" thread.

A thread like this absolutely belongs in the Demos forum, and always has done.

Thanks for moving this one, until recently I rarely checked in to this section and was also mistaken in thinking it was only for speed demos. Glad to know it's more generalized than that, I'm recently becoming very big on Doom demos and never used to be that into them.

Thanks, but I didn't move it myself; I'm not a moderator any more (in fact I'm barely even here...), but I felt able to provide some historical perspective.

(As you're the Multiplayer mod...) There's really no reason why the Demos forum shouldn't be used for DM demos too. At least, the forum's "mission statement" never excluded them, and the original DSDA (which was closely linked with the Demos forum's genesis) featured a bunch of DM demos - I even supported all DM demos that I could find in Prb+'s autoloading patterns. Though you may wish to check with the current moderators (whose toes I certianly don't want to tread on).

I obviously don't mind MP demos, coming from a MP environment originally. There's a considerable hurdle in their size though, you won't be able to attach them, which is the main draw of the section. A jungle of links to file sharing services slowly rotting into oblivion is far from a satisfactory state as well.

I wonder if the size limit could be bumped once again. MP port demos compress decently and it's possible to squeeze several duel or ctf rounds in a 10MB archive. I'm not quite sure from the top of my head, but I think Zandronum has the biggest files. It'd still require restraint from rampant demo spam, obviously, and I'm not even considering PVE demos (stuff with monsters). C/S ports have to record all the monster behaviour to keep in sync, which inflates demo size into tens or even hundreds of MB.

I'm happy to mirror any larger/port specific demos people might want to share if the attachment size isn't increased. I would be happy to see more DMs and CTFs getting recorded, some people prefer to 'peek in' before diving into servers and this could be a good thing for that. Karakurt's video thread would have more material to boot.

Doomkid said:

Nothing wrong with that, but I've gotten so anal-retentive about it, I'm not happy until I UV-Max a level. I don't feel the need to be the fastest UV-max, but I can pick and choose some that can be beaten from the DSDA all while getting better.