Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Morgul

I have an idea for a Dawn of War WAD

Hello
I have some ideas to make a Dawn of War WAD, i'm going to list them:

Gameplay:
- You play as a Space Marine, so the suit is big and tough as hell
- There are all the Space Marine weapons, from melee to ranged, with the various shots types (Krak, Melta, Normal)
- You can get other two types of suit (Terminator armor, and the Dreadnought, with their special weapons too)
- There are grenades too (Melta, Krak, Normal)
- The weapons feeling must be strong, badass and intense, something like Guncaster or Trailblazer
- The Tier 2 (Terminator) and Tier 3 (Dreadnought) suits can be found where secret weapons can be found (like the BFG)

Now this is the accurate list of the weapons you can get with each suit (alternate fire mode included between the []) :

Normal suit: Chain Fist, Chain Sword, Bolt Pistol [Normal, Krak, Melta], Bolter [Normal, Krak, Melta], Flamer, Meltagun, Plasmagun, Shotgun [Normal, Hellfire, Inferno]

Terminator suit: Power Maul, Thunder Hammer, Heavy Bolter, Lascannon, Multi Melta, Plasma Cannon, Heavy Flamer, Assault Cannon, Auto Cannon

Dreadnough suit: Assault Drill, Seismic Hammer, Hurricane Bolter, Assault Launcher, Grav Flux Bombard

(The Terminator and Dreadnought suits don't have secondary fire because their weapons are over-freaking-power)
The only problem is that i just know how to do sprites for weapons, so i need help for DECORATES (because i need to do all the bullet types [Krak, Melta] and the sounds to
What do you guys think about this idea of mine ?
Is someone interested to help me ?
You can see what i'm working on here: http://imgur.com/a/5xPFU
Thanks

Buckethell said:

The only problem is that i don't know nothing about editing, spriting, scripting and animations
What do you guys think about this idea of mine ?

Everybody has ideas and can speak about them, but it means nothing until the ideas are getting realized, which you haven't started yet and you even admit you can't, so there's no point of interest here.

scifista42 said:

Everybody has ideas and can speak about them, but it means nothing until the ideas are getting realized, which you haven't started yet and you even admit you can't, so there's no point of interest here.

I'm trying to do something with the sprites, but alone i can't do this, i need help from somebody who likes the idea

Buckethell said:

i need help from somebody who likes the idea

The usual answer to such a comment is this:

Buckethell, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

In other words, don't expect that you come here with mere ideas and people will start getting work done for you. To convince people that the project has a good-enough hope for being finished and turning out successful (so they may potentially want to help you), you should prove your capability.

Pretty much going to echo Scifista here. Something -- anything -- showing some sort of proof-of-concept for your idea would do you all sorts of favours over just saying "hay mang I thinkda summat!"

I had the idea a week ago, and i started to mess around with the sprites just this morning, but i made this thread to get the people know about this project and mainly to find someone who can help me to do something, because i don't have experience, but i still want to make this WAD and i hope to find help from someone who got more experience.
By the way when one of my sprite will look decent, i will post some screens and updates

I did some Bolter sprites
I'm trying to do better
http://imgur.com/a/5xPFU

joe-ilya said:

If you're trying so hard, than how do you make it cutoff? With such 'effort' this shouldn't happen.

Speaking of "tryhards"...

Because i just got into spriting 3 hours ago
I'm fixing it, i will post screenshots on the Imgur link every time i do a weapons or i update something

Dreadnought implemented
EDIT: Image removed because i made a newer version, you can check it on my Imgur profile (link on the OP)

zinkai said:

I am sure there is a 40k mod for doom somewhere?

There aren't
By the way i started spriting other weapons too, and i fixed the bolter

This is the new bolter sprite
EDIT: Image removed because i made a newer version that you can see on my Imgur profile, link on the OP

zinkai said:

looks good, made from scratch or reference photo?

Thank you, i enlarged it, now it fits the HUD better
This was from Exterminatus mod for Half-Life 2

I need to modify the bullet types and assign them a secondary fire binding, but i don't know how
Is there any guide or someone who would help me ?
Thanks

Buckethell said:

I need to modify the bullet types and assign them a secondary fire binding, but i don't know how
Is there any guide or someone who would help me ?
Thanks

There is the Wiki.

Are you willing to make your mod compatible with modern-ZDoom-based ports only? If so (which 99% of gameplay mod creators nowadays do), you'll get lots of advanced and flexible features available. You can start studying them on the ZDoom wiki. I recommend you to start simple while learning the principles. Anyway, custom actors (monsters, weapons, items, player classes...) are being defined through DECORATE, and this page describes creating custom weapons in particular.

