Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Maps you're stuck on thread

In this thread, post maps you've played that you can't figure out how to beat, whether the map be too large and complex, feature puzzles you can't crack, or a difficult combat scenario that you can't seem to find your way through.

At the moment I'm stuck on MAP08 of whitemar.wad. I spent about 40 minutes on this map and I can't figure out how to get the yellow skullkey. It's surrounded by a fence so I can bet you need a teleport to get to it. I think I found a teleport but there are bars blocking it that I dont know how to open. I found a bunch of scattered lion switches in the village and I'm pretty sure I found all of them but I don't know what any of them do.

40oz said:

In this thread, post maps you've played that you can't figure out how to beat, whether the map be too large and complex, feature puzzles you can't crack, or a difficult combat scenario that you can't seem to find your way through.

At the moment I'm stuck on MAP08 of whitemar.wad. I spent about 40 minutes on this map and I can't figure out how to get the yellow skullkey. It's surrounded by a fence so I can bet you need a teleport to get to it. I think I found a teleport but there are bars blocking it that I dont know how to open. I found a bunch of scattered lion switches in the village and I'm pretty sure I found all of them but I don't know what any of them do.

Every time you find a Lion switch, another appears! All this level takes is (a lot of) perseverance, although if you want to get 100% secrets you might need to do a few experimental resets and a large amount of back tracking.

I banged my head against the wall for awhile trying to play hellcore 2.0 maps from pistol start. for being a high-profile release (I think?) I was surprised by how obtuse and punishing many of the maps were. I complained awhile back about not having any uv-maxes as a reference for how to even get started routing them out.

Chillax MAP33. I think I know what to do...up to point, at least.

Great thread idea, and since I've had a niggling feeling in the back of my head that it's time to try Eternal Doom again, I get the distinct impression that I will be needing to post here often.

Ribbiks said:

I banged my head against the wall for awhile trying to play hellcore 2.0 maps from pistol start. for being a high-profile release (I think?) I was surprised by how obtuse and punishing many of the maps were. I complained awhile back about not having any uv-maxes as a reference for how to even get started routing them out.

I played all the wad on pistol start, many situations were really tedious. Even the txt file says that many maps are unfinished, and indeed there's a gameplay that smells of untested or just rushed to release the wad.
There are some really cool maps and moments, but overall it's a mixed bag and it wasn't ready for a release.

I've never once successfully beaten Plutonia Map 11: Hunted. I don't have the patience to run around blindly in a maze of arch-viles. Plus I don't understand how the doors work and why they sometimes open and sometimes don't. idclev past that one. Always.

The part of Deus Vult that is the start of MAP02 in the split version. I watched a demo completing the map, but there's no way I could pull that off. I don't even know if I want to try.
I'm still unable to beat every map from a pistol start on UV in Doom 2. Mostly the mid-range levels from the teens to the early 20s. The later ones might have more beefy monsters, but there's a ton of ammo (think MAP28 which gives you a BFG, a ton of cells and enough invulnerability powerups to blaze through it) that makes it easy for me.
I haven't tried to beat all of Ultimate Doom from a pistol start, but I feel it would be much easier (except maybe E4) because there is no SSG to break the game and the bestiary is more limited.

Sunder map 02. Got bored to death while rocketing them hundreds of Revenants. Not hard, just tedious like shotgunning 100 Imps in map 01.

joe-ilya said:

Every map of A.L.T.

Ha, I was stuck for an hour on MAP22 "Acidjazz" and it was driving me mad looking for where to go/what to do. Ending up using IDDT and IDCLIP a whole bunch to figure out the progression—what an obnoxious, obtuse map that was.

Eternal Doom's Excalibur. pretty much the only map out of ANY Doom mod you're likely to need a guide to get through. i only just now figured out how to beat Monster Mansion, as well (there's a secret passage behind the bedroom leading to the tennis and pool court.)

also, i think one of the maps in Doom 2 In Name Only. can't remember which one, but it's midway into the map. or maybe i actually beat that one. and one of the late levels of the Japanese Doom Community Pack. other than that, i think i've finished everything i've played legit so far.

Goddamn it... I stuck in 'Journey to Hell" in MAP08. There is doesn't exist yellow keycard... Instead of yellow keycard there is red key which i can put in my ass because it's useless in that map.
What a wonderful moment... because of this shit i have to create another fix wad to create D2ALL.
Not surprised that not exist any demo on DSDA on that map.

Map19 of Doom 2.
I got past it once in my whole life. The levels after that were a breeze.

Spoiler

Maybe I cheated a bit on map19 that time, to finish it.

Doomhuntress said:

^that's the Citadel, right? it's possible to beat that level if you only find two of the three keys, IIRC.

Yeah, you only need the red key and one other.

As for the map I'm stuck on, Sunlust MAP29.

Azuruish said:

Goddamn it... I stuck in 'Journey to Hell" in MAP08. There is doesn't exist yellow keycard... Instead of yellow keycard there is red key which i can put in my ass because it's useless in that map.
What a wonderful moment... because of this shit i have to create another fix wad to create D2ALL.
Not surprised that not exist any demo on DSDA on that map.

Heh. I made demos for practically every level apart from that one. If I recall correctly, j4rio made a wadfix but he changed a lot of the maps and from what I remember, they became insanely hard. Also a couple of maps can't be completed in PrBoom, from what I remember, you can't finish MAP13 and MAP14 because the exit button can't be pressed because it has a linedef right in front of it. Basically every map where my run is a GZDoom run on Doomedsda is one that had some PrBoom issues. Good luck with your run though.

Cacatou said:

If I recall correctly, j4rio made a wadfix but he changed a lot of the maps and from what I remember

I know... But there no fix for Map08.