Thank you guys ^^
Yes, i'm doing it with Slade, so GZDoom is the mainly option
By the way i fixed the Bolter and i did the Bolter Pistol

EDIT: Bolter pistol image removed, because i made a newer version, you can see it on my Imgur profile in the OP

Buckethell said:

Yes, i'm doing it with Slade, so GZDoom is the mainly option

That implication makes no sense, but whatever, you're free to choose both your editor(s) and your target source port(s) independently.

scifista42 said:

That implication makes no sense, but whatever, you're free to choose both your editor(s) and your target source port(s) independently.

I thought that Slade was meant to make WADs for GZ/ZDoom, so, my mistake

Nah, don't care with that. Many of us made that mistake.

Now go do the DECORATE, or ask me to do it! :3 I love DECORATE challenges!

Gustavo6046 said:

Nah, don't care with that. Many of us made that mistake.

Now go do the DECORATE, or ask me to do it! :3 I love DECORATE challenges!

Thank you ^^
I am actually trying to do some krak shots, i'm still testing it, but i can't figure out how to add some features like the explosion sound and the kraks that comes out from the explosion (each krak must inflict damage)
So if you would like to try it with your skills, you're welcome :D
If you need the sprites i can send you the WAD

JudgeDeadd said:

Is the Bolter Pistol supposed to cover half the screen?

Don't worry, i already fixed it ^^
I have implemented the Shotgun and the Multi Melta too
I will post the screens after diner (Italian time)

You get more feedback in a couple days with a raw idea and some loose, inconsistent sprites than I had over the last years in a project for which I actually released demos. I don't get the logic of this community. Be thankful for this and don't dissapoint these people, you actually got their attention somehow. You could actually make something good.

Probably because OP has a good attitude, is putting effort in on his part and isn't going "U GUIZ R ASSSHOLES ALL I DID WAS ASK U 2 MAKE A WAD 4 ME"

That doesn't have anything to do with what I said, unless you are suggesting I behaved like that which I didn't

EDIT: I'm just saying the most unrealistic "projects" get more attention than serious projects that produce results. Not in every case, but I see it happen pretty often

Lycaon said:

You get more feedback in a couple days with a raw idea and some loose, inconsistent sprites than I had over the last years in a project for which I actually released demos. I don't get the logic of this community. Be thankful for this and don't dissapoint these people, you actually got their attention somehow. You could actually make something good.

That's because this is a (thankfully) very active forum and threads get buried fast. You should create a thread on ZDoom forum if you haven't already and keep your projects in your signature with a one liner description, so maybe if someone is interested he will check it out.

Thanks for supporting me, as i said i never did something like that before, and i am completely alone, plus i have other things to do, like go to work (i am a musician/guitar player too, so it's hard to keep doing everything at the same time)
I'm trying to make it at least a decent "project" and i put a lot of efforts to make that sprites.
Plus i'm learning how to do other things from the ZDoom Wiki, and it will take time to complete this WAD if i am the only "developer"
So please be patient, because it's hard, but i am working on it daily, both on learning and creating.
Thank you guys.
PS: I will post some other screen in 3/4 hours, as i said this morning

Sorry, i'm still working on the weapons to make them fit perfectly in proportion with the others, and make them look good in the HUD and with the crosshair
But i made this other version of the Dreadnought (Blood Ravens version, so it fits better with the main Space Marine)
http://i.imgur.com/YXxCTRIl.png?1
Or you prefer the old (Ultramarines) version ?
EDIT: I forgot this ^^

The Dreadnought could use some shading of sorts. A bit too cartoony imo.

I actually fantasized a Warhammer 40k a while back. It's nice to see it get pursued. If you really get all the monsters, weapons and sounds done then all you really need is a Magawad!

Make a little story where you face Tyranids, then Orcs, then Eldar, then Chaos etc.

**EDIT** Haha you just posted your updated Dreadnought and it looks great! Keep up the good work.

Chezza said:

The Dreadnought could use some shading of sorts. A bit too cartoony imo.

I actually fantasized a Warhammer 40k a while back. It's nice to see it get pursued. If you really get all the monsters, weapons and sounds done then all you really need is a Magawad!

Make a little story where you face Tyranids, then Orcs, then Eldar, then Chaos etc.

**EDIT** Haha you just posted your updated Dreadnought and it looks great! Keep up the good work.

Thank you very much :')
By the way it will not be THAT big, the WAD will just allow you to play as a Space Marine with just the Space Marine weapons (you can find the list in the OP) and you can find the 2 other suits (Terminator and Dreadnought) through the maps (that have their own weapons, you can find them still in the same list)
Thanks for the support :D